'ello from the IRISH CBX Rally

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

'ello from the IRISH CBX Rally

Post by NobleHops »

Howdy gang,

Sending you my greetings from my hotel in Belfast, Ireland. I've been in Europe for 3 weeks, did a week's tour in the Alps, spent a few days in London, and then on to Ireland and the UK CBX Rally. Ian Foster loaned me a nice Prolink bike that I rode around for most of a week, hosted me at his family's farm, picked me up, dropped me off, and more. Incredible host and a great guy in person, as you'd expect. I also got to meet a few folks in person for the first time including my pal Goss (Steve Gosine) and even Jan, and that was great.

The rally was really cool, even for a crowd-averse guy as I am, and the selection and quality of CBXen there was amazing - there were two of everything in every condition and quite a lot of specials, turbo bikes, Martins, Eglis, Spondons, a trike, and Geoff Smale's racing sidecar rig. Some incredible machines.

I did a piss-poor job of documenting the event, photo-wise, sorry to say, but I do have a random smattering I'll post when I'm home. But the event was really well put together, and had 117 bikes in attendance by one credible count. Some stuff is starting to get posted on the Facebook page, including a video of the ride-out to the Ulster GP. After weeks in a row of horrible weather we got three mostly dry days, a sort of miracle I guess.

There's more to tell but I'm still kinda fried. Looking forward to being home after so much travel this summer.

Article and video

http://fermanaghherald.com/2015/08/vide ... wn-centre/

Bert V's video:

Best,

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: 'ello from the IRISH CBX Rally

Post by patzx12 »

Its the best biker rally I ever attended. A fantastic collection of CBX

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Looking forward to the pics you do have, Nils.
Riding a CBX in the rain that somebody else owns must have been nerve wracking.
Good on Ian.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Thanks for posting, would really like to visit my old country, looks like a lot of fun !!

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Good to meet you Nils and Jan!

Glad you had a great time Nils. The weather was pretty good, see for yourself. Video is in 1080 HD.

Regards

Steve

Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Steve, even with just the brief glimpses it seems like you had a big variety of CBXes.
Thanks for putting up the video.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It is amazing, how the European bike enthusiasts (here the CBXers) can put us in the U.S. to shame. Although there probably were more CBXes sold in the U.S. than in any other country in the world and there are probably more CBXes still on the road than in any other region in the world, we would never be able to gather that many CBXes in any place in the U.S. for a rally.
And don't give me the "large country" argument. Here are people from Germany, France and Scandinavia traveling to an ISLAND in the far western part of the continent to attend a CBX rally!
Good form! :thumupp:

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

Mike, I doubt that most of those from the continent travelled more that 4 days to get to the rally and another 4 days to get home. To comfortably cross the USA to go to Morro Bay would take 4 hard days. Yes distance plays a part. And then how many are trailered to the site? Also keep in mind that Ian was planning and advertising this event probably 2 years in advance. That gives folks lead time to plan, to arrange vacation time, to arrange babysitting or pet sitting or put together the money or whatever.

A year lead time for an event is great and even more if you want it to be really big.

And don't forget that some of us have aged to the point we are not going to ride a CBX for 750 miles a day for 4 days to go somewhere. Maybe a Gold Wing or a 1600GTL, or something comfortable but not a bike with a suspension designed 30+ years ago.

What did we have for the rally this year at Fontana, 6 months max lead time? If we want to do something in June of 2016 it needs to be advertised and pushed now or actually about a month ago. Many organizations will tell you at this years rally where the rally will be for the next year and usually it is in the same relative time frame. GWRRA is deviating from their normal Wing Ding being right around July 4th and holding it in September. Should be interesting to see what sort of turn out they get.

And I think European riders do take their motorcycles more seriously than we do. Perhaps part of it has to do with the cost of their longer training programs!
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS wrote:It is amazing, how the European bike enthusiasts (here the CBXers) can put us in the U.S. to shame. Although there probably were more CBXes sold in the U.S. than in any other country in the world and there are probably more CBXes still on the road than in any other region in the world, we would never be able to gather that many CBXes in any place in the U.S. for a rally.
And don't give me the "large country" argument. Here are people from Germany, France and Scandinavia traveling to an ISLAND in the far western part of the continent to attend a CBX rally!
Good form! :thumupp:
Actually that's not true EMS, I can recall 3 or 4 ICOA Nationals where there were over 125 bikes in attendance, at least 100 of them being CBX's, the 1st ICOA National in St. Clairsville, OH, a couple in Marlinton,WV and a couple in Morganton, NC. I should know because I hosted and promoted them all, I don't recall seeing you at any of them though. :think:

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Great video Steve,

I seem to remember when I organised two Euro's in the 2000's we had over 150 cbx's on each rideout with over 200 enthusiasts in attendance. I know the first one way back in the early 90's organised by Pete&Rusty Broad in France we had 128 on the rideout as I stood on a cross roads and counted them through. Sad eh?!!"!

cheers Mel#1876
:flags-australia: :flags-canada: :flags-usa: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jeff Bennetts wrote: Actually that's not true EMS, I can recall 3 or 4 ICOA Nationals where there were over 125 bikes in attendance, at least 100 of them being CBX's, the 1st ICOA National in St. Clairsville, OH, a couple in Marlinton,WV and a couple in Morganton, NC. I should know because I hosted and promoted them all, I don't recall seeing you at any of them though. :think:

Another quip from the glorious past in which some of you guys still live. When the ICOA had 2000 or so members. :roll:
I am talking 2015!
And as far as me participating, I joined the ICOA in 1993. Shortly before it started to fall apart, thanks to the politics.
How many CBXes do you own ,Jeff? If any, how much do you ride them? Are you a ICOA member?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

harvey wrote: And I think European riders do take their motorcycles more seriously than we do.
That's what it all boils down to, Harvey! 8)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Maybe someone has some more pictures? Would like to see them lined up in all their glory! 8)

cbxian
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxian »

Hi Nils,

Sorry for delay in response, been busy catching up since I got back to Hong Kong.

It was great to see you at the Irish Rally ... you are very welcome re. the loan of the CBX-B! As my Grandfather taught me, "What goes around, comes around!" ... so many CBXers in USA have helped me out through the years, it is good to be able to give back a little. It was funny to find you in that Pub in Dungiven, a place 5 miles from my Home that I would never have imagined going before (Protestands don't usually stop in Dungiven)! ... and for you to have left your bags unattended in there (the locals thought it was a Bomb!!).

We had 130 CBXs at the Rally (120 on Friday Ride-out, and 10 in the car park!) and a load of other Bikes (from CB900F, through RD500LC, to Hyabusa, etc) ... with about 230 CBXers in attendance! I attach some photos for your enjoyment. According to the CBX Club Chairmen from around Europe this was the Biggest and Best Euro CBX Rally yet ... a credit to the 'Chief Organiser' Rickie White.

Best Regards, IAN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Home : ian@ netvigator.com (www.cam-hk.com)
Work : ian@udi-hk.com (www.udi-hk.com)

cbxian
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxian »

More photos ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Home : ian@ netvigator.com (www.cam-hk.com)
Work : ian@udi-hk.com (www.udi-hk.com)

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”