The badness of bad fuel :-(

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

The badness of bad fuel :-(

Post by RJ CB650 »

Darn, the 82 is parked. In previous discussion, it is pretty much sure that my low speed jetting is just too lean as I had a hesitation hole at a specific rpm. Since getting the bike, I have ran 91 Vpower shell simply because is guaranteed no ethanol. Alas, the other day, I had to fill up at an Esso...

Now she be running really bad, well, to the point of not ridable. While easy solution will be flush the tank, Guess time to re-pull the carbs and reservice earlier than intended. I have the 35 stocks in their now. In past somebody put on a performance exhaust and the K&L. I have the 50 that I took out, but am tempted to go and pick up another size or two, but am not looking forward to the carbs on/carbs off game. I know rich typically isn't a big deal if not too rich since that just means a bit of black in exhaust and worse fuel economy.

But to fiddle the brains, what lowspeeds are all ya running? Wondering... go with the 50s again which I felt and also said in a different forum was a fair bit, or is there a more recommended size that is common as a starting point?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: The badness of bad fuel :-(

Post by NobleHops »

Why don't you put a heavy load of Techron in some fresh gas and take it out for a good Italian tune-up before you give up on it?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

NobleHops wrote:Why don't you put a heavy load of Techron in some fresh gas and take it out for a good Italian tune-up before you give up in it?
That is one way of saying go run the SHIT out of it i guess.... :laughing-rollingyellow:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Much to my surprise there is actually a Wikipedia page on the origin of the term:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup

"The origin of the Italian tuneup comes from Ferrari. Owners would drive their cars infrequently and never run them hard, which causes the engine to build up enough carbon inside to affect performance. Mechanics would perform a "tuneup" by driving several laps around a race track to get the engine hot enough to burn out the built up carbon."
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Ha ha, thought I said post earlier, but apparently I didnt.

While I was seriously considering, yeah, just drain it and clean it, the fact it is so affected shows how fine line my fuel mix has been, so as a responsible owner, I will take this time to do some carb work that I had putting off in place of other service. Get that accelerator pump better dialed in and see if I can get that hesitation issue finally solved. As well, will replace all the plugs and wires since have not done that yet.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”