If you love the CBX - You gotta have this...

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

If you love the CBX - You gotta have this...

Post by NobleHops »

Gents,

I just spent some quality time with the second CBX Book - the silver one. It is as incredible as the first.

So I want to put a plug in for the author, Ian Foster, a real gentleman and the most incredible ambassador for the CBX that we could ever have. Ian did an amazing job AGAIN, truly a labor of love in producing these, and you can still get this - unlike the Red book, which is long since sold out.

So a reminder - You can still buy this book. It's a bargain at $50 and it will give you many hours of enjoyment, without plugging its carburetors in between times you pick it up :lol: They cost US$50.00/Book, plus shipping. That's 442 pages of CBX goodness, history, manufacturing, racing, advertisements, specials and customs, and and and. There is also a DVD attached to the rear of the book allowing you to look at photos in much greater detail. It's a ton of stuff.

There are two places in the USA where these can still be found, before they start getting auctioned on eBay (for 6X the price, that is):

- From Jan Ringnalda (President of this very club) Email Jan at mrcbx@att.net and he can hook you up with a copy or two.

- And from Louis Mintrone of UsedCBXparts.com Louis can be reached at usedcbxparts@hotmail.com

Sneak peek:

Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: If you love the CBX - You gotta have this...

Post by NobleHops »

Eeek, I totally forgot something: If you're in OZ or NZ or generally down under, Rokland Skate (rol) has a few cases too, will save you considerable postage from the USA.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I keep beside my bed for nightly reading. Lot's of great info, I found out why I didn't get the black Z when I ordered that color back in 78. I was told there was no such color available, apparently there was but only in France and Germany. Until I read the book I never knew that black 79s existed.

And in a few markets the 80's could be selected in Perseus Silver!
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

wyly wrote:I keep beside my bed for nightly reading. Lot's of great info, I found out why I didn't get the black Z when I ordered that color back in 78. I was told there was no such color available, apparently there was but only in France and Germany. Until I read the book I never knew that black 79s existed.
Hot Damn, thanks Wyly, now I can say that my 79 that I had re-painted in 80 black is actually an ultra rare original. :D
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:
Hot Damn, thanks Wyly, now I can say that my 79 that I had re-painted in 80 black is actually an ultra rare original. :D
I recall a debate on website a year or two ago where a poster claimed to have found a used black Z in a US dealers showroom, other posters said it was a repaint despite the dealers claim. Now it appears it could indeed have been a legit black 79.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Germany got black '79s, but in 1980. Something to do with the horsepower laws. EMS can chime in and correct anything I got wrong........ :D
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Rick Pope wrote:Germany got black '79s, but in 1980. Something to do with the horsepower laws. EMS can chime in and correct anything I got wrong........ :D
what I recall hearing from way back '79 germany limited hp to less than 100hp on motorcycles, maybe it was myth. I also heard it emission controls in the USA that was responsible for reducing hp. I don't know if either are true because hp limits kept rising regardless.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”