Eng Studs Removal

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Eng Studs Removal

Post by jt »

I have a very low serial # eng that I found in a bike salvage yard. It has seen some weather, not sure if I can save the head, but will try. As I was removing the head one of the smaller studs by the #4 cylinder snapped in two below the gasket surface :cry: . looking for tips, ideals :idea: on removing the rest of the studs and replacing them with the spiral studs.

As far as the broken stud I don't think I want to try and remove it myself, would like to find a machine shop that has a EDM machine. Anyone know of one preferably in the Houston area or in Texas failing that I am open to suggestions to another shop that can do it.

Any tips on installing the new ones,such as tightening, sealing the threads etc are welcome.

Thanks

Jerome Tarpey
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Stud Installation

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

JT,

I went to the ARP website and read a little about stud installation. I also have a few e-mails about it. I would be glad to forward to you if you send me a e-mail requesting.

Regards, Tom

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

studs

Post by sr71cbx »

jt,

Sounds like a very early engine with smooth studs in it,also sounds like easy-out time too.The stud probably was on its way out and reverse torque did it in. :shock:

What's the engine number,by the way?Must be below 1000 or so. 8)

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, the serial # is CB1E-2000113. I have not had very good luck with easy outs in the past. And with it being the rear stud next to the cam chain tunnel and the rear oil galley just not sure if I feel lucky enough.

Best

Jerome
JT In Texas

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, the serial # is CB1E-2000113. I have not had very good luck with easy outs in the past. And with it being the rear stud next to the cam chain tunnel and the rear oil galley just not sure if I feel lucky enough.

Best

Jerome
JT In Texas

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

serial numbers...

Post by sr71cbx »

jt,

That IS an early serial #,try to ressurect it. 8)

BDR

Studs removal

Post by BDR »

I snapped off a threading tap in a casing while cleaning out sockets of silicone gasket goo (this was on a Yamaha XV 920). The metal that taps and dies is made from is very hard and was impossible to drill into.

I ended up using a Dremel Tool with Diamond Dust encrusted bits. I found that the ball shaped bits work best and as I worked the hole, like a dentist drilling a root canal, I frequently used WD-40 to lubricate and clean the cavity. This process took 4 hours but I eventually bored a hole into and weakened the tap enough to take a scribe and break it into pieces for removal. I made a wood crutch to hold up the Dremel Tool while I worked and I only worked half an hour at a time before I got tired. I would guess that 80% of the thread in the casing was left intact in the hole when I was done, as I did slip from time to time, and usually this was a good indicator that it was time to quit for the night, but eventually I got it! Good luck.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Patience

Post by EMS »

BDR: I need your name and address so I can call you if I have one of those :twisted: jobs to do! You seem to be the guy who can handle it without throwing fits, like I would.

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

patience...........???

Post by sr71cbx »

----EMS,that BDR has more patience than me,too............sounds like when in doubt,drill it out------I've heard of dentists who used that motto before,scarey thought :shock: .I believe that a broken stud,ez-out,or tap also can be lasered out,too. 8)

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Thanks you guys for some help. I've been through what BDR described on my CB77. First a drill bit broke off, then a easy out later on. I do not want to go through that again. I am going to try and fine a machine shop that can remove it by using a EDM machine, there has to be one here in the Houston area.

thanks
JT In Texas

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Thanks you guys for some help. I've been through what BDR described on my CB77. First a drill bit broke off, then a easy out later on. I do not want to go through that again. I am going to try and fine a machine shop that can remove it by using a EDM machine, there has to be one here in the Houston area.

thanks
JT In Texas

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

EDM Machine?

Post by Jim-Jim »

Since I'm always up for learning something new; what's an EDM Machine? :?:

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Broken Stud: Success

Post by jt »

Hi Jim,

EDM is Electrical discharge machining, I have never had it done before, it was suggested on the VJMC board awhile back on someones elses problem. They can drill, cut with a electrical discharge very precisely. With the serial # being so low on this engine I did not want to screw it up. I could not locate anyone to do it, so I got out my drill and a carbide drill bit and got after it last night . After drilling I used a bolt extractor and luckily it backed out with no problems. :D :D
JT In Texas

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

studs

Post by sr71cbx »

jt,

I guess you got the trouble taken care of on your low-serial# engine,that's good!Do you have a low # frame to match?This could get interesting................ :wink:

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Mark, No frame, I found the eng at the wrecking yard and looked at the number, had to take a chance on it.
JT In Texas

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”