All Four Years of CBX

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
vinceciotti
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

All Four Years of CBX

Post by vinceciotti »

P6210040.jpg
We did it! At the Santa Fe Motorado last Sunday we got all 4 years of CBXes lined up per the photos below:

• Steve Steenrod's award-winning 1979
• Jack Jason's 1980 - he's the original owner!
• Wes Anderson's 1981 with only 3K miles
• My pretty stock 1982...

We had a total of 9 CBXes at the show, including Dr. Tom's race CBX, which won first place in our division. Check out the pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: All Four Years of CBX

Post by daves79x »

That is fantastic! More good publicity for the CBX.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Vince, that is outstanding.
Great work representing the big six.
Nice to see the green one with the 1100F wheels from Wes.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Nice pictures, Vince. Great showing! keep it up!

Another incorrect detail, I did not recognize in Ian's book. The horsepower rating of the Prolink engines was 100hp.
The rear disk of the Prolink was not vented.
There is no weight difference between 81 and 82, unless the 81 number did not include saddlebags. Both are 633 lbs, according to Honda specs.
And really interesting are the production numbers. Wonder what they are based on.
Last edited by EMS on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I know, the horsepower issue is a little mysterious, as in the U.S. it seemed (still seems) to be not PC to state horsepower numbers, but here is a copy of a German title registration for a 1981.
In Germany it is required to include hp numbers in the vehicle documentation for insurance reasons.
Here it says clearly K74/9000 which means 74kW at 9,000 rpm. 74 kW at 1.36 equal 100.64 hp
And Bike magazine, a U.K. publication ran a comparison test between the BMW R80RT and the Honda CBX Prolink on the French Paul Ricard race track and quoted the specs of the CBX with 74.7 kW or 100 hp @9,000 rpm

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

Great gathering -- nice photos!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, for us nitpickers, that chart is curious. There is a factual weight difference between the '79 and '80, due to use of heaver materials to replace the 'exotic' stuff on the '79 - alternator cover, gauge bezel, gas cap come to mind, as well as the differences in weight of the fork assembly and swingarm pivot. Some other stuff as well. To the Pro-Links, the only weight difference I can think of in reality is the addition of the grab rail on the '82. But all it is, is just fun to talk about. No real biggie in my mind.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:Yes, for us nitpickers, that chart is curious. There is a factual weight difference between the '79 and '80, due to use of heaver materials to replace the 'exotic' stuff on the '79 - alternator cover, gauge bezel, gas cap come to mind, as well as the differences in weight of the fork assembly and swingarm pivot. Some other stuff as well. To the Pro-Links, the only weight difference I can think of in reality is the addition of the grab rail on the '82. But all it is, is just fun to talk about. No real biggie in my mind.

Dave

Dave: I am pretty sure the 611 lbs were taken from a "CBX-B without bags" spec that was published in Europe. I have a test report about it, that says exactly that.
And you are absolutely right, the Honda service manual states 249kg (548.9lbs) dry weight for the 1979 and in the '80 addendum it shows 252 kg (555.6lbs)
No, its no real biggie. it's just not right.

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”