IVI CBX Titanium

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: IVI CBX Titanium

Post by NobleHops »

It's been 4+ years since the worst of the rancor here, and I have no wish to see it return. I also have no wish to stir up bad feelings recalling it, personally. It's been much better to just move on.

So lets just move on, shall we?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

I completely agree. all the best to one and all. Mel 1876
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

indeed! I still want to learn more about that frame and mount modifications!!!

Imagine!VehiclesInt
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Imagine!VehiclesInt »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Welcome to the site.
Lots of nice bits on your custom build.
Thank goodness we have varying opinions on these brutes. It would be so boring if we didn't.
Got any video of the bike going down the road.

Thank you Steve. I have a video of it running. I'll post shortly ! I'm happy you like it.

Imagine!VehiclesInt

rpleines wrote:IVI CBX Titanium, beautiful build, tastefully done, fantastic!!!!!!! Thanks for joining the site and posting. In my opinion the best first post ever on this site. Sincerely, Rich
:text-thankyouyellow: :text-welcomewave: :text-coolphotos: :text-woo:
Thank you Rich !! I very much appreciate your support! I put a lot of hard work and time into this build, so I am pleased it is seen for the beauty it has. Appreciate that you liked my first post as well !

Imagine!VehiclesInt

Re: Nice work

Bob Buehler wrote:I have a great deal of respect for anyone that can fabricate and build art based on a motorcycle, especially a cbx. The bike looks great and represents a lot of work that most of us cannot do. If you have some negative opinion be careful how you express it or keep it to yourself please. No one really cares if you don't like something. There are plenty of things in like I don't care for but I a not going to waste my time looking for places to express it.

Just a note about negative opinions. This club used to have a much larger membership but negative opinions regarding non-stock CBXs has probably reduced the membership. I don't mind if you want to restore your bike to stock if that is your interest. Anyone that knows me is aware that I have always liked the modified stuff. There is only so many of us CBX enthusiasts left, lets not fragment the group with negative opinions regarding others interests or desires.
[img]6294[/img]
Very well said Bob. Hard work and passion are the most important.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Just thought you guys who like me admire top workmanship on a cbx would like to see this special that was built in the UK a few years ago by a buddy Joe Dawson. After the pictures were taken Joe fitted nitrous and the machine was sold. Unfortunately the bike was as they say 'Too fast for owner'!!! and was totally wrecked so is no more. As you can see the front and rear ends have been changed to CB900RR Fireblade items plus bodywork from the same machine. I did have the pleasure of sitting on it although never rode it. All paintwork by Joe himself and I think the zip fastner design down the centre of the gas tank is superb touch.
all the best Mel 1876
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxmel wrote: . Unfortunately the bike was as they say 'Too fast for owner'!!! and was totally wrecked so is no more. As you can see the front and rear ends have been changed to CB900RR Fireblade items plus bodywork from the same machine. Mel 1876
So, Mel...maybe the radical changes in the geometry without regard for the given parameters of the frame made the bike unfit for the performance and this is why it was wrecked.... :think: :mrgreen:

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Not at all Mike. Joe rode it for a number of years including with the nitreous fitted and indeed it was tested by two of the monthly magazines who said the handling was exceptionally good so one has to assume the final owner just could not cope with all that power. I am sure many a rider can recall when they perhaps got away with it. I know I have and in particular here in North Wales the roads are not for the inexperienced or a rider who thinks they can ride in a dangerous manner and get away with it. The statistics for North Wales motorcycle accidents prove it and that is why I produced the CBX DVD to raise funds for the North Wales Air Ambulance as they have to pick up the casualties afterwards.
Mel 1876
:flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:

Bob Buehler
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Bob Buehler »

I would assume Mike was joking wasn't he? I to can speak to the vast improvement in handling that a newer front and rear end can have on a CBX. That along with a little frame bracing and you have a whole different animal. I don't even care to put my 82 back on the road in stock fashion. For me it is the motor and the look of the bike that make it. I still like the look of the bike and think the motor is so one-of-a-kind. As far as the front and back suspension and breaks, and lets not forget those lovely ape hanger handle bars on the early models, that stuff can be sold the someone that wants stock show bike. If I am going to make room for it, I'm going to ride it. Maybe someday in the future I'll feel differently, god knows I have changed my views on some other idea in life. But for now, the thrill of the ride is more than the thrill of a trophy.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

What I enjoy the most about the builds here, wether it be stock, modified or super modified is the problem solving that the builder's share with us here on the forum. It allows the forum members to be part of the process, it's a give and take that keeps the forum fresh. There have probably been a half dozen heavily modified builds documented on this forum over the past year or so and all you need to do is look at the number of pages those threads generate, quite a bit more than the normal run of the mill topic.

Personally for me I don't necessary have to be head over heals about the direction someone's taking during their build to still be engaged and interested in their progress.

Unfortunately IVI CBX's first post was of his completed CBX, maybe if the forum members could have seen the bike while it was being built, all his hard work could be appreciated more, regardless if it isn't your cup of tea.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:What I enjoy the most about the builds here, wether it be stock, modified or super modified is the problem solving that the builder's share with us here on the forum. It allows the forum members to be part of the process, it's a give and take that keeps the forum fresh. There have probably been a half dozen heavily modified builds documented on this forum over the past year or so and all you need to do is look at the number of pages those threads generate, quite a bit more than the normal run of the mill topic.

Personally for me I don't necessary have to be head over heals about the direction someone's taking during their build to still be engaged and interested in their progress.

Unfortunately IVI CBX's first post was of his completed CBX, maybe if the forum members could have seen the bike while it was being built, all his hard work could be appreciated more, regardless if it isn't your cup of tea.
This is very well stated, I agree with all of it. :text-+1: :text-goodpost:
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Imagine!VehiclesInt

Gearheadgregg wrote:Bike is pretty cool in my opinion , lots of work for sure ! hope Post and comments i see here does not stop new members from showing their pride on this Forum, But ya know what ? i have too many hits on my You-tubes and 1st place trophies to let a small group like this piss on my Cheerios, couple here i own for the purist don't get their panties in a wad :lol: Image
Hey, Gregg, thank you for liking our bike. By the way, I see you have a nice 750SS there. Here is our take on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

My sentiments completly Jeff. Here are two images of Joe's special before and after he painted it and with some of the bodywork removed so you can see how he has gone about it.Wish I had had the opportunty to buy it. I think it was around $15,000 but that was some years ago.I know a lot of work went into the engine. My personal opinion is having sat on it and heard it running it looked as though it was straight out of the Honda factory with the attention to detail Joe carried out to the machine.cheers Mel 1876
:flags-usa: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Last edited by cbxmel on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Love that single cam there, IVI!

Gotta ask about the brakes. I know on the SOHC4 forums that the topic of brake conversion comes up repeatedly and converting to rear disc, etc for project bikes. Are you active there or have more info on the front/rear mod? I have seen F swaps and that gets talked about all the time and i got EBC's on my bike for rotors, but those brembo's! :pray:

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”