Early CBX Frame Numbers and Tags

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
b.wilson
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Early CBX Frame Numbers and Tags

Post by b.wilson »

There had been quite a bit of discussion in various parts of the Forum on CBX frame numbers, production numbers and VIN plates. I have a 1978 Australian-delivered CBX1000Z, which has the following on it:

Frame number stamped on right hand side of steering head: CB12011169

Honda build plate certifying compliance with several Australian design rules, showing 06/78 at the top right hand side and CB1 2011169. This is just before the general introduction of standard Australian Compliance Plates which many later bikes will have. This is not the manufacture date - it's the date the plate was fitted in Australia before sale here.

Engine number CB1E2011502 stamped on the flat surface towards the rear of the crankcase (the old position).

Note: The Honda build plate is not like all the plates elsewhere that show the model year in bold letters.

Hopefully, this will answer at least a few of the questions.

Cheers Brian

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Early CBX Frame Numbers and Tags

Post by EMS »

Thank you, Brian.
The VIN plate on the steering neck with the bold Model Year info and build date was only applied to North American CBX models.
Your bike with serial number 11169 falls into the August/September 1978 build period. Which month exactly, I cannot tell. The last August serial I have is 11051 and the first September serial is 12881. There is a large gap in my record for early September production.
It is unlikely, that the plate was fitted in June of 1978. Maybe that was the date of the general compliance certificate.
Considering about 2000-2500 bikes being produced every month, in June of 1978, they would not have been able to sell a 11169 serial number yet.
The engine serial of 11502 also fits perfectly into August/September time frame. 8)

b.wilson
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by b.wilson »

Yes, that's very interesting. The plate may well have been put on a bit later - certainly before it could be sold. I'll go back now and double check the month on the plate!

b.wilson
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by b.wilson »

Well, blow me down. Yes, it's actually 09/78 on the plate. Very hard to see behind all the cables and the area where the date is was mostly rubbed away by them, but still just visible because it's stamped.

This suggests August or early September build, exactly as you say. The plates would have been stamped up and attached after the bikes landed, but before they were delivered to the dealers.

The date on the plate is on the lower left - not where I thought - and level with the frame number shown to its right.

Your info is better than mine!

Incidentally, this bike has VN60 carbs, which appear to be original. I thought the Australian ones had VN63 or 64.

Cheers

Brian

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Brian:

Glad it turned out in line and we didn't run into another mystery! :mrgreen:
The carbs for a 1979 OZ bike should be VB60 and are correct on your bike.
VB63s were for non-U.S. and non-Can 1980 market models
VB64s were for Prolinks, CBX-B and -C

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I think VB61 was the carb number for non-US '79s.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

South Africa, Canada and Australia also had VB60As. So had the General Export models that were not designated for a specific country/market.
Only France, Germany, the U.K. and Honda's direct import to European markets had VB61As

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Got it.

Dave

b.wilson
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by b.wilson »

Yes, the number on my carbs is VB60A. So it all adds up.

Thanks for the info!

Brian

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Cool, Brian! Now, all we need to know is, if you have talked to Al Jardine and Mike Love regarding that reunion... :think:

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”