Where should I send my carbs?

Red Label Moto
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Where should I send my carbs?

Post by Red Label Moto »

First time poster here, Kie from Seattle.

I run a small semi-specialty used bike store and I took in an '81 CBX ex-school bike model with 400 miles. Thankfully it was not one of the bikes the students actually got to wrench on, the director of the school kept it for himself.

Anyway, I had the local Honda store go through the carbs once and it is not quite right. Hesitation off idle, way too long warm-up, etc. I'm not going to make them try again, so where do I send this bank of carbs for the full meal deal?

Bill at Tim's CBX has been very helpful with information and hard to find parts. He offers this service (full carb rebuild to as-new condition) and I am just about to send them to him in Georgia. Would anyone have any other recommendations? Anything closer to seattle?

Thanks to all~
Kie Robertson

Red Label Moto
1527 Harvard Avenue
Seattle, WA. 98122
p 206-325-7233
kie@redlabelmoto.com
www.redlabelmoto.com

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Welcome to the site Red Label Moto, several people do carb overhaul setups but be aware that the final "tweaking" should be done with the carbs fitted to the bike. Therefore proximity to your location may be advisable, however a good Honda mechanic should be able to finalize the setup.....

Bill at TIMS does an excellent service, CBXMAN & Randakk are also well versed in carb rebuilds to name but a few....
ICOA # 656

Red Label Moto

Post by Red Label Moto »

alimey4u2 wrote:Welcome to the site Red Label Moto, several people do carb overhaul setups but be aware that the final "tweaking" should be done with the carbs fitted to the bike. Therefore proximity to your location may be advisable, however a good Honda mechanic should be able to finalize the setup.....

Bill at TIMS does an excellent service, CBXMAN & Randakk are also well versed in carb rebuilds to name but a few....
Wow. Within 9 minutes I had one reply here and one phone call from George in North Carolina. What a bunch of helpful lads we have here!

Got contact info for Tim's and CBXMAN. Does this Randakk have a website?

Oh, I see, http://www.randakks.com/

Thanks!
Kie Robertson

Red Label Moto
1527 Harvard Avenue
Seattle, WA. 98122
p 206-325-7233
kie@redlabelmoto.com
www.redlabelmoto.com

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I think Mike Nixon is doing carb overhaul for Randakk also. He is in Arizona or California, if memory serves me well. May be the closest carb capacity to you.

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

I would use TIMS if I was going to have someone else do it. If you were going to do it yourself, I would buy the correct kits from TIMS as well. Some of these other company mess with all different carbs. Bill from TIMS only does the CBXs and knows what he is doing with them and the correct parts needed. Then I would buy one of Mike Nixon books to do it. Louis

Worlds largest supplier of used CBX parts in the world. www.usedcbxparts.com

Red Label Moto

Post by Red Label Moto »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Bill from TIMS, if you are listening, my carbs are on the way to you. Should arrive next week 9/18 via UPS. My business card is included with them with all my contact info.

'81 CBX with 400 original miles. I just had the local Honda dealer rebuild them and they used kits from K & L. Ran well but not right and the technician was never able to get carbs 5 and 6 working proper. Rather than make them mess with it more I'm sending them to the expert.

Prior to this they had never been apart or off the bike. Please advise when you have them and we can decide which way to go. Thanks~
Kie Robertson

Red Label Moto
1527 Harvard Avenue
Seattle, WA. 98122
p 206-325-7233
kie@redlabelmoto.com
www.redlabelmoto.com

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Please keep us updated...... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

Randakk
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Randakk »

Red Label Moto:

Good luck on your project. I’m sure that Tim’s will do a great job on your carbs. Let me say that both Tim’s and CBX Man are terrific businesses and highly recommended by me.

Louis responded to this thread above with a recommendation and he is well within his rights to do so. However, he paints with a rather broad brush. Since my business and products were in the context before he responded, his post has been interpreted by some as a “slamâ€
Randall Washington (Randakk)
Founder & Chief Executive Rider
Randakk's Cycle Shakk, LLC
Pinehurst, NC USA
www.randakks.com

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

You forgot to say that you wanted a cheap set of carbs. You got what you paid for. The carbs were $200.00. I had better ones but you did not care, you wanted cheap ones. I never said nothing about your products. This is what I said--Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:18 pm
I would use TIMS if I was going to have someone else do it. If you were going to do it yourself, I would buy the correct kits from TIMS as well. Some of these other company mess with all different carbs. Bill from TIMS only does the CBXs and knows what he is doing with them and the correct parts needed. Then I would buy one of Mike Nixon books to do it. Louis
Bill from TIMS is a friend and we work very well together. Remember one hand washes another.
Yes there are some kits on Ebay that are not any good and are not complete as some have told me. So buy from people that do only CBX parts. TIMS HAS IT AND FOR CBXs ONLY. He does not do carb kits for other bikes. Did I say that your kits are no good???

And as I stated before if there is a problem send it back and I will make it right or send money back. It is very hard to please everyone and thats ok all I can do is my best.
So Mr Randakk I think you owe me the apology. I do not care about your remarks, I can see as well as others what I wrote. This will be the last post on this matter from me.

Randakk
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Randakk »

Louis wrote:You forgot to say that you wanted a cheap set of carbs. You got what you paid for. The carbs were $200.00. I had better ones but you did not care, you wanted cheap ones. I never said nothing about your products. This is what I said--Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:18 pm
Bill from TIMS is a friend and we work very well together. Remember one hand washes another.
Yes there are some kits on Ebay that are not any good and are not complete as some have told me. So buy from people that do only CBX parts. TIMS HAS IT AND FOR CBXs ONLY. He does not do carb kits for other bikes. Did I say that your kits are no good???

And as I stated before if there is a problem send it back and I will make it right or send money back. It is very hard to please everyone and thats ok all I can do is my best.
So Mr Randakk I think you owe me the apology. I do not care about your remarks, I can see as well as others what I wrote. This will be the last post on this matter from me.
Louis:

No apology will be forthcoming from me to you.

In the post above you have misrepresented numerous facts and have conveniently forgotten others.

I requested functional, rebuildable carbs. The ones you sent were junk in my opinion. I never used the word "cheap"...that's your "spin."

I stand by my position on this matter 100%
Randall Washington (Randakk)
Founder & Chief Executive Rider
Randakk's Cycle Shakk, LLC
Pinehurst, NC USA
www.randakks.com

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

As a member of this club and website, I feel that NO ONE should be advertising or doing private (for profit) business on this website without sponsoring or paying for the privilege. Referrals, recommendations and opinions are fine but they should stop short of deal making and transaction details when, in the end, its a business transaction between two individuals.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Terry wrote:As a member of this club and website, I feel that NO ONE should be advertising or doing private (for profit) business on this website without sponsoring or paying for the privilege. Referrals, recommendations and opinions are fine but they should stop short of deal making and transaction details when, in the end, its a business transaction between two individuals.
This is a difficult issue. Every time, disputes about transactions occur and tempers flare, people who are not directly involved would prefer some kind of ruling to forbid advertising or promoting businesses on a club web-site like ours. I myself have taken that position in the past. But in general, these advertisements or promotions may be of help to some members. Some of the people doing business are members also. It is rather tricky to try to draw a line and set rules without upsetting someone.
You can only appeal to the parties to work it out between themselves and not go public. Then, of course, the public would not benefit from knowing who the "bad apples" are.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Please don't misinterpret what I said, which, in part was,

"As a member of this club and website, I feel that NO ONE should be advertising or doing private (for profit) business on this website without sponsoring or paying for the privilege."

I stand by that statement and believe it should be a forum/club rule. I have, in the past, reported on what I felt was a misleading advertisement as to the quality and fit of an item I bought from a CBX vendor. I did this so others (I care about) would not make the same mistake. I did NOT however, solicit any business from them, or use this forum as a substitute medium for ebay or craig's list, for example.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

And now to get back to the topic that everyone wants to know (is that d**n cbxtacy hijacking this thread?) do you have the carbs back yet and (if so) how do they work?
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

We are but a small group & the vendors/members who support us are few & far between. "I personally" appreciate the support from ALL the vendors knowing as such the limited profit margins they work with. Diversity is the key, at least we have diversity & I salute you all...... :thumupp:

Now to the point ( that George & Mike in their infinite wisdom brought up) to whom the laurels...?
ICOA # 656

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”