Which is cheaper an A2 standard spec or a Special

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
jackstraw
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Which is cheaper an A2 standard spec or a Special

Post by jackstraw »

What achieves the best price - an A2 condition CBX - ie original in almost every respect with the odd bit of tiredness expected of a 30 year old bike
or a Special with changed forks, swinging arm and perhaps tank, paintwork and a fair amount of bling
I'd always thought that a Special would carry a special price but I have seen a number of bikes with CBR or GSXR forks and swinging arms and other additions added with a price that seems lower than an A2 standard spec model

Obviously I appreciate that an A1 show condition low mileage bike or a MotoMartin or Spondon framed bike would be in a different class

Is it just that I have seen a few Special bargains or is this really the way that the market is

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Which is cheaper an A2 standard spec or a Special

Post by EMS »

I think there are too many factors that can influence the price of any bike to give a definite answer here.
It depends on the country, the specific buyers available at the time of the sale and the details of the bikes.
That being said, the highest prices I have seen were for stock, mostly original bikes with very low miles.

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

What EMS says holds pretty much true for classic bikes.

Specials often are interpretations of what the owner wants in a bike and not necessarily what the next person wants. I've seen stuff done to classic bikes that makes no sense to me but clearly lots of time and money have been invested in making the bike. Then there are others that I really would like to own.

Unless the special has some major significance, the original bike would normally fetch a higher price and have wider appeal.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Have to agree with the two previous posts. As the CBX aged in the fourteen years I was chairman of the UK CBX club and since the interest from buyers is for a bog standard machines. Ideally low mileage. Having said that there has been a number 79's advertised by dealers at very high prices which do not seem to be moving. I think the dealers are just trying to cash in on the rise of the CBX! Pity as
rather spoils it for young guys who aspire to a CBX and just cannot afford one. There are a number of very nice specials out there but owners/sellers rarely get a full return or profit when they come to sell. Usually the buyer does not like the color (colour)scheme or suchlike which adds to the cost for the buyer if they wish to change the color(colour).
Mel#1876
:flags-usa: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”