Part gurus for the CBX?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Non fle-bay part gurus for the CBX?

Post by daves79x »

Back in the day when we really ran the crap out of these things, 70-75 psi in the rear shock was common. Never saw a seal failure due to that, but these are now 30-plus years old, so your results may vary. But really, there are a lot of testimonials here of the virtues of replacing the rear shock. It absolutely transforms the bike.

Dave

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Oh, I fully appreciate the virtues of modern equipment on an old bike. My 82 nighthawk only looks old in the handling and braking department, it is all brand new performance stuff. But that is because that stuff needed service. In the end, the money to bring a stock and original CBX up to modern standards isn't worth it in my books. I actually prefer the little nuances of the old tech. Might ruffle feathers with this, but with myself, and friends of mine collecting Hondas of the era, I completely understand why the CBX wasn't a success at the time. If it was 1982 and I was buying a new Honda, I probably wouldn't have gotten one back then XD

But I appreciate history, and charm of classics. The CBX is what got me into motorcycling. Not cause of the sound, or performance, but the elegance of it's engineering (in the prolinks, sorry 79/80). The black scrapes on case are from before I got it. Water spots, well, there was a puddle nearby when it fell...

The one I have had some rough spots from previous owners, but I like them the way they are, and honestly, enhancing or modifying will detract my appreciation of this particular one. Now, if this one had repainted parts, damage, etc before I got it, I wouldn't hesitate to mod. Doing research, I can probably get the seal from some source for Honda. If not, then there should not be "too much" a problem getting through SKF or other major seal manufacturer.

On the current topic, this discussion is making me hesitant to do the cases, etc for it. I took pics, but didn't have my good camera handy and used phone. Woo quality. Might retake em. Scrapes etc not showing well. I am thinking I will keep the current cases, signal housing and crash bars. While the bar is dented, scuffs on the front signal housing and the side case scraped, I cannot bring myself to replace the original equipment. The mirror itself, main mount is fine. It just busted the outer plastic housing. Didn't even break the glass. The ball socket is intact so I can just unthread the socket, and re-assemble. The rear signal light, that is scuffs before I got it.

Though big hassle is with the weather changeover, I cannot seem to find a new helmet which essentially tool ALL the impact. Going to have to order a new one probably. Side case will bother me, so when it gets to me too much, might find replacement.

On topic of lean, here is a pic of it parked. Rear sits fine, it is only if the front is loaded that it straightens up.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Those signals are plentiful and they came on other bikes of the era also. Are you saying you have a problem replacing your original parts with other original parts? If that's the case, not much you can do. But you should find lots of mint signals out there and the original crash guard half shouldn't be too hard to find either. The reflector might still be available from Honda. I'd have the bag lid painted - several painters match exactly. I'd go to Louis for the crash guard and mirror. Apart from the painting, you might have $500-$700 in parts. Not outrageous in today's world.

Dave

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

daves79x wrote:Those signals are plentiful and they came on other bikes of the era also. Are you saying you have a problem replacing your original parts with other original parts? If that's the case, not much you can do. But you should find lots of mint signals out there and the original crash guard half shouldn't be too hard to find either. The reflector might still be available from Honda. I'd have the bag lid painted - several painters match exactly. I'd go to Louis for the crash guard and mirror. Apart from the painting, you might have $500-$700 in parts. Not outrageous in today's world.

Dave
Yuppers, that is actually less than I estimated. For the side case, would have to be an original paint one if I replace it. I was thinking that about the signal light since I know lots of parts on these pro-links seem to share with other bikes in terms of the cases and non style/performance bits. That goes back to my Nighthawk again. There is more invested into that than total investment (including purchase) for the CBX.

I am a bit of a sentimental goat though. Logic and me don't apply when it comes to my vehicles! In terms of matching paint, I guess it depends on your color sensitivity. My vision is sort of a double edged sword. I have excellent vision, and above average color sensitivity but am light sensitive (which is why I cannot get a replacement helmet. Internal sun visor manditory pretty much) While 99% of population wouldn't notice, I do not know any painter in the world that could exactly match that pearl white. Even if they used the exact same paint, it wouldn't cure the same.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

RJ CB650 wrote:[ While 99% of population wouldn't notice, I do not know any painter in the world that could exactly match that pearl white. Even if they used the exact same paint, it wouldn't cure the same.
There are definitely painters who get right on the spot. Let's not forget, there are people out there who take pride in their job, not the usual Earl Scheib approach.
Of course, with a paint job that is 30 years old, you will not get the same color as it was when new. But paint technology today enables painters to analyze and mix a paint that will match what you have exactly. The white on your bike will not be that difficult to hit. Reds are generally the most difficult to match. I would bet, if you hold your bag close to the fairing, the colors will not be the same, just because the aged differently.
A good painter will always work with you and spray a few samples and you can pick what your discerning eye approves of.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

EMS wrote:
RJ CB650 wrote:[ While 99% of population wouldn't notice, I do not know any painter in the world that could exactly match that pearl white. Even if they used the exact same paint, it wouldn't cure the same.
There are definitely painters who get right on the spot. Let's not forget, there are people out there who take pride in their job, not the usual Earl Scheib approach.
Of course, with a paint job that is 30 years old, you will not get the same color as it was when new. But paint technology today enables painters to analyze and mix a paint that will match what you have exactly. The white on your bike will not be that difficult to hit. Reds are generally the most difficult to match. I would bet, if you hold your bag close to the fairing, the colors will not be the same, just because the aged differently.
A good painter will always work with you and spray a few samples and you can pick what your discerning eye approves of.
" Of course, with a paint job that is 30 years old, you will not get the same color as it was when new"

And in that lies the issue :D Also, it isn't "white" but a metallic pearl which is incredibly tough to match. From previous work I have had done, even from the same spray gun and using the same paint, pearls and metallics are difficult to match exactly to the point of near impossible. Any variation in the glass particles, flake, thicknesses of layer, and even how it cures will all affect appearance. Sure they could get the color, but without using the same paint process in the same environment as Honda used 30 years ago, it wouldn't match. Any top quality painter would say as such as well.

Repainted case, not a chance. If I got a replacement, and it wasn't original paint, they would get more than a piece of my mind.

Edit: Side note, I went by the dealer here to see about new lenses for the signal light. They were available, problem solved there. But I decided to check for fun about that rear shock seal. Turns out they had one in stock :face:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Part gurus for the CBX?

Post by daves79x »

Finding a rear shock seal might be a curse after you find out the torturous process to rebuild it. Again, worth it if you actually had a shock when you were all done, but you won't.

Mike is right, a good painter can match your bag exactly. And he is also right that your tank does not match your fairing which does not match your bags exactly, etc.

And cuss me out for this one if you want, but it seems that you actually ride this bike some and plan to in the future? If so, all these gyrations over originality do not mean a lot. Now if it was going to be a 100 point bike that you were only going to show or put in a museum, then I'd understand. And I'm as picky about originality as they come (or apparently as most of them come). If I had the bike here for the Winter and fixed everything you need fixed and gave it back in the Spring, you'd never know where or what was damaged. I don't want to, but point is it can be done.

One final comment: I'd be willing to bet Louis has an NOS bag or maybe even an NOS lid, and NOS everything else you need, as I said before. But you say even that won't match close enough. Well, not much else we can do to help you then, except share your pain in dealing with this self-imposed conundrum.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Just to add a couple general comments for newer owners regarding some things in this thread: The 130/90 tire will raise the rear axle approx .62 inch/16mm higher than the 130/80. (That's a 'lot'.) Be certain to never park on the sidestand on any 'down-hill' slope -- even in gear. Also, watch the road camber so the pavement isn't higher at the sidestand than it is at the tire. The prolink (and perhaps the early models) is sensitive to these; even with the correct tire sizes.

For a 'real' rear shock, try the Progressive 365. It does make a difference.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Oh, no where near museum or show. I ride it, and it gets dirty. Bike isn't in showroom condition as it is. Can see the scuffs, etc. Is sort of how I like it and why I actually avoid 100% mint vehicles. Too much stress, and then I cannot actually enjoy it. But I still take great care of all my vehicles, so something like this bothers me to no end. However not an all weather or high miler either. Equal to a sunny weather/sunday cruiser.

"But you say even that won't match close enough." Never meant to imply that, sorry. Personally, I would prefer not NOS. That is actually too good if that makes sense. Essentially the ideal part is original paint, but still used. What is on the bike has scuffs, minor dings, chips and oxidization. The usual for a 30 year old bike. But something fresh painted would stick out unless I did the whole thing. Same with NOS, would look TOO good. Is why I took out the "fleabay" in the title, pretty much is what/where I would need to go. Something original paint, but doesn't have to be perfect. Just original.

Self Imposed conundrum is a good call! Finding what I like typically means bad fortune on somebody else or it means a good one was parted. I guess that goes back to the start. Seems I got some good leads now for the side case and mirror. Mirror is no biggie, pretty basic part that will either be serviceable to a good condition, or just no good in general. Since signal lenses and parts are still available Honda, that is no issue. New lenses, problem solved. If left does not match right for fade, then for the price, can easily get two more for left side.

The engine guard, will re-inspect. Biggest concern will be rust, but looking around, won't be an issue.

Just that side case.... grrr.... darn me and my love of patina!!!
Larry Zimmer wrote:For a 'real' rear shock, try the Progressive 365. It does make a difference.
That rear shock, it is something that is definitely a wait and see. The 365 I had been looking at for the replacement prior to this thread if was beyond feasable to rebuild the rear. Will rebuild the shock early winter. Barring wear in the piston or other irreplaceable components, I do not see an issue in that. Maybe cause of my other bikes, I look at the cbx different, but for me, it is the front end that seems to be the poor spot in suspension. Combination of front heavy, flex and the springs. Even after rebuild, they still seem a bit soft compared to my other Hondas. Rear is controlled and planted. There does seem to be some softness in it, but I suspect that is more to do with being over thirty years old. If I assemble it, and find it still off, maybe then will swap.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

OK - I think that clarifies your thoughts on what you want for replacement parts and why you want them that way. Shouldn't be impossible to find a good used bag or lid. Give Louis a shout on the crash bar half - I'm sure he has one to sell. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Dave

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”