WIDER RIMS & TIRES:

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

WIDER RIMS & TIRES:

Post by BayArchitect »

I know it's an old song, but I've been working on the '81 CBX for about a year now, tweaking here and there, '79 carbs, custom covers, leather Corbin, polished stainless everywhere, Euro bars, setbacks, 1000RR signals, painted bucket and pods to match the tank, etc. Now it's time for the final act: New rims. This is a new subject for me, but I want to install wider tires and rims. Maybe 160/17 on the rear and 120 18 on the front, to fit Kosman-modified 1100F rims. I prefer Michelin, and would like to use their Pilot Sports, but I don't see it for the front. Does anyone have a solution for this? Once I decide upon the tire, then I can work out the swingarm requirements, and the fork requirements. Hopefully, I can bolt an 1100F fork/rotor setup to the front?? Looking for FACTS, and experienced opinions! Please help!
Thanks, Leon Summers

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

fairly easy conversion to fit CBR600F2 rear (4.5x17) and CBR600F3 front (3.5x17). The 4.5 is recommended with 160 tire. A 170 tire will not fit between the linkage. The F3 is better then F2 because it's a floating rotor. Same dia as 81/82 CBX and you can use the CBX calipers.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by BayArchitect »

Perfect wheel size. Will I need a new swingarm? What year rims should I look for? Where can I see a photo?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am a little confused. I thought you had already decided on the rims (Kosman modified CB1100F) and wanted a tire suggestion :? :?

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Hi Mike:

Post by BayArchitect »

I said "Maybe Kosman modified", but the problem appears to be that Michelin does not make Pilot Sports for 18 inch rims--they only make 17 inch, unless someone can show otherwise. If true, it means I have to use a different wheel, because Kosman cannot reduce the size of a rim from 18 to 17 inch. I'm looking at F2 and F3 rims, which are the correct size for the Michelin tires, and they are lighter weight than the modified Kosmans. It appears they will also fit the CBX. Any thoughts? *grin*
Regards,
Leon

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Leon:
You are going to have clearance problems with the linkage in the rear if you go with any tire over about a 150. You can modify the forked links by cutting off the inner half and reinforcing the remaining outer half. This will allow you to machine off the boss inside the swingarm and install a recessed bolt to mount the modified link. Then you can use a wider tire. I will caution you that if you ride agressively, you'll ground lots of stuff in tight corners with the 18/17 inch wheel combo, if you don't effectively raise the chassis. A Progressive rear shock will give you back some height in the rear. Just stiffen up the front the best you can. A 17/17 combo would be even more problematic.

George - you can chime in on the cornering issues as you've had a couple over the years.

Dave

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Cornering clearance with 17 inch rims...

Post by BayArchitect »

Yes, I think I can work that out. I'll start with the stock CBX frame and the Michelin Pilot Sports, then work toward the middle. Looking for F2 rear and F3 front rims... Also, who has the best deal on Michelin tires?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Santa Clara Cycle has a deal where if you buy from them they'll mount and balance them for FREE off the bike and only $25 ON the bike. Hard to beat that deal. They also allow you to use their tools behind their shop to do the R&R if you prefer. 408 730-0600

BTW, why Pilot Sports instead of Pilot Powers for example, or Pilot Roads?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by BayArchitect »

Thanks for the tip--I'll follow up with S.C. Cycle. Michelin Sports because the Michelin web site shows them as superior for Highway, Sport Riding, and Commuting. Also, I like the look....*grin*

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

1000RR Three-Spoke Rims...

Post by BayArchitect »

The 1000RR three-spoke rims have a nice look for the CBX. Does anyone know the size of these rims? Will they fit?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Leon, don't forget "Dymag" still make 3 spoke magnesium wheels, 18" diameter front & rear, .25" wider than stock on the rear. Expensive but quality kit....
ICOA # 656

Douglas
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Douglas »

hey-Hey!!!,
For my '82 I ran a 1987 VFR750 wheel. White 3-spoke, 18 x 3.5 and lighter than the stock Comstar. Also included was the smaller rear disc and hanger( though it could use the stock caliper ). It required a 3mm spacer on the drive side to align the chain and fit between the swing-arm properly. A 140/70-18 fit very nicely. As to the smaller disc, who needs much rear brake anyway and it had better feel than the big stocker.
cheers,
Douglas

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Welcome to the ICOA forum, Douglas :!: Good to see that new members browse through the old posts :thumupp:

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Thanks EMS. No longer have any CBX's( or FZR1000 or CBR900RR or...). Got my first '82 back in fall of 89 and had considerable fun with it. Met Mike about 2 weeks later at his Rally. Rode the heck out of it for the next 3/4 decade along with the rest of the stable inhabitants. Some of y'all will remember my younger brother Mark. Porsche-red 600R Ninja doing wheelies at the '90 VA Rally organized by Mike Goode, as well as making fairing-scraping-pavement sounds shortly after...:)
cheers,
Douglas

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Douglas:
Thanks for checking back in with us! Some of us remember you and Mark very well. It's been a long time. I also remember your Pro-Link set-up. Very slick and clean.

Hope you are doing well. You ended up not that far away from a lot of us. Check back any time.

Dave

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”