Ontarios?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ontarios?

Post by Terry »

I read this on another site, anyone ever heard of an exhaust system called Ontario?

"Ah, nothing else sounds like a CBX. Especially with the baffles out.
Yup. My friend's Dad had a '79 with Ontarios. I used to ride behind him to listen to that motor."
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

OMT ...Ontario Moto Tech ( Ontario California,) owned by the famous tuner Kas Yoshima, made one of the nicest exhaust systems for a CBX six ( I had a set.) The bends were perfection but the exhaust note a little "brassy" with the baffles in.... I have OMT 1168cc pistons & Kas Yoshima work in my engine...very very nice.... 8)
ICOA # 656

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I'll be damned! After all these years I find info about a set of CBX specific pipes on a non CBX forum. Seems kind of strange that after all the talk about Dencos, Kerkers, DG and so on, no one ever mentioned Ontarios. Were they 6 into 2 similar to the OEs or ?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Terry wrote:I'll be damned! After all these years I find info about a set of CBX specific pipes on a non CBX forum. Seems kind of strange that after all the talk about Dencos, Kerkers, DG and so on, no one ever mentioned Ontarios. Were they 6 into 2 similar to the OEs or ?
6-2 Terry, similar to RC's but slight reverse cones, if my memory serves me well...I still have a OMT pamphlet somewhere....
ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Here you go, it's a fairly big file but worth opening......

http://www.400fourstore.com/tech/Page%2 ... 205%20.pdf
ICOA # 656

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Cool, thanks! Now if my insomnia will allow, I'll try going back to sleep. :cry:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Terry wrote:Cool, thanks! Now if my insomnia will allow, I'll try going back to sleep. :cry:
Night Terry..... :lol:
ICOA # 656

Land_Shark
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Land_Shark »

alimey4u2 wrote:Here you go, it's a fairly big file but worth opening......

http://www.400fourstore.com/tech/Page%2 ... 205%20.pdf
I'm afraid I drooled on myself while reading that :roll:

Too bad none of those goodies are available anymore

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Land_Shark wrote:
I'm afraid I drooled on myself while reading that :roll:

Too bad none of those goodies are available anymore
I just wished I had bought more, although I did grab a few goodies along the way.... :lol:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Years ago (15 :?: :?: ) I passed on a Candy Glory Red 79 with an Ontario Moto Tech engine. :roll: Very faint memory about this. Don't know anymore how much the asking price was and where the bike actually was located. :? I do remember that the engine was painted black, like the one in my 79.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I met Rick of Rick's Tricks in the 80's and he told me about a couple of clowns on an island somewhere in the Caribbean with OMT engines in their CBX's and going there to do a tuneup I think (it was a long time ago). I wonder who that could be. :D :D :D :D :D :D
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

cbxtacy wrote:I met Rick of Rick's Tricks in the 80's and he told me about a couple of clowns on an island somewhere in the Caribbean with OMT engines in their CBX's and going there to do a tuneup I think (it was a long time ago). I wonder who that could be. :D :D :D :D :D :D
That was Ricardo I think..... :lol:
ICOA # 656

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

OMT tech

Post by Mike Nixon »

My $0.02. I once knew Kaz and used to stop by his place in North Hollywood occasionally. You sharper types will recall I maintained a scrapbook of nearly everything he did for the first several years, including catalogs, magazine articles, etc. Sold it on eBay a couple years ago. I say this only because I like him and what he did, because what I will say next will surprise you. The stuff he sold over the counter was really not all that great. Fit and finish was fine, but beyond that... In the later years especially, much of it was either Yoshimura spec or relabeled Yosh stuff, which as everyone knows was very high rpm tuned equipment, not very street friendly. A true story. I worked for a speed shop about ten plus years ago. Had a Dynojet dyno, used to spend hours at a time in the dyno room trying different things. Got a hold of a CBX that had Ontario internals and exhaust. The dyno didn't like the exhaust at all, in fact the engine made more power with the mufflers removed, which is the sign of a poor design.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I agree with Mike on the exhaust system, the chrome was very thin & the baffles were of a basic (crude) design....They did look pretty though.. 8) However, I found the machine work to be superb but I'm sure he farmed that out to local machine shops .....
He (or his contractor) bored my sleeves & supplied pistons, micro honed bearing surfaces & enlarged the oil holes on my crank, shotpeened/balanced my rods. All of which I assembled 22 years ago & is running well without problems since.....
ICOA # 656

kajutig
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ontario Moto Tech

Post by kajutig »

When I bought my '79 about 19yrs ago (Alberta bike), it came with a set of Ontario Mototech 6-2 pipes (black in color). Tad noisy for my liking so they're in storage in garage. 2nd '79 I purchased for parts came with a 6-1 (unknown brand) with rotted away megaphone, but WOW did it sound tremendous when I took that bike howling down the highway. Light throttle in town kept police off my case, but open 'er up on highway & watch out. When it got a little too obvious that there was no muffler of any kind, took megaphone my brother had off something (?) & just stuffed in hole in 6-1 & toned it down a bit, but still had that lovely CBX howl. Later, via eBay, tracked down what might be OEM exhaust, or Tankei (?) that sure looks & sounds like original. Now sounds like jet when you fire it up & take off. Only issue is those 6-2 pipes were from Florida so there's some rust pitting on head pipes. Love taking my CBX out for ride now & then 'cause there's only 2-3 of them here in Thunder Bay & it's fun watching folks at coffee shops walk by, doubletake & come back to count head pipes.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”