Fork oil

rippper43
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Fork oil

Post by rippper43 »

I need to know how much oil my 82 takes in the forks my "manual" does not tell me anything. any help would be great.
Thanks
RIP

EDIT: Moved to 'Suspension' forum by administrator
White is right...

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Fork oil

Post by zxbob »

Mine says 305cc "or" 305 X 0.03381 = 10.3 oz

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It says in section 13-2 on page 190 in the 81/2 srvice manual: Front fork fluid capacity 305cc (10.3 oz)/345cc (11.7oz).
In typical service manual confusing manner, the smaller quantity is listed for disassembly and the higher one for draining :roll:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

On all Honda forks of this era, you can ignore the manual and just do this: With the spring removed and the tube collapsed completely, fill the fork to 6 inches from the top. That will always be more than Honda calls for, but the fork will work a bit better set up that way. It will not hydraulic lock at 6 inches. I never use heavier than 10wt and prefer 7wt if you can find it. Try this and see if you don't find it works better.

Dave

rippper43
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rippper43 »

EMS wrote:It says in section 13-2 on page 190 in the 81/2 srvice manual: Front fork fluid capacity 305cc (10.3 oz)/345cc (11.7oz).
In typical service manual confusing manner, the smaller quantity is listed for disassembly and the higher one for draining :roll:

That is what I thought it said but my manual is a copy of a copy and is hard to read. Thank you.
White is right...

rippper43
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rippper43 »

zxbob wrote:Mine says 305cc "or" 305 X 0.03381 = 10.3 oz

Bob

Thanks Bob.
White is right...

rippper43
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rippper43 »

daves79x wrote:On all Honda forks of this era, you can ignore the manual and just do this: With the spring removed and the tube collapsed completely, fill the fork to 6 inches from the top. That will always be more than Honda calls for, but the fork will work a bit better set up that way. It will not hydraulic lock at 6 inches. I never use heavier than 10wt and prefer 7wt if you can find it. Try this and see if you don't find it works better.

Dave

This is the method I have used on all my bikes in the past and it always worked good for me. although I will use 15w because I am a BIG guy. I pump it up and down a few times to get all the air out of the oil so you get the right amount in with no air pockets.
Been a long time since I did any fork work. I knew the answer, but it took your reply to jog my old tired memory.
Thanks for your help.
White is right...

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”