Rear tire damper rubber

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Rear tire damper rubber

Post by DevonCbx »

I noticed on the rear tire inside the hub there are 5 damper rubbers. Are they the same because I did notice that there are different numbers stamped on each one. I would like to know if there is a certain order or sequence. They all appear to be the same. Also, what is the purpose of these.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The damper rubbers are all the same. The stamping is probably from the mold, which is a multiple die. You answered the question about the purpose yourself: They are damper rubbers, intended to protect the chain and rear hub from torque spikes. Remember that in 1978, the CBX was the first street motorcycle to produce over 100hp. The KZ1300 that came half a year later had 120hp with a shaft drive. I think Honda engineers wanted to be on the safe side. Later bikes with more horsepower didn't have the rubber dampers anymore and many custom CBXes have wheel conversions without them.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:The damper rubbers are all the same. The stamping is probably from the mold, which is a multiple die. You answered the question about the purpose yourself: They are damper rubbers, intended to protect the chain and rear hub from torque spikes. Remember that in 1978, the CBX was the first street motorcycle to produce over 100hp. The KZ1300 that came half a year later had 120hp with a shaft drive. I think Honda engineers wanted to be on the safe side. Later bikes with more horsepower didn't have the rubber dampers anymore and many custom CBXes have wheel conversions without them.
Honda has continued to use them in some bikes, my old 91 ST1100 being one, and a friend's CBR600F4 being another.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I believe the Blackbird has them, while the Henderson does not. :roll:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

The Henderson would be oh so cool (and decades ahead of it's time) if it had come with a shaft drive . . . . but then most of it is already 'decades ahead of it's time' anyway

It does need a few molded sparkplug boots . . . . even though they may not look stock ;)

Don

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Don wrote:The Henderson would be oh so cool (and decades ahead of it's time) if it had come with a shaft drive . . . . but then most of it is already 'decades ahead of it's time' anyway

It does need a few molded sparkplug boots . . . . even though they may not look stock ;)

Don
Molded boots would just take some of the excitement out of the ride. Those bare plugs will zap you through jeans and insulated riding pants. Rain soaked jeans conduct really well. :shock:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”