Grinds going into 2nd gear

6Pipes
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Grinds going into 2nd gear

Post by 6Pipes »

Heres a quick question.

My bike shifts normally when I'm just crusing but shifting into 2nd gear with the revs up around 8K it seems to grind a bit.

Is that normal?
Last edited by 6Pipes on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: Grinds going into 2nd gear

Post by Don »

I don't know - Can't ever recall shifting *into* second gear at 8,000 RPM's . . . .

Don

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Here's a bit of advice I've given more than one guy - power shifting a CBX will get expensive. The clutch will go very quickly. If you miss a shift, there is no rev limiter, except whatever breaks from burying the tach. Now, these engines will stand over-revving a bit, but power shifting and missing one will put the rpms in the stratosphere. Also, these engines make a few peculiar noises, the alternator being one. You should thoroughly check out the alternator before really running the bike very hard. They are known for trashing bearings, springs and clutch plates if everything is not up to snuff.

Normal riding and even running to redline, but chopping the throttle when shifting, will cause no problems, but the clutch will not stand speed shifting. I used to drag race my '79 and the clutch would only last a dozen hard runs. It is a weak link in an otherwise fantastic engine. You can run the crap out of these things, but do yourself a favor and DON'T speed shift!

Dave

6Pipes
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 6Pipes »

I am still experimenting and getting to know the bike. The few times I have run it hard I have shifted out of first into second around 8K (conventionally) reduce throtte, depress clutch, shift and back on the throttle. I have noticed that the gears grind slightly shifting from 1st to second but no issues from 2nd - 3rd. This only happens at high revs. Not sure if it's normal but wanted to run it past you guys for comments.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Jay:
The bike should shift normally enough during the exact scenario you describe. These transmissions are pretty trouble-free, the common glitch being a false neutral between 4th and 5th if you are not deliberate. If you could see how far around the horn the shift fork has to travel for that shift, you'd see why. I can't say I've ever heard any noise such as you describe. I would check the clutch adjustment from the bottom up. Check free play at the housing adjuster on the cover, then free play at the lever. Your clutch may not be releasing completely. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.

Dave

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”