Dead-Alive

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Dead-Alive

Post by EMS »

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Dead-Alive

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Hope they make it. One of those and a Motus in the stable would be a grand addition!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Hope they make it. One of those and a Motus in the stable would be a grand addition!

Yeah, "Larry Leno" :D :D

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

I would get one instantly if they came for sale in Canada some day as would people I know. Price wise puts it in the goldwing territory, but oh man, that Horex would perform! If fit and finish is up to par.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

EMS wrote:
Larry Zimmer wrote:Hope they make it. One of those and a Motus in the stable would be a grand addition!

Just looked up Motus as I had never heard of them. I know, I know, head in the sand sindrome.
Anyway, what do they cost? Not that I'd buy one just wondering and also what the snot is ride by wire?
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Motus lists in the $31k to $36k range. Haven't seen or ridden one. I think it's one of those 'better to not do it' things!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Motus lists in the $31k to $36k range. Haven't seen or ridden one. I think it's one of those 'better to not do it' things!
A friend test rode one recently. I'll post his thoughts:

"I had already scheduled the day to work in our Manchester, NH office when I got a notice about available test rides on the Motus MST this afternoon. So of course I took the opportunity to take off of work at 2:30 and head down to Rocket Moto for a test ride - led by Lee Conn, one of the founders of Motus. From what I have seen online, as well as the specs, I expected the bike to feel a little bigger than it did - I think Lee said ~560 pounds with a full tank of gas - which he said gets ~220 miles on the tank when riding hard. It did not feel big or heavy. It really felt mostly like a comfortable sport bike. I rode the standard MST with the Ohlins front forks and progressive suspension rear suspension. I was quite impressed with the fit and finish and attention to details on the motorcycle. Everything was very well thought out and clearly put together with expertise and care. They also have top line of everything - from the forged aluminum wheels (carbon fiber on the high end model) to the amazingly configurable heli bar setup on the handlebars to the levers to the sargent seat to the full color TFT display, etc etc. I was very happily surprised. Lee took myself and one other person on a ~20-25 minute loop. Local to Nashau so no super twisties but a couple of nice corners and we had an opportunity to wind out the motor a bit. With 123 ft-lb of torque, wow. The fueling was very good, the motor was smooth, and it really, really pulled. Even when I tried lugging it, a quick twist on the throttle got the bike going. It handled the bumpy roads well, turned in well, and Lee led a quick pace at parts of the short ride, including carrier good corner speed through a few turns. Definitely not a careful, slow ride which was awesome.The only thing I was slightly wary of was a bit clunky suspension, but you just needed to be a bit firm. Since the test bike I was riding had ~13k miles on it, not sure it will break in much more. There was a little bit of motion in neutral at rest due to the longitudinal crank, but I did not notice it at all when riding. Certainly nothing like my old LeMans.

I find it hard to get a full impression in such a short ride, but it worked well where it counts - in the first impression. The bike was comfortable, handled well, and had gobs of power wherever you needed it. The fit and finish was top notch too.

Lee and the mechanics drove their rig up with the bikes from the factory in Alabama. You could really tell he was an enthusiast with passion for riding. Of course he was trying to sell the bike, but it leaves a great impression all on it's own. Not sure about the $30k price tag, but I also don't think there are any mods I would want to make to the bike. So that should be figured in. I'm also intrigued by the new MV Agusta Veloce Turismo so maybe I just have a fascination with too expensive bikes :-).

If you are around Nashau tomorrow, I think stopping by Rocket Moto to check out the Motus would be fun. How often can you check out a new motorcycle from a new company that is actually making it happen...?"
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

'Ride by wire' is what most newer cars and many bikes have - no throttle cable, just an electrical wire carrying the throttle signal to the throttle bodies/injectors. I don't care for it in cars because you can 'fool' it too often and leave yourself in the middle of an intersection for a second with no power until it decides you want to go. Every one I've driven with the throttle wire had done this. Never drove a bike with it, but reports are they are OK and it gives you the option of easy cruise control and different riding modes (like on the GS BMW, Triumph Tiger and many others). Harley has had it on the big twins for years.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have it on the BMW K1600GT. It takes a little getting used to it as it has 3 different modes. Unless I put it in "Dynamic", the most aggressive throttle response, I keep stalling the engine at stop and go.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Thanks guy's for the explanation of ride by wire.
I think I prefer a mechanical connection.
I hate when engineers complicate a simple system.
Mind you I do own a CBX.
Me try,ing to sync 6 carbs = :sad-roulette:

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I do like my direct cable/linkage, too. BUT, without RBW all the new-fangled electronic control systems could not exist. Next -- a cable from the control module to your helmet to read brain waves. No need for twist grips, etc. Just grab the bars and go!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

New-Fangled electronic control systems. Bah Humbug!

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”