Tyre choices

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Tyre choices

Post by EMS »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:All the usual suspects have the S11 listed.
The official Bridgestone site does not show the S11.
You can still buy new Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires, although Michelin has not made it in 3 years.
I wonder if that is the same situation with the S11? :?
At the Motorcycle Superstore the S11 is marked as a closeout.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The last S11s I bought a year ago had a date code from 2012, I think. That very well could have been the last batch they made and what's left is all there is. Nothing wrong with the BT45 except it didn't get the mileage of the S11. Shinko makes a pretty good tire, I understand, in the CBX sizes as well. JR in Michigan uses and likes them. As I have said many times, any tire you can buy today is far superior than what we had to pick from 35 years ago. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/61 ... -rear-tire.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I have Bridgestone spitfire S11 on my '82 per Dave's recommendation and they are very good. I'm at 5km and still plenty thread on them.
I also can't remember if I found any other tire in the original size. I don't think Battlax 45s are available in '82 size.
You may find 1 Dunlop model tire for front but not for the rear and same goes for few other brands but I think that we need to have same model tires front and back.
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cross wrote: I think that we need to have same model tires front and back.
Sasha
I am not sure about this. Yes, it is a common perception that we need to have the same tire front and rear, but...
While I usually also select the same tire for both wheels, in some occasions, when the front tire lasts much longer than the rear, I have replaced the rear on a bike with a different tire than what still was on the front.
I also know quite a few people who ride extreme long distances (Key West to Prudhoe Bay, for example) and they replace tires while on the road and in most cases are not able to get the same model tire for the one wheel it is needed on.
I have not heard anybody reporting about a negative experience. We had a tire company rep giving us a lecture during one of our local BMW club meetings and when asked that question, he could not say anything that would prevent using a different model tire. Maybe someone with actual experience could weigh in. Of course, you should not pair radial with bias-ply tires... :think:

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I'm sure that it's possible to do so only I'm thinking that different tire brands and models within the same brand have different compounds and thread design and that it would effect the way bike handles.
I'm not expert rider or expert on this subject just some common sense.

What do we do now that s11 are fazed out? What is an alternate size for the rear as there are only shenko, kenda and irc? There are all kind of options for the front though.
When I bought the bike, it had dunlops on it but rear was different size and I found it difficult to put bike on center stand or maybe it was the fact that this was my first bike with center stand.

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The verdict is still out whether the S11s are NLA or not.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Bridgestone doesn't have them listed on their website.
Here is a link for list of tires per OEM specs and for cbx, there is nothing on the list of available tires.
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/mot ... /honda.pdf

I bet that by the time my tires wear out which will probably be In about a year that they will not be available any more :(
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

kia001
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by kia001 »

I found BT45 and S-11s today in the US, no problem with supply, around $225/set.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Can you let the site know you found those tires.
It would also be nice to know the build dates on the tires.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”