Ethanol In Fuel

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ethanol In Fuel

Post by EMS »

I have used Startron in the past to condition fuel during storage and occasionally during operation and although I never had a problem with it, I will try this one also.
New (to me) kid on the block. Anybody had experience with it?

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Ethanol In Fuel

Post by hondaman160mph »

I have been using Stabil for years and was happy with the results but last spring after winter storage I was shocked to see lots of rust in my cb450's gas tank above the fuel level.
I always try to buy non oxygenated (no ethanol) fuel but when it's dispensed from a pump with one hose the switching valve may be some distance from the nozzle allowing a considerable amount of the fuel from the last customer to end up in your tank. I believe this is what happened and caused the rust even with Stabil in the tank. I am now using Stabil 360 which is supposed to release additives to prevent rust above the fuel level in the tank.This will be the first season using it,I will see how the tanks looks next spring
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

I've only used the Startron stuff and the product from Lucas, both without any issues.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Where I live, all Shell 91 octane is guaranteed ethanol free. Is only thing I use. As such, what do these stabilizers do? Prevent degredation, smooth performance? Looking for from you guys, not their site's marketing ploys ;-)

I do know ethanol does screw up carbs. From experience on a rather newish KLR. Ethanol 87 fuel, vibration from engine and reduced performance. Numb hands with 30 minutes on a highway. Put in ethanol free 87 (this is while I was in the states) and smooth the whole tank.

I think in terms of performance, is less the ethanol part, and more that ethanol is high octane and is used to "cut" the fuel from a lower octane...

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”