Best 6 to 1 exhaust system for a 79 Z ?

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Best 6 to 1 exhaust system for a 79 Z ?

Post by Kool_Biker »

Hi
What is the best performing 6 to 1 system available today for a 79 Z?
P1060067.jpg
I have installed an old Marshal on my bike.
I love the sound, no idea about performance but it is falling appart and therefore looking for a good permanent solution.
Any thoughts?

Cheers
Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Best 6 to 1 exhaust system for a 79 Z ?

Post by EMS »

I am not a friend of 6-1s, mainly because they give the bike an unbalanced look when installed. "Performance" is relative, Aris. It depends on where you want your "perfomance".
It will be a different exhaust for high rpm/top speed performance on European freeways or seat-of-the pants-feel, mid-range roll-on acceleration for twisties and riding with limited top speeds as we do in the U.S.
For the first, there is the "Schuele" exhaust, an elaborately tuned 6-3-1 header made in Germany, and for the second, I don't think there is a good 6-1.

Last edited by EMS on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

If I was half as literate as Mike, I would have (tried) written that, word for word

In almost any motoring effort, the 'best' horsepower anything usually gives you 5% or so at the very top of the RPM range, where actual peak horsepower is measured. If you're going for lowest quarter mile ET or the highest trap speeds, you're in luck because that's what these sorts of improvements give you

But if you want to ride it or drive it in the real world, a little more grunt in the midrange would be so much more useful . . . . and you'd actually get to make use of it everytime you ride . . . . not just when the law is chasing you home :lol:

But . . . . if you just *have to have* a 6 into one to off-balance your CBX, there is nothing like a Schule . . . . 6 into 3 into one carefully tuned equal length pipes and all in beautiful stainless steel

Don

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Hi Mike, Don

Thanks for your speedy responses, I have learned something new; I'd never heard of Schule before. I looked them up in the web and their exhaust looks fabulous (not sure about the end can).

What European freeways chaps; I live and work in Greece, which is primarily about fabulously pretty empty secondary winding roads, where the sea and mountains intertwine - almost coexist. And my riding style is most certainly about midrange torque :D

Now that performance is settled, the two remaining reasons I would like to further look into 6 to 1 systems are, sound and low weight.
I would welcome more inputs, if any, please.

Thanks again!
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

I like the DG that came on my '79. They're very reasonably priced, it seems to have good midrange, sounds wonderful, but it apparently doesn't do peak hp very well (I say apparently because my bike is down on peak hp, but is running too rich). I suspect the bike will be within 3-5 hp of a normal 6-2 system when it's jetted correctly.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

IMO, the weight of the system is entirely secondary - It's down so low that it doesn't markedly affect handing . . . . removing 3 or 4 pounds from the bottom frame rail isn't something to shoot for, at least not to me - There are more important considerations

I agree wholeheartedly that sound (and looks) are what exhausts are all about. I've heard most all of them up close and personal and for my money, nothing comes close to the sound of the 6 into 6 Pipematers at full song - A short ride on my CBX every week or two gives me a much needed 'fix' and after that, the whole world is 'right' again. Second to the Pipemasters for me though would be the sound of the Schule . . . . but the Pipemasters are stainless too, sound better, look much better . . . . and they cost less. It was a 'no-brainer' for me

Pipes are a very personal thing - You should go with whatever floats your boat. One seasoned sailor once told me that "There is no sailboat so ugly that it won't bring a smile to *somebody's* face as they row away from it in the dingy" . . . . that smile tells you that you've bought the 'right' boat - CBX pipes are like that too

Don

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Aris -

Here is a fun video I made of a couple of CBX's playing around in Ohio. Just food for thought.

Steve

82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

The first bike in the video was my '79 with the Pipemasters, the second bike was Dan's naked '81 with a Kerker 6 into 1, the third was Steve's '82 with the stock Honda exhaust and the last bike was Mike's '80 with a Bassani 6 into 1

Don

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Personally, I like the sound of the Kerker best, but that can be drastically altered by the baffle chosen and the packing. The Bassani is second, to my ears. But it shows how we all have our favorites.

I have a set of Kerker 6-2 hanging out in the garage, trying to find a set of the old "Q" (Quiet) baffles for them. You can still get the other baffles, but the Q has been discontinued.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

That Kerker sounds exactly like my DG (I believe that the headers may be exactly the same??).

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Kerker and D-G are not the same header. The D-G is a Bag-of-spaghetti compared to the Kerker. I think D-G went for that look to emphasis the fact that there are a LOT of pipes there. It does draw attention.

The Kerker is much tighter in appearance, perhaps a bit too tight. Thank heavens we have choices.. :)
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

oilheadron wrote:That Kerker sounds exactly like my DG (I believe that the headers may be exactly the same??).
Thats because they are the same, I'm not sure how the recent faux Kerkers are being passed off as a Kerker system, they are of a DG design with a Kerker can.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

The bike with the Kerker seems to be running a little rich like my DG does, I wonder if it has stock jetting.

mrcbx
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mrcbx »

I really like my Winning.....Image
79 CGR CBX, 01 CBR1100xx, 84 VF1000F Interceptor, 82 CB1100R, 82 GS1000SZ Katana, 83 Kawasaki KZ1000R ELR, 82 Kawasaki GPZ1100B2, 83 Suzuki GS1000s Wes Cooley, 86 Yamaha FZ750, 86 Honda VFR750F, 95 Honda CBR900RR Urban Tiger...

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Powerflow in South Africa, produce a replica of the Bassani in SS. At the moment they don't ship to the USA but I heard that people in the US are looking into changing that.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”