Reinstalling Baffles

Ken Gluckman
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Reinstalling Baffles

Post by Ken Gluckman »

I recently bought a stock exhaust system on eBay and paid a high price for it because it was said to be in excellent condition. When I received it, it looked great.

After installing the system on my bike (a 1979), I thought it was very loud and have now confirmed that the baffles have been removed. Apart from the fact that I got screwed on the purchase, I am also surprised that the baffles could be removed while leaving the system cosmetically untouched. I would have thought that removing the baffles would have left some indication of the effort.

Anyway, my question is what can I do now? Since the baffles were removed without damage, is it possible to reinstall them (if I could find a pair)? Is there any other way to modify these exhausts to make them sound like an original system without damaging the exterior?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ken Gluckman

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

Ken,

I can't help you with the baffles (never been inside the pipes) but I can offer you some positive info about eBay. The first thing you should do is file a 'fraud' claim with eBay (right away), look for it in the 'help' area. List the problem (missing baffles), be sure to detail the description of the auction listing. If you haven't deleted it yet, you can still find it by the item #. Print it out for reference. Ebay will provide you with the name and phone number of the seller (you probably already have the name, etc). Call the seller and ask for a partial refund (figure out what the altered pipes are worth) and let him know you will pursue the fraud complaint. If you wish documentation, email him with a detailed list of facts. You will photograph the pipes for eBay; you will take the pipes to a local dealer and ask him for a notorized letter describing the altered pipes and his opinion of their value, all of which you will provide eBay to substantiate your claim. If this doesn't motivate the seller to provide a refund, do all of the above and follow through the fraud claim with ebay. Usually, the threat is enough to get some of your money back but, if not, then, at least, you have the satisfaction of 'sticking' it back at the seller for misrepresentating the pipes. If you just roll over about it, the seller can just do it to someone else. I had a seller try to pull a fast one on me (also a muffler) and when I listed out these options, a refund appeared like magic. Luck. :D :D

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

Do not wait on taking action :!: Theres a time limit on how long Ebay will help you. I had a guy hose me on a set of chain and sprockets. He kept promising me he would make it right and as soon as the time period was up he couldn't be found any more. Let us know how you make out. Good luck

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

2nd endorsement!!! :!: :!: :!: DO IT NOW!!! Like I said in the first reply 'right away' :!: :!: :!: You can always cancel the fraud charge but, like Dave said, eBay has a time limit and if you don't move on this before it expires, you then have NO recourse. Once you file 'Fraud', then the time limit stops until it is resolved. And if you're afraid of being the 'bad guy' and don't like to make trouble, just think of the next buyer this guy sticks it to.

Ken Gluckman

Post by Ken Gluckman »

Thanks for the tips on eBay, but that part of the problem has been resolved.

What I really need now is a good description of what the original baffles look like and how they attach. What would be perfect is if I could get a rusted out or otherwise damaged CBX muffler to dissect to see how it all goes together.

Can anyone help with any of this?

Thanks.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”