What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by cross »

Been there!
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:Well. Got the carbs in and hooked up the Wyle way and ........wait for it.....

Today I get to undo my weekends work because I hooked up the thottle cables backwards. :roll:
stupid mouse :sad-roulette:
there's no one here who hasn't done something wrong and done a palm head slap afterward :doh: ...mistakes are our best teacher, you rarely do them twice...okay I have :oops: but I don't want to go there :D ...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Rumor has it, you're not the first....... :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Mouse wrote:Today I get to undo my weekends work because I hooked up the thottle cables backwards. :roll:
stupid mouse :sad-roulette:
Haha, at least you'll get good at that new technique! :lol:

Yesterday I had a big milestone - I moved the CBX 3 feet to the right to get it out of the way of the Ducati, which came out of storage. Then I left it sitting there while I got my jollies with the sessy Italian machine. I've gotta say: my heart belongs to the CBX, but the Monster is a sweet little peach of a bike!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Rick Pope wrote:Rumor has it, you're not the first....... :o
Not installed backwards but not completely seated when installed.
Even worse, i was selling the bike and had not started it to show the potential buyer how well it started from cold.
He drove 2 hours to see it and when i twisted the grip....shesa a no-go. Lost that sale. haha.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Rick Pope wrote:Rumor has it, you're not the first....... :o
Not installed backwards but not completely seated when installed.
Even worse, i was selling the bike and had not started it to show the potential buyer how well it started from cold.
He drove 2 hours to see it and when i twisted the grip....shesa a no-go. Lost that sale. haha.
The buyer probably regrets that now.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Practice makes better.
1 hour to jack engine,undo bolts, tilt engine, pull carbs, unhook cables, rehook rear cable, test throttle, rehook front cable, test throttle, hook choke cable, reseat carbs, tilt engine, install bolts and remove jack.
I was quite impressed with myself until I saw that the cyl 1 and 2 carb to air plenum boots were not lined up quite right so ....
Now I have a new tool.
$7 - 6" small blade screw driver with 1/2" of blade end bent 90 degree's. That allowed me to slide the blade in between the boot and the carb mouth and then carefully slide it around the bottom of the carb mouth thus seating the boots properly. :-)
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

fuel issues with my GS, seems to be using way to much fuel! or maybe not :think: ...went for a ride with a full tank seemingly ran out of gas after 50km :shock: :? switched to reserve and got home...

so today spent the afternoon checking the plugs,good...checked carbs for leaks,none...pulled the gas tank cleaned the petcock, sending unit, flushed the tank ...there was some scale cluttered around the base of the petcock and in the tank maybe the scale plugged the petcock screen which caused the "ran out of gas" situation.

sending unit never did indicate the true amount of gas in the tank so I took some emery cloth to the face and contact point to try correct the problem, if not it's okay i'll just keep track of the kms like on the cbx.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Took my 79 for a lil 100+ mile ride on some nice empty two lanes in the Sierra foothills. Turned over 67,000 miles. Anyone else ride?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Snugged up the rear tire and chain, changed the oil and filter, reinstalled the exhaust and put new gas in the tank. Double checked my previous work then gave it a try.
Fired right up. :D

For those who missed my last post, I've...

Removed the K&N air intake pods
Re-jeted the carbs back to stock jets
Installed the original air intake system
Replaced the Stainless Supertrapp 6 into 2 exhaust with a Stainless Moto GPwerks 6 into 1 exhaust.

It was a bit smokey to start with and I got a bit worried but once it got some heat into it that all cleared up. I must say the GPwerks exhaust sounds awesome but I do have a bit of after run crackle and a it will backfire so I think I need to lean it out a little. Have not ridden it yet because while I was reseting the rear tire tension I realized the chain now rubs the center stand so I have to come up with a way to fix that. I'm thinking of fab-ing a rod that bolts to the back of the rear foot peg mount and props the stand down to clear the chain

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote: Have not ridden it yet because while I was reseting the rear tire tension I realized the chain now rubs the center stand so I have to come up with a way to fix that. I'm thinking of fab-ing a rod that bolts to the back of the rear foot peg mount and props the stand down to clear the chain
I think your problem comes from the new exhaust not the chain tension...my center stand hits the chain too until I put the exhaust back on, there's a rubber stop on the exhaust that meets the center stand stop to prevent it from hitting the chain.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Mouse wrote:Replaced the Stainless Supertrapp 6 into 2 exhaust with a Stainless Moto GPwerks 6 into 1 exhaust.
Whoa! Did you post pics somewhere that I missed? Did you buy it new? I thought he wouldn't ship to Canada.

EDIT: I found the pics in the group buy thread. Along with the other drama and insanity for which this builder has made himself known over the years. They look beautiful, I hope that the fitment was good.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Exhaust Fit was not bad. It did take a few tweaks :D with a rubber hammer. It will have to come back off as there is a leak at cyl 4/5. New crush gaskets on order as well as a tuning remote fuel bottle so that I can reset carb mixture settings and check sync while bike is running. Fab'd a rough and ready center stand prop for now and will have a welder friend make a nicer one soon. The only drama I had with the builder was the shipping quote which would of doubled the cost of the unit but he found a way to ship the set to me 2/3rd's cheaper (whew).

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Took it for a spin.
Bunch of small things conspired against riding but finally got out today for first real ride of the season.
A late Spring means late blossoms. Tulips along the Niagara Parkway in Queenston.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Beautiful photos of a beautiful CBX !!
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”