turn over engine

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

turn over engine

Post by DevonCbx »

Presently I have a 79 CBX that needs the head rebuilt. I also have a complete 80 CBX engine that probably has not been turned over for several years. I would like to check the compression on this engine. What procedures should I take prior to turning the engine over. I do not plan to start the engine. I just want to hook a battery to it ,to check the compression. Should I pour oil down the plug holes first etc. :?:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: turn over engine

Post by alimey4u2 »

Duane,
Drain the engine oil & replace the filter. Drop the sump plate & inspect/clean the oil pump strainer . Refill with oil to about 1/2 the dipstick measure. Pull the plugs & pour a tablespoon of engine oil down each cylinder, leave overnight. Remove the cam cover & fill the cam wells with oil. Remove the right crankcase cover & turn the engine over several times by hand ( with a spanner.) If all seems well, replace the covers & spin the engine with the starter. Oil will come shooting out the plug holes so keep them covered with a cloth. Don't forget you need the the oil cooler connected... & don't forget to top the oil up prior to firing. I would run the oil for a few hundred miles & replace...

Sure I have missed something & am sure others will add...

Good luck.... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by DevonCbx »

Thanks for the info. I really donnot want to start the bike. I just want to get compression readings. This motor sat for years. The carbs must be gummed up etc.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks from me too, Larry. Sounds like you have done this once or twice or...
I remember gettting a face full of oil from a 400F top end that i had forgot to cover after removing the plugs. One of those things you only do once.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:I remember getting a face full of oil from a 400F top end that i had forgot to cover after removing the plugs. One of those things you only do once.

Exactly Steve, I can still remember the taste of that oil even now... :D
ICOA # 656

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”