Hrmm... What was that pro-link shock replace again?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hrmm... What was that pro-link shock replace again?

Post by RJ CB650 »

Well, some of ya might remember discussions in the fall about that rear air suspension. Debate on to remove the air, or rebuild.

Thinking on it and some other non bike related stuff. I say fiddles on it and will replace the rear with the non air upgrade. I like keeping things original, but I can keep the original and since have the rebuild parts, if for whatever reason I want to go back to the air, that is no problem. Yes. I have even the original honda seal in package :p So I remember some of you recommending specific ones that are ideal (and I think was said designed) to replace the air shock.

Since upgrading the back, am wondering the front. Always felt a little soft to me, or I was losing air... shrug. Anyways, is there a front spring upgrade that is recommended?

Lastly, the start of the cause of the discussion to start which had resulted in a broken mirror. I was going to get replacement from CMSNL, but a car accident delayed me thinking about it, and the NOS ones I knew about are gone. So I know of usedcbxparts, but any canadian ones first? Well, thankie guys. I haven't been on the forum for a bit and know I can be... abrasive... but end of day, when calmed down, logic prevails. Do the upgrade right, it can always be reversed in the future.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Hrmm... What was that pro-link shock replace again?

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Progressive springs or Race-Tec for the front forks.
I have a right side Prolink mirror in good shape that i will never use. You can have if you can't find NOS.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Hi, and thanks for the offer! Is progressive also a good one for the rear monoshock? That is what I was thinking, but wasn't 100% sure.

As for the NOS, similar to stuff we had earlier. I actually decided to look for a salvage one first. The bike had cuffs and wear so is in original, but not stock condition. NOS is probably too good for the bike, so I am thinking used better direction. Save the NOS parts for the restorers and showroom condition.

Initially I was thinking of getting both left and right so the condition matches, but if there is a solo one out there, I will gladly work with you and buy it off you. Feel free to send me a message and we can figure it out ^.^

Poor bike. The suspension had felt soft to me and when I did the front forks, they were in terrible shape so I am certain the rear needs serious service. A strong wind came from an odd angle while I was at a bbq and I heard the creak of suspension compression and watched it tip, hence really need to upgrade and full overhaul suspension. Glad I used the helmet lock that day or whole right side would have been wrecked.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

RC

Progressive 365 rear shock. I think you can find them under $400 USD on Amazon. That one is a manual adjust for preload. Also, they have a remote adjust for $500+. From what I can see of my installation, the manual preload adjust requires removing the rear wheel. Don't see any other way to get the spanner onto the nuts. The damping adjust is easily accessible from underneath with everything in place. My opinion -- it's worth it!!

For the front-end, go Racetech. Whether you do progressive-wound springs -- eh!?!! You might as well do the progressive-wound, though, because you will have to change something to compensate for the height of the Racetech valves. If you are enough wrench to rebuild your own forks, you can do the Racetech yourself. Only 'special' tool that helps much is a drill-press to do the holes in the damper rod.

Oh, while you have the rear apart, disassemble all the linkage and check the bushings. Most are available, yet, from Honda. At minimum, pull them apart and grease them!!!
Tip: When re-installing the 'dog bone' links, insert the frame attaching bolts from the inside. Then, next time you pull the links for bushing greasing, you won't have to drop the pipes.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Checking out the racetech stuff, pretty awesome rebuild actually. Will need to do a price tally to see about a 100% rebuild. Did not even see all of that being possible before your recommendation, but the pennies will be a factor. Comparing a spring replacement to entirely new hardware. They were fully rebuilt last year, but might have missed something. If I go that route, I will spend the money on pretty much complete system including the tubes. But that will come down to total cost. Exhaust is my big expense cause I really don't like the aftermarket that had come with the bike.

Edit: Pricing, I will probably hold off on the racetech upgrade. It has been added to my to-do list so will be done, but something higher priority to the front forks first, I will just direct replace front springs with a set from progressive. Rear will get it's full rebuild including bushing. They be squeaking. Next winter I will do the full replacement front if not satisfied yet.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

RJ,
On that rear suspension, most of the bushings are the same part. I got mine a year ago from Partzilla. The bushings that go into the connection between the links and the swingarm are unobtainium the best I know. If they need replacing, you'll probably want to have some cut from oil-impregnated bronze (oilite). I don't know a source, off-hand. Dave might help here. JR Luksik or Jim Zemanek might be able to direct you. Let me know if you would like any directional help. Send me a pm.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

I need to take a proper close look at the underside there. The bike is low mileage and from my preliminary inspection, seemed in good shape, when I get under there and start working, I can take a better look. As for the unobtanium, never know. Had luck with the impossible to find shock seal now sitting in my parts cabinet ^.^ Dealer just had one sitting on their shelf XD Ugh, should have had all this done before the new year.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I may have told you this before, but by the time you go through the procedure to rebuild the stock shock, you'll be wishing you'd have thrown it away and bought a replacement. It is a very messy, tedious process - biggest problem is knowing whether you got all the old oil out and enough new oil in. Even if successful, you are still left with a poor excuse for a shock.

Dave

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Ditto what Dave said, RJ. Unless you are really, really hung-up on being stock. One other thing I neglected to mention, check the seals on all the bushings when you remove all the linkage in the rear. Check carefully. Old age puts creases and cracks in more things than just my face. You'll have a few $$ in bushings and seals; BUT, worth it when all's said-and-done.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

25 years ago, when I redid the bushings in the swingarm, I reassembled using moly paste instead of grease. Honda sells some as Moly 60. That has worked well, and I haven't done anything to the arm since.
Al

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Al,
I sent you a PM.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

daves79x wrote:I may have told you this before, but by the time you go through the procedure to rebuild the stock shock, you'll be wishing you'd have thrown it away and bought a replacement. It is a very messy, tedious process - biggest problem is knowing whether you got all the old oil out and enough new oil in. Even if successful, you are still left with a poor excuse for a shock.

Dave
yuppers, that is why I am doing the replace. I love original being kept, but I can keep original in a box for the rear. Front full rebuild isn't needed, but would be nice with the money in the rear.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

RJ CB650 wrote:yuppers, that is why I am doing the replace. I love original being kept, but I can keep original in a box for the rear. Front full rebuild isn't needed, but would be nice with the money in the rear.
Here is the complete list of times I have wished that I hadn't put so much time, money, or effort into upgrading the suspension of a motorcycle:

:think:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Syscrush wrote: Here is the complete list of times I have wished that I hadn't put so much time, money, or effort into upgrading the suspension of a motorcycle:
:think:
Ha ha! Isn't that I don't want to, but which I want to do first. It WILL be done, but I also have my 650, 450, VW GTI, and a new bike I wish to get. The CBX front is high priority, but a 2015 Tiger XCx (or depending, the weestrom) are on top right now. The front suspension would be a fair chunk for that. But I am thinking back to one point where the front nosed icky over bump. I contacted Racetech to see what they offer for a full rebuild essentially. If I do it, new tubes and what I can get. There was some bad moisture contamination in the forks. I cleaned em good, but one spring had rust on it. I would like to just replace it all, start from new.

That said, I also will need to do the clutch cage. I am certain there is ridges in there. Typical hard shift and difficulty for neutral.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”