Club Resources Unite!

Club Resources Unite!

Postby Ringnalda » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:34 am

This forum is a feeler to identify a possible supply/demand for a new club program, where specific and not often required tooling is kept by the club and loaned to club members on an as-needed basis. I would like to see if there would be interest in such a program, and also how we can make this work so that the club enjoys some benefits, the tools get used and returned within a certain time scale, the tools are not abused and there are enough funds to allow periodic replacement if necessary.

Some tools which jump to mind are:

Front fork seal insertion tool
Clutch Sprag nut tool
Shim kit
chain breaker tool
piston ring compressor
rear wheel bearing housing removal tool
Valve spring compressor and valve seal insertion tool (thx Mike)

Please suggest others if you can think of them

My idea would be to have these tools in the club, and sent out as members need them. The member would have to pay a usage fee (small), pay for the shipping, and a deposit which would be returnable when the tool has been received by the next user in good shape. It would need to be monitored to a small extent but could be self regulated to a large extent. We could insist on having the tools in a central location, or we could have the tools stay at the last user until required by another member. Open to all suggestions! What do you think?

Jan
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Re: Club Resources Unite!

Postby EMS » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:06 am

I reworked two heads and found the valve spring compressor and a valve seal removal tool very handy.
I am working on a little pictorial for the CBXPress on how to remove and re-install valve guide seals.
To be understood is the exception
To be misunderstood is the rule.
EMS
ICOA Secretary
ICOA Secretary

Postby Terry » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:02 pm

I can't send this but anyone passing thru can use it if need be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...
Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Jeff Bennetts » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:31 pm

We have this program on the ZRX forum I belong to, there is a sub forum that keeps track of the last person who has used the tool, this member keeps the tool until it gets loaned out again, each new user pays for the shipping to his location.

Hope this helps.
Jeff Bennetts
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Postby alimey4u2 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:25 am

I have several CBX related tools (engine & frame) if any club member this side of the pond would like to use. I would just require a deposit ( one CBXer had my effin tent for 9 months, lost my faith in mankind over that one ) & postage.. The UKCBXCLUB also has a similar program & I would like to offer my support there...
ICOA # 656
alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Postby Peter Hoyles » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:39 pm

I had to make my own piston ring compressors out of shim stock and vice grips when I overhauled my 82 CBX engine a few years ago.
We should all be very aware that just 'stuffing' the rings into the bores with fingers or tools creates damage to the edges of the rings. You can't reach the important point, the narrow end of the taper of the cylinder, just at the point where the ring enters the bore and that is the very place where damage occurs.
I have also spent some time with the honing stones just at this edge to smooth the edge from the taper to the bore, just to try to avoid getting stuck on rough ridges on the taper and to smoothly transition into the bore, all to avoid ring damage.

Those nifty Honda compressors like scissors with curved pads shown in the shop manual would be the thing to use. I wonder if anyone has any, say a pair, of these to loan out???? Peter Hoyles 01-904-699-6588.

I am rebuilding a CB750 engine right now and a pair of 62mm compressors would make reassembly so much easier and less prone to damage.

If I can't find the right compressors then I'm strongly inclined to make my own, just so that this awkward aspect of rebuilding is properly carried out.
Proud owner of an 82 CBX
Peter Hoyles
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Postby alimey4u2 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:03 am

Most of us use brass shimstock wrapped around the piston, held in place by plastic cable ties Peter.. Works well & don't forget to protect your rods from dinging the crankcase opening. A tiny flaw can evolve into a failed rod...
ICOA # 656
alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Postby Peter Hoyles » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:29 am

Re; alimey4u2; Thanks for your reply and advice. I will use both of your ideas. I would naturally be careful and support the pistons and rods, but I was not aware of the critical importance you place on crankcase to rod damage. I will take extra care. Thank you. I'm regrinding the valves today and checking valve and seat condition while waiting for replacement ring set to come in.

This engine got water in it. Then the water was allowed to sit and puddle in it and tarnish the bores and rust the rings, so when the engine was eventually restarted the rust-stuck rings couldn't seal and compression was lost. Honing the bores have produced reasonably smooth cylinders without too much work and cleaning up rings on three pistons worked well. One piston had rings so stuck they had to be broken out, hence the replacements.

I'm hoping I can resurrect this motor without a re-bore and consequent new rings and pistons. That lot would be EXPENSIVE and would add up to more than I want to spend on this bike.

Now I'm looking for corrosion in the valve gear. Assuming there's not too much, and I can get valves to seal, I can get this engine back to reasonably good running condition, where there was miserable compression before.
Proud owner of an 82 CBX
Peter Hoyles

Postby alimey4u2 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:59 am

Good luck Peter, any questions we're all here to help.... :cheers:
ICOA # 656
alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Postby EMS » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Peter: Is this a 750DOHC or SOHC? I have several sets of SOHC top end kits, i.e.: pistons, rings, wristpins, valves, if needed.
EMS
ICOA Secretary
ICOA Secretary

Postby zxbob » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Nils was kind enough to load me his tools for the steering head bearing replacement - "man how easy it is
with the proper tools"

I will offer up my motion pro chain breaking / riviting tool to any member in need of it !

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !
zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Postby Peter Hoyles » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:23 am

@EMS: I'm servicing the 750 DOHC, 62mm bore 62mm stroke. I don't know about whether your parts are compatible. Honda part number for the rings is 13011-425-003 or 004, standard bore, no oversize. Best price I have found for these beauties is $45 each set. So I bought just one. I could use another 3, really.
Proud owner of an 82 CBX
Peter Hoyles

Postby EMS » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:51 am

No, Peter, parts don't fit. 1979 CB750DOHC was all new from the SOHC.
EMS
ICOA Secretary
ICOA Secretary

Return to CLUB Member Tool Exchange Program