1980 CBX VINs

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
Jfsprecision
New Member & Happy To Be Here

1980 CBX VINs

Post by Jfsprecision »

I am original owner of a 1980 CBX purchased in So Cal in Jan 1980. The vin is a ---000127. Any ideas about it's number in the manufacturing process since 1979 release?
Thanks!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1980 CBX VINs

Post by EMS »

Bike was produced in Japan in June of 1979. First month of 1980 model production. In June and July, Honda produced CBX in Japan. No production in August of 1979 and in September 1979, start in Marysville, Ohio, until May of 1980

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I think you have a treasure there, mate.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I would be interested in knowing how the engine serial number compares to the VIN.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If the bike is as it appears, made in Japan, the engine should follow Honda's formula of being within 50 of the frame. I know '79s were farther apart, especially in the early production, but settled down to within 150 by mid-run. The Pro-Links for the most part, were within far less than 50, until the later serial numbers, then they were all over the place.

Roughly subtract 1800 from the Marysville bikes' engine numbers to get the same spread, frame numbers started over in Marysville, engine numbers did not, carried over from where the Japan production stopped.

I think your numbers generally bear out the above to be true Mike?

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

For some reason, i do not get engine serial numbers for the 80s as often as for the 79s, although for the vast majority of the 79s the engine numbers are more difficult to read. I agree, the 80 VIN and engine numbers are close together. a lot of times even closer than 50 numbers. The closest I have is VIN..176 with engine ..177. And then, some have engine numbers lower than VIN numbers. For example VIN ..177 has engine ..144.
Highest engine serial for Japanese production I have on record is ..2132. I have no VIN for that bike. largest spread I have is VIN..494 with engine ...547.
And then, John Davis (RIP) had one of the earliest US production 1980s with VIN 10015 and the engine in this bike was ...1826. I don't think John ever changed that engine. I have quite a few US bikes with engine serial numbers under 2000. Really strange.
All that is the reason for my question.

JohanRocha

Post by JohanRocha »

hello to all.......I would like to add here so the knowledge is widened what concerns low Vin's on 1980 SC03 bikes. I still happen to own 3 CbX's (i just sold the 2 best ones this past month to fellow collectors in my local area) but never joined here until just very recently, so hello to all. Some may know me with my JohanRocha online handle from parts sales on FB, all those that bought parts from me i thank you very much, i know you were happy with the parts received and in the near future i will sell pretty much everything that concerns motorcycles and parts, for CBX and many other models of the period due to age and health related issues.

But to the subject at hand here i have to add the following (this is not fishing for buyers or for value estimates, there is no need for this, i am keeping this bike for the foreseeable future, concentrating on selling many other bikes, most of them unrelated to CBX first these next couple of,years).

Amongst my small but eclectic collection of bikes i also own what i call a trifecta bike, 1= 1980 made in Japan, 2= Single digit Vin, 3= Vin and engine match! That it is also one of the coolest numbers is secondary or maybe only of importance in certain asian countries but it happens to be No. 8 i.e. the infinity number. (trifecta sounds better than quadfecta 😜)

I had recently shortly considered selling it, but then quickly decided to not do that just now, it is just too unique and too rare as a number to do so foolishly and without first talking to all the enthusiasts here in this forum and elsewhere.

So, there it is, No.8......what do you think and what should i know that maybe i dont already know. Facts i discerned from the bike: It has a 4 row oil cooler, it has an HM422ND exhaust just like the later 79 bikes had that were sold in Europe, the exhaust is original, the bike was stored for several decades before i bought it, it has the same alternator cover than one of my 79 bikes, it has a vin plate made in Japan, both vin and engine number are unmolested and look definitely totally original and correct including the rivet heads on the Vin plate and the unique stamped numbers in the engine case underneath the raised SC03 letters.......i have added the important images here for all to see and ponder over and discuss etc. etc. suffice to say, the headstock stamp matches as well, but there is something unique about it i will not divulge just yet 😜 .....now over to all of you here.....thanks Jo πŸ˜πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Hi Jo - thanks for posting this rare bike. We have discussed this one at length on Facebook. Clearly one of the first '80 bikes, Euro-spec, and likely a press-release bike. Unlike the '79s, the first bikes were the same as all the 'production' ones, save for some of the apparent differences you noted. Unless we uncover more of the first 20 or so made in Japan to verify the few differences, I guess we'll never know if the exhaust has been changed, oil cooler, etc. I still suspect that the exhaust has been changed. Great bike!

Dave

Return to β€œNew Users - Start Here”