Tyre choices

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tyre choices

Post by paullavery »

Now I've got my registration back from the DVLA my bike is good to use on the road :D Thought i'd spend a bit of time checking everything out before my first ride, although the tread on the front tyre looks ok, on closer inspection the sidewall appears to be glazing & it looks like the rubber has gone brittle ! Not surprising when I checked the date code which reads 3701 (so a 2001 year of manufacture) the rear looks good & still has the rubber moulding things on the sidewall, but that is showing a date code of 3311 (so 2011 year of manufacture) so technically there should be another couple of years in the rear, however on my other bikes I prefer to change them as a pair as I don't like to take chances on whats between me & the road. Just wondering what tyre choices other riders/users are using.

Cheers, Paul.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Tyre choices

Post by NobleHops »

Paul,

I love you like life itself, your posts nourish my soul. All that said, did you try a search for that topic? It's been covered, repeatedly, recently, and there is an entire topic dedicated to it.

viewforum.php?f=28

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Joner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Joner »

Paul,

Go for the Bridgestone Battlax, or however it is spelt, easy to locate and good all round tyre for uk roads.

Cheers
Chris J.
Grey-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

NobleHops wrote:Paul,

I love you like life itself, your posts nourish my soul. All that said, did you try a search for that topic? It's been covered, repeatedly, recently, and there is an entire topic dedicated to it.

viewforum.php?f=28

N.
I did, but most of those posts are more than a couple of years old & as tyres are changing all the time I figured there may be more recent info available from other members. No worries though as probably tyre choices are going to be different over here, will try FB Group to see what guys are using over here, Cheers, Paul.

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

Joner wrote:Paul,

Go for the Bridgestone Battlax, or however it is spelt, easy to locate and good all round tyre for uk roads.

Cheers
Chris J.
Thanks Chris I'll check them out.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

..and of course, there are other suggestions. T"y"re choices are like oil threads....
Just in the last two years or so, Continental has introduced a "Reifen" for the vintage bike segment.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cont ... dial-tires

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Paul: Whatever you choose (Bridgestone S-11s are my favorite), please use the stock sizes and DO NOT put a 110/90 on the front. Many guys are tempted and ruin the front fender as a result.

Dave

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

Looks like the general consensus over here are the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 as Chris mentioned, can't seem to find any reference to the S-11s over here, but maybe they market them differently over here with an alternative name ? Will definitely be keeping the sizes stock though, looks like my first ride on the bike will be to get the tyres fitted.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

paullavery wrote:Looks like the general consensus over here are the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 as Chris mentioned, can't seem to find any reference to the S-11s over here, but maybe they market them differently over here with an alternative name ? Will definitely be keeping the sizes stock though, looks like my first ride on the bike will be to get the tyres fitted.
Last time I bought a Bridgestone (for my Kawasaki triple) I bought a BT023. My source did not offer the S-11. Maybe Bridgestone don't make it anymore :think:

cbx1956
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbx1956 »

paullavery wrote:Looks like the general consensus over here are the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 as Chris mentioned, can't seem to find any reference to the S-11s over here, but maybe they market them differently over here with an alternative name ? Will definitely be keeping the sizes stock though, looks like my first ride on the bike will be to get the tyres fitted.
The Battlax BT45 is a great tyre but, like Dave McM, I also choose to go with the S11. The proper designation is Bridgestone S11 Spitfire; front would be 100/90 x 19 and rear would be 120/90 x 18. As Dave says don't fiddle with oddball sizes & profiles

Dave H

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Who sells the S11??

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

All the usual suspects have the S11 listed.
Motorcycle Superstore, Revzilla, Jake Wilson
https://www.jakewilson.com/p/1742/17103 ... cycle-Tire

Looks like they weren't offered in the UK. Even the discontinued section of the Bridgestone site does not show them.
All the ones for sale on E-bay are from the States.

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

Thanks for all the replies, definitely can't get the S11s here in the UK so looks like it'll be the BT45s then, Cheers, Paul.

cbx1956
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbx1956 »

Can't go wrong with BT45 Paul- I have them on my 900F Boldor & also my '80 CBX. A little bit more expensive than the S11 but if you can't get those over there then you'll be very happy with the BT45. Go for it... :-)

Dave H

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

I'm off to my shed to take the weeks off & i'll drop them in tomorrow for new tyres.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”