Rechroming stock exhausts

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rechroming stock exhausts

Post by Terry »

If the shop could simply plug all the openings in a stock set of pipes before the 'dip', why can't they be rechromed? See what I mean? Their (bath) wouldn't get contaminated and if the outside of the pipes were prepped properly, they should be able to be rechromed right, or am I missing something in the process?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

From what I hear, platers don't want to take the risk of contaminating their chrome baths.

Tims will get stock exhausts rechromed. I've heard (don't know if true) that they get the exhaust plated at the end of the bath's life and the risk to the plating company is minimized.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Chris wrote:From what I hear, platers don't want to take the risk of contaminating their chrome baths.

Tims will get stock exhausts rechromed. I've heard (don't know if true) that they get the exhaust plated at the end of the bath's life and the risk to the plating company is minimized.

I've heard that too Chris but look at my suggestion. Wouldn't that prevent any tank fouling?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

I would think that if you can get the exhaust completely sealed and then convince a chromer to plate it, you would be in business.

If a plater could take that job on, they could become very popular. There are a lot of exhaust systems out there that are in pretty sound condition but cosmetically challenged (I've got a set in my shop).

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

You can chrome a stock CBX exhaust without contamination, you have to grind through the tack weld on the baffle at tip of the exhaust, then remove the baffle and packing. The system can now be cleaned before being dipped.

jb

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

jb,
In that case, can I get an aftermarket set re-chromed?
George
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

cbxtacy wrote:jb,
George
I've got some Kerkers I would very much like to have re-chromed.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

George, I live in Ohio and have a small chrome shop I use. He did a set of Hindles for me and they turned out nice, he also looked over a stock set I have and said he could do those too if I took out the baffles first.

I haven't taken the stock set to him yet because they need some welding first and I just haven't gotten around to it.

jb
cbxtacy wrote:jb,
George

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

cool, I have an old denco 6 into 6 I need to have Rob North make new cones for then it'll be ready for the chromers. Kaye wants shiny exhaust on her wire wheeled CBX.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

I have a near perfect set of 422 exhausts that the previous owner had removed the baffles. Baffles needed repaired and reinstalled.

Not a bad job. Should not be a huge problem if this is all that needs done to get an exhaust system rechromed.

rbarber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rbarber »

I have a place also, that rechromes exhausts and has done several Kawasaki Triple sets for me. Some of these are one piece also, like the CBX exhausts. The baffles on these remove fairly easy (bolted in), but I went through some efforts to clean them inside.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”