Website skins and view problems - was: Gallery created

Ask questions about how the Forums work. (Please read FAQ in header/top of this page first)
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Website skins and view problems - was: Gallery created

Post by EMS »

Terry wrote:How do we find your gallery, or anyone's gallery for that matter?
Provided you see the word "Gallery" right between "FAQ" and "Members" in the light blue part of the header on the right side, clicking on this word will take you to all galleries. Public as well as private. If you don't see that, once again your PC screen may be set up different and may require a little tweaking.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Gallery created

Post by Terry »

This is what I see,

FAQ Search Members User Control Panel

And I have to change something on my computer?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Terry wrote:This is what I see,

FAQ Search Members User Control Panel

And I have to change something on my computer?
You are using the skin SubSilver2. I am about to delete it as I am not going to support two skins. If you revert to Prosilver you will see the site as it is intended. Not all the modifications we have added work in the other skins, including Gallery.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NilsMenten wrote:[ You are using the skin SubSilver2. N.

I remember somebody recommended that in order to improve the view. I was just curious then and tried to find how I could change to that and never was able to. Not that I want to change, but how do you?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Change it back please. I'll make do seeing pics in the threads and not the gallery. Without sub silver 2 most all my pics are cropped.
Last edited by Terry on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Terry wrote:Change it back please. I'll make do seeing pics in the threads and not the gallery. Without sub silver 2 most all my pics are cropped.
Sorry Terry, as I PMed you, it introduces a big variable for me in how things work and so then supporting folks that report difficulty gets more complicated. Not all plug-ins or site modifications work in all site 'skins'. I have my hands full as it is, I don't want to maintain an alternate version of the site for the benefit of the 5 people that were using it (out of ~1500). I hope you think that's reasonable of me.

If a user creates a personal gallery, you can find it within the 'galleries' link at the upper right, or if you look below the user's avatar to the right, a little camera icon appears, Click that in any user's avatar where you see it to be taken directly to their personal gallery.

N.
Nils Menten

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

NilsMenten wrote: . . . . I don't want to maintain an alternate version of the site for the benefit of the 5 people that were using it (out of ~1500). I hope you think that's reasonable of me.
Make that 6 (at least) Nils - I much preferred what I had yesterday to what I'm stuck with today

But . . . . I understand your limitations (we certainly have no right to ask for any more of your time than you're already putting in now) so if we can't have the 'pretty, easy to use one' we'll have to learn to adapt ;)

Don

bigfish_Oh
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bigfish_Oh »

I guess I am missing something, I been here less than week and at 51 years, I created and edited my gallery !!?? I haven't figured out how to reorder them yet by individual choice, not asc,des,etc.

thanks for the efforts that often go un rewarded
2009 GMC 3500 Duramax CC Dually 4wd
1999 Valkyrie Orange/Black
1957 WD45 Allis Chalmers Grandpa bought new
ICOA #1214

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Don wrote:
NilsMenten wrote: . . . . I don't want to maintain an alternate version of the site for the benefit of the 5 people that were using it (out of ~1500). I hope you think that's reasonable of me.
Make that 6 (at least) Nils - I much preferred what I had yesterday to what I'm stuck with today

But . . . . I understand your limitations (we certainly have no right to ask for any more of your time than you're already putting in now) so if we can't have the 'pretty, easy to use one' we'll have to learn to adapt ;)

Don
There were a total of 5 using that skin Don, including you and Terry. I hear you regarding your preference, and I wish it were easier (or that I had help), but it's just a matter of priorities. I can't maintain a separate instance of the site for 5 people when I am concentrating on 1500. I appreciate your understanding.

N.
Nils Menten

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

We appreciate all that you are doing, Nils and I wish we - or someone - could help you more. I also sympathize with those who do have problems with the site and obviously would prefer something different to make it easier for them. What other than the picture issue is different with the other skin?

Maybe we should split this thread and move the discussion to the "Help Desk" section :? :?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:We appreciate all that you are doing, Nils and I wish we - or someone - could help you more. I also sympathize with those who do have problems with the site and obviously would prefer something different to make it easier for them. What other than the picture issue is different with the other skin?

Maybe we should split this thread and move the discussion to the "Help Desk" section :? :?
It's a substantially different 'view' of the site, different layout, different graphics, the user avatars are on the left, etc. It also requires a totally different graphics set to be loaded on the back end. As a result the header and footer aren't 'branded' with the club logo, and all the little graphics that are needed to access the add-ons, bb scripts, and other customizations that have been done (and will be done in the future) all have to be duplicated or created anew. Then when a user using that skin says "Hey, how do I <foo>" and me or another user replies "Oh, you just click <bar> and then you'll see <foobar>", the user and everyone else reading it get confused because nobody thinks to mention that they are one of the 5 people out of 1500 that are using the other skin.

It's a nice idea, and if you ran a totally vanilla instance of the board software, then in theory these skins would be 'plug and play', but even then they are not - they still require tweaking. Remember the 2 months after the cutover and all the bugfixes I had to chase down? Multiply that 2x to maintain a separate skin.

I don't want to do it. I'm in the middle of scanning and PDFing 70+ old printed copies of the CBXPress, and then I want to get back to finishing the construction of the club website, and a few more little projects and by then I will have been working on the club web stuff for about a year straight.

Is everyone OK with my selection of my priorities and the use of my time?

N.
Nils Menten

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

NilsMenten wrote:
Is everyone OK with my selection of my priorities and the use of my time?
Yes.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NilsMenten wrote: Is everyone OK with my selection of my priorities and the use of my time?

N.
You call the shots :thumupp:

Return to “Help Desk Questions for Using Forum”