My first CBX

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

My first CBX

Post by paullavery »

Finally got my first CBX, it was delivered yesterday after being collected in illinois early November last year. I'd been looking for awhile here in the UK but couldn't find anything decent here within my budget so decided to look in the US. Managed to find this '79 bike for sale, was a bit daunting at first, particularly buying a bike that I hadn't actually seen in person, but after some help/advice from a few people in the states (particularly Dave McMunn, who made me feel a bit more confident with the process) & also I was very lucky with the seller Terry, who was great with all his help & sorting all the relevant paperwork req for US customs etc.

This is the bike as advertised by Terry.

A few pics of it being loaded on transport to New York

Managed to get hold of a few pics by the shipping company before it was loaded into the container

& then after nearly 2 months in transit it was delivered to its new home here in the UK

It would appear that someone along its long route had attempted to or started the bike as the fuel tap & choke lever were in different positions & the battery was flat (point to remember for next time I import a bike, I will get the battery removed & keys sent by courier) Apart from this issue & the fact that the US Title has disappeared the shippers seemed to have done a good job.

Whilst charging the battery I had time to replace the US headlight with a UK specced one & disconnect the running lights as it won't pass the MOT here, also replaced the mirrors with some stock round mirrors.

Unfortunately having not owned a CBX I was unfamiliar with the starting procedure on these bikes when they have sat for a while & after the battery was back up to charge I attempted to start it, but no luck there. I spoke to Terry via email & he has pointed me in the right direction re:starting so hopefully today i'll get it running !

Have to say anyone thinking of buying a bike in the US & shipping it to the UK, DO IT, its not as bad as you think, just have to be patient.

Cheers, Paul.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: My first CBX

Post by EMS »

Good to hear, Paul! Congratulations for a successfully completed transaction 8)

The title may have been withheld by U.S. customs authorities. I have never exported a bike from the U.S., but imported several vehicles from Germany and German authorities always kept the title and issued an export document.

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

EMS wrote:Good to hear, Paul! Congratulations for a successfully completed transaction 8)

The title may have been withheld by U.S. customs authorities. I have never exported a bike from the U.S., but imported several vehicles from Germany and German authorities always kept the title and issued an export document.
That may explain it then, but didn't get an export document with it ? Will have to contact Honda UK to try and get a dating certificate for the DVLA here to register it on an age related plate as I don't want it on a Q plate.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

paullavery wrote: Will have to contact Honda UK to try and get a dating certificate for the DVLA here .

Oh man :o Good luck with this one... :roll:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Congrats, Paul. The bike looks great.
I am surprised the shipper didn't have the battery and gas removed before they even touched it.

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Congrats, Paul. The bike looks great.
I am surprised the shipper didn't have the battery and gas removed before they even touched it.
They just told us to drain the tank to 1/4 full & that was it ??

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

Don't know what the situation is from US to UK, but from US to Canada, you get the title. The export documents for my car comprised bill of sale, title, and lien satisfaction.
Al

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

Congratulations Paul, Bike looks excellent!! I'm sure you will love it!-Mike

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Paul and All:

You may have averted disaster right away here. If the fuel tap even MAY have been tampered with and there was gas in the tank, then you should have drained the carbs, then pulled the plugs and turned the engine over to be sure there was no cylinder full of gas.

Seeing as you got away with that, there are about a million threads here about starting these things and about long-term storage. Might be a good idea to browse around a bit before venturing much further.

Dave

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

Congratulations. Bike looks good. They are just such a beautiful piece of engineering art. Hope you have hours of fun riding and just looking at it. Interesting point about importing.
Last edited by Michael Vidovic on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

I did know about issues with cylinders full of fuel, that was my worst fear tbh & on reflection i think it would have been much safer to of had the tank completely drained before shipping. I did however pull the plugs to check first & then also turned it over several times with the kill switch off. I think it had been started & run somewhere along its journey & probably used whatever fuel was in the tank. In my eagerness to hear it running I stupidly didn't think of filling the tank first, obviously once i'd rectified that issue it was pretty straight forward to get it running.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Paul,

If you contact Steve Gosine the webmaster for the UK cbx club he has recently obtained an age related plate on a silver 79 Z and he can make sure you get the correct plate. Steve is on gosine@tesco.net Good luck. If incorect procedure carried out would not be a Q plate just a modern one as normally Q plates go on specials such as Moto-Martins. I know as I have had two through my workshop and John Stone the spares director of that club has one.

cheers Mel #1876 UK club 6001
:flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

cbxmel wrote:Paul,

If you contact Steve Gosine the webmaster for the UK cbx club he has recently obtained an age related plate on a silver 79 Z and he can make sure you get the correct plate. Steve is on gosine@tesco.net Good luck. If incorect procedure carried out would not be a Q plate just a modern one as normally Q plates go on specials such as Moto-Martins. I know as I have had two through my workshop and John Stone the spares director of that club has one.

cheers Mel #1876 UK club 6001
:flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Thanks Mel,

I'll send him an email now.

Cheers, Paul.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”