Bike titled to engine serial number

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
jicase
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Bike titled to engine serial number

Post by jicase »

I bought a cbx a couple of years ago and just noticed that the Wisconsin title has the engine serial number not the Vin number? Does anyone know why this would be? Thanks, Mike PS. It took me a long time to find the number on the engine!

jicase
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Bike titled to engine serial number

Post by jicase »

Its a 1979.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

It happened to me once a few years ago. It was a old Ohio title and years ago they required engine number and the frame number. They then at some time changed that procedure and just was suppose to put the vin number on the title. On my bike they just put the engine number on the title instead of the frame vin. I actually caught this screwup at the previous owners house before I took ownership. He took bike to a police station and they confirmed the vin number screwup and then he went to the dmv and got the title right. Since then I check frame vin with title before I leave with bike.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Wisconsin. Home of the Harley Davidson.
Harleys way back when used to be titled by the engine number, not frame number. Maybe the clerk in WI was from that era.
Otherwise I would think it was an honest mistake and something along the line of what tevan described.
You should be able to get that corrected.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

In Minnesota the DMV now requires the title to contain the VIN number and also the engine number. They claim this is to prevent chop shops from building motorcycles from stolen parts and then retitling them. They are also under the false impression that all factory produced motorcycles have the engine number contained in the VIN number.
A few years ago I bought an all original 1973 CB 450 Honda,the old original title did not have the engine number on it. The engine number did not match the VIN number and when I tried to transfer the title the DMV said we are sending this title to the Special Investigative Unit to see if
this motorcycle contains stolen parts. 6 months later I received the title with a letter saying no violations were found.
This law also makes it impossible to install a used engine or even engine cases in a motorcycle you own.
You need a Minnesota title for the used engine and then have the motorcycle inspected by the DOT before the DMV will issue a new title containing the used engine number.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Further testimony as to how easy the guys in no-title states have it.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Arizona is a "ham sandwich" state, by which I mean I am pretty sure you could get a new title for one, with the payment of a small bond. California also requires examination of both the engine and VIN on entry to the state, and it also must bear an emissions compliance sticker. That very nearly bit me with the CBX.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”