Embarassing wheel question

oilheadron

Embarassing wheel question

Post by oilheadron »

:oops: What is THE correct way to reinstall the stock front wheel on a '79?? By that I mean, how much do you tighten the threaded collar on the axle, do you do that before or after actually placing the wheel in the forks, how is the wheel centered correctly (by centering the rotors in the calipers??), etc. I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm just the guy to ask one. :P I've searched and don't see anything that explains the procedure. A service manual is on the way, of course.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Embarassing wheel question

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I tighten the front axle bolt before i put the wheel in the forks. The manual says 55-65 pounds.
The wheel is on the axle by the spacer on one side and the speedo drive on the other. I usually have both calipers off the forks but i think removing one will work when mounting the wheel. They are easily mounted after the wheel is in place and the axle holders are tightened.
I hope some of this makes sense.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The front wheel is positioned correctly into the forks by the axle caps and the axle, provided spacer and speedo drive sit properly.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

Thanks for the responses. A problem I'm having (and the biggest reason I asked in the first place) is that when I tighten the axle collar much at all (well under 55-65 lb), it locks the wheel up. ??? Also, at that point the axle is too narrow to fit into the caps properly. I gotta get back out there and eyeball what's going on inside the wheel (missing spacer maybe???).

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Something must be missing, in the wrong order or maybe you have a funky wheel bearing.
Maybe this is connected to your seizing brake caliper...things not lined up properly.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 00/o/m9575
Check this schematic until your manual arrives.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

The problem turned out to be that one of the fork inner tubes was slightly bent. A little quality time on THE TORTURE RACK (a big hydraulic press) took care of that very nicely.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Thanks for the follow-up, Ron.
I sometimes forget to post the solution to my problems.
So i guess the bent fork was probably contributing to the caliper problem.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

Actually the calipers were all stuck (or about to stick) so I ended up rebuilding all of them (including a replacement rear caliper that I got from Louis since the bleeder in the original caliper was broken off and was absolutely,totally, completely, resolutely stuck). NOTHING would remove it. We tried everything and finally drilled it out but the seat was damaged in the process.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”