Oil Cooler Upgrades

Land_Shark
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oil Cooler Upgrades

Post by Land_Shark »

Anybody have any opinions or thoughts on a good oil cooler upgrade other than using a later-model cooler? I'm thinking of using one from a newer model sportbike (i.e. GSXR1300) and I'm wondering about the ramifications as far as oil pressure, etc. Someone somewhere mentioned something about increasing the pressure via shimming the relief valve on the oil pump for an increased capacity oil cooler. Thanks for any info 8)

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

CBX oil coolers....

Post by sr71cbx »

Land Shark,
The CBX engine uses a 2-stage oil pump,one half of the pump provides high volume/pressure to the engine specifically and the other stage supplies oil at hi-volume/low pressure to the trans,primary shaft & tensioner,and also circulates oil thru the cooler and back to sump.
If you want to change the relief setting in the oil pump,this necessitates splitting the cases to access the hi-pressure relief spring.The engine side can benefit from additional oil pressure if you have a racing application where hi-RPM usage is common,but the low pressure side that feeds the cooler doesn't need that.It will circulate oil just fine,I run a 13 row aftermarket automotive cooler on my turbo X and it works great.
Hope this helps,take care & ride safe,
----------Mark Miller#0938 8)

Land_Shark
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks Mark

Post by Land_Shark »

Well let's just say that my cases are already split...LOL. My entire motor is apart at the moment and I'm just gearing up to put it all back together so now would have been the time to modify my oil pump. But thanks for the info it seems I probably don't need to do anything to the pump. Appreciate the feedback :D

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”