''79 sport kits

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

''79 sport kits

Post by paullavery »

Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on parts needed to install a sport kit to a '79 model, prob going to try & obtain the parts separately, I can look up part numbers etc but just need a basic list of what is needed. Have already got a few parts that seem to be missing or not quite right on my '79 even though it hasn't left the US yet, but have now been told it is arriving in the UK on the 21st Dec. Nice christmas present for myself :D

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: ''79 sport kits

Post by CopperCollar »

Damn, here goes.
Lower bars 35mm diameter, shorter clutch cable, choke cable, A & B throttle cables are different, shorter brake line from the front master cylinder to the splitter, left and right switches with shorter wiring, the right switch assembly will have throttle cables coming from top vs bottom..
Side steps with the 14mm swing arm bolt holes, shifter linkage assembly, rear brake linkage.

Did I miss anything guys?

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Pretty much got it, Mike. You can get by with the stock high-bar left switch - just fold the extra wire inside the headlight. You also have to source shorter footplate bolts - no big deal. Many guys replace the brake lines anyway and sport kit-length lines are available. I think TIMS sells reproduction rubber lines in the sport kit version as well. All the rest you list is pretty much what you have to have to convert.

Paul - you might have it easier over in GB as all the bikes there came with the kit standard, as I'm sure you know. Some of the cables will still be available new from Honda there, I'm sure. Ask around over there in the CBX circles to see what someone might have for sale - it'd be really nice to find a whole kit. Louis of usedcbxparts.com has NOS complete kits and complete used ones as well, but are pricey. He would also have just about any used or NOS sport kit part you might need.

So you decided you might like a sport kitted CBX after all?

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here is an image of all the parts that Honda supplied. You do not need all of them. If you need a specific part number, let me know.

paullavery
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by paullavery »

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated, think i can probably get most of the parts here in the UK. Ever since you mentioned the sport kit Dave I've been undecided but think it might be a better option as far as handling is concerned, but think it best to wait till I actually get the bike first. Cheers, Paul.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

paullavery wrote: I've been undecided but think it might be a better option as far as handling is concerned,
Cheers, Paul.
Personally, I don't think the lower bars and rear-set pegs improve handling. They give you a different riding position, which is a little more leaned forward, that's all. It is all personal preference.
You may find, that the angle of the handlebars when lower, can become a tad uncomfortable on your wrists. They provide a little room for rotation but it may not ne enough.
That has been the major complaint about the Sport Kit from people in the past. I don't ride my 79 or 80 long enough in a day that it bothers me, but on my 81 Prolink, which I converted to Euro set-up (a.k.a. Sport Kit) I feel it, especially with thicker, padded grips it has.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”