Motorcycle cover - good idea or bad idea?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Motorcycle cover - good idea or bad idea?

Post by Syscrush »

Hey all.

My CBX is gonna live outside until this winter - I just might have a garage for it next year, but for now it's out on the street.

I am really of 2 minds about covers - they're made to protect the bike from the elements, and I understand that. It would definitely be nice to finish detailing it and throw the cover over it knowing that it won't be covered in dust, tree sap, bird crap, or water marks when I go for my next ride. On the other hand, out in the elements there is definitely going to be wind, and that has to result in the cover rubbing against paint & other finishes. In the past, when my bikes lived outside, I used something like the cycleshell, which prevents the rubbing (or at least really cuts down on it):

But on a public street I don't think this is viable. Also, I kept getting paranoid that someone may have stolen the bike when I was gone or asleep - I kept opening the cover to see if the bike was actually in there.

So, what say you? Covered or uncovered? And if covered, who makes a good quality cover for the early bikes?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Motorcycle cover - good idea or bad idea?

Post by harvey »

I won't park a bike overnight without a cover unless it is in a garage. Keeps folks away from the bike!

There are a lot of different style covers and similar units to what you pictured. I would check with Exigent, EZ Touring, UltraGuard, Nelson Rigg, and many others. I am sure a Google search will turn up more different type covers than you have time to examine.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

If a bike parked out in the street over here in some of the large cities I don't think it would be still there in the morning and doubt the insurance company would pay up. My Goldwing has an alarm fitted and they insurance company said I was not to park on my driveway overnight. So,both my CBX and the Wing in the garage and our cars on the drive. I think I told the story on here a few years ago where my friend came back from a run to France on his 82 special and was so tired he just parked the bike next to his house( in London) with a lock on it and went to bed. He now knows he should have found the time to put in his garage as it was gone in the morning and the insurance company would not pay up. Have you checked to see if your bike covered if parked in the street? Good luck with whatever you do.
cheers Mel #1876
:flags-canada: :flags-usa: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Guys, I don't like street parking, but that's how it's gonna be for a while. What I'm looking for is solid info on covers. Do they do more good than harm? Who makes a quality cover that fits the CBX-Z?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

A soft cover makes sense both for protection from the elements and a tiny bit of security[along with a heavy duty chain and padlock] from prying eyes.
I don't think a properly fitting cover would chafe or mar finishes. The cheap ones that i got from Harbour Freight are fine for storing in the garage but would not use them long term outdoors.
Some things to consider in this article.http://www.bestmotorcyclecover.com/

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

I have the factory cover for my 81. Wind will cause it to wear through paint on bits that contact the cover, e.g., the trailing edge of the bags. I guess if you have the choice of a vandalized or stolen bike versus marred paint, the latter is preferable.
Al

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

OK, I decided to pull the trigger on a Titan 5L Ultimate Waterproof Motorcycle Cover. It's made up of 5 different layers - it's supposed to be weatherproof and the innermost layer is a "non-abrasive" fleece. To keep from being towed, I'm supposed to have both my plate and my parking permit visible even when the bike is covered - I think I will start out by gambling a little bit - I'll clip my permit on the outside of the cover when it's on but leave the plate covered. If I get a ticket that way, I'll get the cover modified to have some kind of window where the plate is.

I ordered from this place:

http://www.empirecovers.com/

Their web store is laid out quite nicely, but I don't think I can actually endorse them yet as I haven't received my cover or checked it for fit. :)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

In case anyone is interested, the cover arrived and it fits fine. It's a bit over-sized, but I can live with it. It has a nice non-abrasive fleece layer on the inside, but overall it is a bit bulky which will make storage a bit of a pain. Still, it's nice to be able to clean & detail my bike again - I've got a date with the toothbrush this weekend! :D
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

There are insurance companies that don't cover theft, what's the point of insurance if there is no theft coverage? My vehicle insurance protects me if it's parked on the street and my home insurance covers me if it's stolen while parked on my property.

My neighbour parks his HD outside the entire summer without a cover.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:what's the point of insurance if there is no theft coverage?
Liability & personal injury.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
wyly wrote:what's the point of insurance if there is no theft coverage?
Liability & personal injury.
yeah that's obvious but I have those as well as fire, hail, flood and theft.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

In the U.S., you have the option for different coverage. In Ohio, you have PLPD = personal loss and property damage, which is minimum required coverage. Then you can add comprehensive (with a deductible), which covers theft, fire accident damage or other loss. Depending on the amount of deductible, the premium varies. And there is some strange line item called uninsured motorist coverage, which picks up if you get hit by someone who does not have any or not enough insurance to cover your loss. Strange, because by law, everybody is supposed to carry insurance.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Phil, I gotta ask you about something. You recently said you've got beaucoup $ into your bike. A mini storage locker to fit a bike might cost you $50 a month over the winter. Why would you subject your beautiful motorcycle to the salt and slush and humidity of a Toronto winter unnecessarily?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

NobleHops wrote:Phil, I gotta ask you about something. You recently said you've got beaucoup $ into your bike. A mini storage locker to fit a bike might cost you $50 a month over the winter. Why would you subject your beautiful motorcycle to the salt and slush and humidity of a Toronto winter unnecessarily?
It's stored in a heated garage with stabilizer in the tank & carbs with the battery on a tender over the winter.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Oh crap. Your post said UNTIL this winter. Nevermind!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”