Engaging pull throttle cable to carb link

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Engaging pull throttle cable to carb link

Post by Kool_Biker »

Is there a trick to engaging the throttle pull cable on to the carbs throttle link.
Is there anything this side of separating, AGAIN, my just rebuilt & mated carbs rack to the engine, with lot pulled back and fastened on to the frame ready to go?

So utterly frustrating :evil: :evil:

Thanks, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Engaging pull throttle cable to carb link

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Aris, the easiest way to get the cables on the carbs is to secure them before you mount the carbs to the motor. The easiest way for me is to open the carb's linkage to full throttle, thus exposing the mounting point for the cable. I made up a simple tool for this because you never want to jamb anything in the carb throats or linkage to keep them open.

It consists of an electrical connector and a small length of picture frame hanging wire.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks for the pics, Jeff.
I will be putting the carbs back on my '80 tomorrow and will give this a try.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Great idea Jeff, thanks for the pics!
Does this method have ANY CHANCE of working with everything back on?
Well, guess I will find out soon enough enough; I will definitely give it a try before dismantling everything again.
Cheers, Aris
P.S. I was fully aware of this trait of the CBX and both cables were located correctly before mounting the carbs.
But somehow this one cable slipped and jumped out at the most inconvenient of times, as I was assembling the throttle on the bars to finish the job.
Probably I allowed it too much slack. A lesson learned.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Yes Aris it will help you while the carbs are on the bike, I also use an assortment of dental picks to guide the cable end into the linkage. When you tie off the wire to hold the carbs open make sure its not in the way of the cable stops like this.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Jeff you are right, I just did it; but it took a long time and is very frustrating process (first time?).
Arguably the whole process including building my know how took as long as it would take me to dismantle everything and put it all together. But it did save the hassle.
I include 3 pics which could save another rookie some time.
Thanks again for your support.
P1060650.jpg
P1060643.jpg
P1060652.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Mopar_Tony_SF1
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mopar_Tony_SF1 »

Disaster scenario here. Installed the carbs on engine with cables hooked up before hand. Couple weeks later got a chance to work on again ... hooked up throttle too the bars and ...doh!! Got the cables mixed up! Have to twist throttle opposite direction to open up carbs. Ugh. Besides the above, and other tips / tricks to replace cables without pulling the carbs ... thanks.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Tony,

You'll only do that once. Don't ask how I know. :oops:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Mopar_Tony_SF1
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mopar_Tony_SF1 »

Yeah .. removing the carbs is the way to go to engage the pull cable. Any other way is a good way to get admitted to the funny farm.

asquier
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by asquier »

Thank you all for this post and the photos. I am in the final stages of a frame up restoration and received the rebuilt engine back from the shop with the carbs already mounted and was terrified to have to pull them just to attach the opening throttle cable. After many failed attempts and about 4 hours of frustration I finally got it!
I would like to point out that the attachment point on the bell crank for this cable sits at somewhere between the 4 o'clock and 7 o'clock position depending on how open the throttle plate is. It's very difficult to see this and once I did the cable slipped into place with the tools you Gents recommended. Thanks again!

sixofsix
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by sixofsix »

The hot set up is to pre-curve the cable and if you are so lucky practice on a spare unmounted set. I also find electrical tape holding the cable from turning inside sheath helps. Now if you could zip cut out the frame rails above the carbs so you could see the detail of where the cable goes...Anyways, a nice curve on the end and picks to guide the cable is paramount. If you can get the cable installed, practice turning the shift fork shaft around with the engine in the bike...that is even more loads of fun.

DaveBern

Post by DaveBern »

I just had to do this as I connected the cable before mounting the carbs, but didn't fit the outer into the holder as I didn't like the bend in the cable with the engine tilted. Of course, it came out as I was cranking the engine back up into position. I used the eyelet method to hold the throttle on full, but the trick was to have one hand under the rack to guide the nipple into position while maneuvering from the top. I also found that removing the whole cable from the frame so it's not constrained made a big difference. It also helps to have little hands....

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

Mopar_Tony_SF1 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:20 am
Disaster scenario here. Installed the carbs on engine with cables hooked up before hand. Couple weeks later got a chance to work on again ... hooked up throttle too the bars and ...doh!! Got the cables mixed up! Have to twist throttle opposite direction to open up carbs. Ugh. Besides the above, and other tips / tricks to replace cables without pulling the carbs ... thanks.
Don’t think you’re alone!

I did the same exact thing boy I did I beat myself up for dumb move like that but will be sure I don’t make that mistake again

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Me too. You'll only do it once.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”