CBX Frame Number

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
CBXLozza
New Member & Happy To Be Here

CBX Frame Number

Post by CBXLozza »

About to start on a project bike which I purchased as an '80 Model US import into Australia. Accompanying paperwork states that it is an '80 Model....VIN SC032001467......Eng No. CB1E 2002057......Carbs ..VB60. The bike does not have a plate attached, and I am unable to find a frame number on the steering head (like my 82 Prolink does). Is it possible that the frame number is located elsewhere on the bike?? ......Lozza.

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX Frame Number

Post by mike209 »

Lozza, my '79 and '82 have vin stamped on the steering head so I assume '80 would be the same, if your frame was powdercoated this might be the reason you can't find your vin

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, powder coating can hide the stamped number. I can tell you that, if your paperwork is correct, your frame is a Japan-made '80, but alas, hope it's no biggie, your engine and carbs are from a '79 model. In addition, your engine is an early, smooth-stud version. That's not the original engine. Depending on what you want to do with it, that may not be important. Good luck!

Dave

CBXLozza

Post by CBXLozza »

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried scraping some paint away from the steering head area, but found layer on layer topped off with Candy Red. If that's the correct place to be looking, I'll get back to it in the morning and strip it back to bare metal. Just want to be sure it's there before blasting and painting. Thanks for the help.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It should be on the right side of the steering head, same as your other ones. Hope it's not been ground off!

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote: . Hope it's not been ground off!

Dave
I am afraid, that is probably what happened. I have seen that before. It then is questionable whether the frame is actually an 80 or maybe a 79, original to the motor and had the paperwork missing. Someone had 80 paperwork and made it fit the bike.
You have any pictures or other clues as to the identity of the frame? Are the forks air supported? Is the speedometer 80 mph or 150 mph? Are the rear shocks adjustable? What do the wheels look like, black or silver? Does the rear tailpiece have a lid?

CBXLozza

Post by CBXLozza »

Will follow up in the morning on all the advice given and see what I come up with. Thanks to all.....L

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

A CBX claimed to have VIN SC03-20 01467 was sold out of Virginia in April 2011. Back then it had a red frame, black motor and silver 1979 wheels. It had 19,200 miles on the odometer.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Easy way to tell is look at the swingarm pivot.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:Easy way to tell is look at the swingarm pivot.

Dave
8) :lol: For you, that is, Dave! Someone with less expertise does not know what to look for. :think:

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

A CBX claimed to have VIN SC03-20 01467 was sold out of Virginia in April 2011. Back then it had a red frame, black motor and silver 1979 wheels. It had 19,200 miles on the odometer.
That is amazing, EMS, I wonder if you know story behind my project cbx

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Mike, put your calipers on the end of the swingarm pivot where the nut is. Measure the diameter of the pivot. If it's 14mm, that's a 79 frame. If it's 16, it's an 80 frame.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

mike209 wrote: That is amazing, EMS, I wonder if you know story behind my project cbx
Mike: PM me with the VIN number. I will see if I have anything.

CBXLozza

Post by CBXLozza »

That is the correct bike, only now it resides "Downunder". A thing of beauty... a sight to behold. Red frame possibly painted with an old fly spray. Black engine courtesy of a carton of black spray cans......Mmmm nice. Carb bank sort of black due to light dusting of overspray. Corbin seat sitting flat on the frame, no brackets or bolts to hold it on. Fitted with 'high rise bars' which could be Sports Bars but don't work with standard length clutch cable. Loose and cut wires everywhere you look. I currently still have my sense of humour, but Oh Dear, What have I done.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I seem to remember, that an outfit called "Pinwall Cycles" in Massilon, Ohio had a red frame CBX for sale at one time. Don't know if that is the same... :think:

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”