Kerker inserts

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Kerker inserts

Post by Rick Pope »

I pulled an old set of Kerkers (6-2) from the barn, polished them up a bit, and slipped them on. While fitting them to the bike, I looked into the end and saw......nothing. There's an aluminum end cap, but a flashlight reveals much emptiness in those megaphones.
So, my question is: Does anyone know of a source of Kerker baffles? I know they made a "Q" (quiet) baffle, and that's what I'd prefer, but I doubt I can be choosey.
Meanwhile, I guess I could take it to the local Bike Nite and show the boys what "loud" is......
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Kerker inserts

Post by EMS »

Rick Pope wrote: Meanwhile, I guess I could take it to the local Bike Nite and show the boys what "loud" is......
Hey, Rick, it is always good to save a few lives.... :roll: :wink:

BTW, I read elsewhere that you decided to leave the stock airbox on the CBX and NOT use pods or individual filters. Smart move.
A - CV carbs do not like filter pods. No matter what the "performance oriented" want to tell you! :roll:
B - The Honda engineers supposedly designed the air intake such that the length of the individual channel in the airbox compensates for the unequal length of channel between carb and combustion chamber.
I go with that and keep the stock airbox on my CBXes also.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I must be saving a lot of lives with my wire wheeled CBX. The baffles ID is larger then the header pipes.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Got the bike together this afternoon. Same old story, runs poorly until it gets to about 3k, starts clearing up, and when it gets to about 4500 it rips. Well, okay, for a stock CBX.

I took out the carbs and cleaned them because of this same issue. Found several plugged low speed passages. All is clear now, or so I thought. I sprayed Berryman's through all the passages and had good results, but still have that stumble at low rpm. It idles fairly well w/ the choke on, so I'm sure I have a restriction somewhere.

BTW, the empty Kerkers get nasty looks from the neighbors.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Checked out Terry's link to Kerker baffles. Looks like an inexpensive alternative to original Kerker baffles. But the original baffle is much longer, and probably quieter, than the cheaper alternative.
I'll probably bend some 1 1/2 conduit and cut a bunch of slots in it, wrap it well, and see what I get. Then, after 1/2 days work, I'll probably spring for the baffles Terry's suggested. It's gotta be better than empty cans. Did I mention this thing is LOUD?
Rick Pope

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”