UK spec headlight

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

UK spec headlight

Post by paullavery »

Was talking to the guy who will be doing the MOT on my bike when I get it next week & he mentioned that the U.S. style headlight will be different than the UK one, the dipped beam will be different & will not pass the MOT here, although you can get over this with a bit of tape over the lense he reckons the headlights are generic to other Honda models ? Anybody know what models will work ?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: UK spec headlight

Post by EMS »

U.K. spec headlight insert for CBX Z and A was part-number 33120-371-601, indicating it came from the 1975-77 Goldwing.

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

EMS wrote:U.K. spec headlight insert for CBX Z and A was part-number 33120-371-601, indicating it came from the 1975-77 Goldwing.
Thanks for that, I managed to speak to someone at David Silver & they do a replacement insert, it's good to have the part number though, cheers, Paul.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It's nice to know that you guys over there are being made so much safer than we are here!

Dave

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

daves79x wrote:It's nice to know that you guys over there are being made so much safer than we are here!

Dave
I know, it's a bit of a joke really, can't see that either headlight is really going to make much difference to other road users, particularly when you compare them to all these modern vehicles with their lights that would light up a runway :shock:

Anyway my CBX has now been collected from Felixstowe so should be with me any day now ! It's been a long wait.

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

My DB7 headlights are particularly easy to set up for left-lane or right-lane countries. There's a sliding ring on the back: rotate one way for left, the other for right.
Al

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I assume the difference in the headlight is because most European countries have an asymmetric low beam which has a shorter reach on the side of oncoming traffic. This is achieved by the pattern in the glass of the lense.
In addition, the U.K. would have it on the other side, because they drive on the wrong side of the road...... :mrgreen: :DD

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

EMS wrote:I assume the difference in the headlight is because most European countries have an asymmetric low beam which has a shorter reach on the side of oncoming traffic. This is achieved by the pattern in the glass of the lense.
In addition, the U.K. would have it on the other side, because they drive on the wrong side of the road...... :mrgreen: :DD
Yes you can get away with some tape on the lense to alleviate this but personally I think it's better to replace the unit. Judging by the way a lot of people drive in the UK i reckon they must have come from Mars !

Anyway just had a call from the bike transporter & I'll be taking delivery of my bike on Tuesday morning, not sure what to expect after it's been in a shipping container for the last 8/9 weeks, should be interesting to see if it's all working ok.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”