What's this engine noise?

82seebeex
New Member & Happy To Be Here

What's this engine noise?

Post by 82seebeex »

First off,
glad to be able to post after being enabled. Fun being reborn

Newbie to CBX here.. after getting back on the saddle in 2004 with a 2000 Roadstar which I customized. Then an 05 Concours
to play a bit more, then the urge to go back to my younger roots ...an 05 DR650, which I just traded for an 82 CBX.
I had read a private trade opportunity for a DR so I went for it. It's great buying things now that I couldn't buy when I was younger...

So I do a 4km back road test ride, Runs / feels great. The next day, I go a bit longer and at one point haul on it in 3'rd
and shut down with engine brake as I approach a 30 mile zone. I down shift to 2'nd as I start to turn around and I give it a rev in between
and on the down rev matching the rpm is a sound like a stick running down a picket fence!!! I small rev agian - no noise on the rev - just the rev down. I thought something threw out and I was going to see oil! After I stop - then go, it's fine... wait 2 hours - start it up and do 3 revs - no noise...

I need a definative answer - the seller said he thinks it's the clutch basket /after gearing down too fast????

need an expert to chime in before I ride again.

thx in advance
82 stock - 30,000 kilometers, barely broken in

Keith

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: What's this engine noise?

Post by Rick Pope »

Most likely, what you heard was the alternator clutch chattering. The mileage is about right for the bike to need alternator bearings, a simple and cheap fix. When the bearings start to drag, it causes the clutch to slip. Check it out NOW, as while the bearings are cheap, the alt. cluch is not.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

82seebeex

Post by 82seebeex »

RP
thanks for the expertise. I have a service binder & cd. I will tackle it if it looks straight forward.
where is best place to order in / from Canada? not big on the UPS border duty pillage from States.

cheers

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Hey Keith,

This just came up with Tom Winegar's bike. Check this post out and the links in it:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6453

Extracting those bearings and seals first will let you trot down to a nearby bearing house that can likely match them up on the spot. Definitely lap those plates flat while you're in there and shim the spring, and you may as well replace the brushes if they're getting low while you're there.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

82seebeex

Post by 82seebeex »

thanks - I hope this is the fix.
k

82seebeex

Post by 82seebeex »

NilsMenten wrote:Hey Keith,

This just came up with Tom Winegar's bike. Check this post out and the links in it:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6453

Extracting those bearings and seals first will let you trot down to a nearby bearing house that can likely match them up on the spot. Definitely lap those plates flat while you're in there and shim the spring, and you may as well replace the brushes if they're getting low while you're there.

N.
N.M,

I called the previous owner and went over in more detail his resto repairs...this was his uncles orig. bike and he gave to him and he spents $2000
on tires / chain - sprockets/ fork seals/ alt. brushes replaced / plates and said bearings looks fine??? drove 5000 km this year and was smooth.
I really want to think he's being straight as the whole deal has been smooth until now

It cold starts easily but stammers like a diesel for 30 secs. until it hits the sweet note? this normal? Seller said all cylinders get equal fuel and they sync up?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

82seebeex wrote: N.M,

It cold starts easily but stammers like a diesel for 30 secs. until it hits the sweet note? this normal? Seller said all cylinders get equal fuel and they sync up?
Does it do this only as long as it is cold? All Hondas are notoriously cold blooded and like to run on choke a little longer than other bikes after started up cold. If not, it could be a carb issue. Slow jets.

82seebeex

Post by 82seebeex »

the diesel sounding stammer is only when it's cold but it happens 2x during warm up. temp here is 75?
tonights 2'nd / longer ride.... it started up and knocked until it smoothed out - the rev is limited to around 3k as it cushions out a bit. So I let sit another 30 secs . -bit quicker revs.... after 1 min. - takes off smooth. After I'm out of the home area... it ran smooth - never had rpm over 6000 and never had the chatter. So it has to be when I hammer the snot out of it as I challenged 3'rd gear to 130km then shut down...It didn't like that but it's a sign that something is not quite 100%, look into the alt bearings. I ran my 78 550k Honda, back in the day, hard enuff and it was great. The CBx feels like it wants to run all the time - looking down, I caught myself 10 - 20 over the limit - real easy to do. I love this bike.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”