What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by wyly »

foam done, I was intending to get a smooth transition from tail cowl to seat, cowl isn't bolted to seat in the picture but I think I've made as clean as I possible can...when the covering is installed and pulled tight it should compress the soft foam in back sufficiently...so far about $100 cdn($75 US) spent including the new seat pan...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Finally got Cybil running again last week after 2 years of being off the road, giving her a HUGE "no effort spared" clean and detail after my friend Brent (Captain on the 1100 site) and I rode 5,700 trouble free kms around Tasmania on this and me on my trusty '07 Suzuki DL650 Wee Strom (now sold and replaced with a spanking new MY17 Triumph Tiger 800 XRT - my motorcycling Nirvana has finally been found - but I digress).

New goodies fitted included genuine Keihin carburettor float needle valves, alternator brushes and a set of viton carb insulator blocks. I think she is now almost back to her former glory.

Synched carbs.

Made up individual carb float bowl drain hoses. Pretty happy with this setup.

Rebuilt front and rear calipers, thanks to JR (CB-Xtra) on here for great service supplying caliper pistons and seals. Both brake levers now MUCH better than before.

New rider footrest rubbers on both sides, courtesy of Six Centre Motoren. Had these in my 'I'm gonna fit these one day' stash box of parts for a few years. Very appreciative of my friend (another Tony) for his assistance.

Pretty happy with the way she's come back to life.

Valve clearances all set to .013 mm and cam chains adjusted. Oil & filter change, oil pan off and clean strainer and pan. Tidied up wiring to coils, painted rocker cover and alternator cover.

Was real happy when she lit up almost first press of the starter and sat there just purring like a well fed happy kitten, with no oil leaks and charging with 14.5 volts. Happy Days!

Thinking about changing out the clutch damper rubbers, but with carbs synched well, she is really very, very quiet.

And just because I can, over the holiday break, I am going to do an exercise on the ignition which I have pondered for some time.

My two points of "ponderation" are:

a) "How closely does the 'F' mark on the crankshaft put the ignition in the correct static timing point?" I'll need to find out what the static timing is in no' of degrees BTDC. Manual says 23.5 degrees @2,500 rpm and 31 degrees @ 8,000 rpm.

b) "How accurately does the static timing trigger point on cylinders 2-5 and 3-4 match that of cylinders 1-6 in relation to no' of degrees BTDC?"

Cyls 1-6 are the pair used to set the timing with statically by lining the trigger on the advancer with the 'F' mark on the RH end of the crankshaft. OK so far.

I have a positive piston stop, a degree wheel and will make up a test light to go between the feed from the igniters at back of the coils and earth. So I can measure the no. of degrees on 1-6 and note it down. Then do the same for the coil that fires cyls 2-5 and then again for the one that fires 3-4.

If they are out, it may be necessary to make some minor adjustments of the 2-5 and 3-4 pulser units. I'm hoping this may be achieved by GENTLY filing the mounting holes on the backing plates slightly.

The goal will be to have the 2-5 and 3-4 pulser units trigger their coil at exactly the same no. of degrees BTDC as 1-6. My line of thinking is that it may add to the smoothness of these engines and also (maybe) further quieten the engine down (not that mine is even slightly bad).

Then again, perhaps I just have too much time on my hands and should get out and ride more. But inquiring minds need to know...

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Tony!

So great to have you back posting here.

At the risk of oversimplifying things, couldn’t you just index #1 as you describe and then set the other two at 120 degree intervals at the pulsers using a degree wheel?

P.S. Anything worth thinking about is worth overthinking about in my book :-).
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

Took a look at them and covered them back up

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Thanks for your kind words NIls, and I came to the same "set to 120 degrees from the 1-6 pulser" thought as you during one of those 'zero dark 30' toss and turn, can't get back to sleep periods that are all too common these daze...

I'll have a poke around on it this weekend if I am lucky.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

did a basic check of all the work I did over the winter, everything is tight and torqued, added balance beads to the tires...turn on fuel, choke and the beast fired up first time :D ...chipped away the ice at the bottom of the driveway and I'm going riding tomorrow :D :D
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Little late reading this one. Comment about your valve settings, herdy-- did you really set them at .013mm??? That is TIGHT! (0.0005 inch!) Did I read something wrong? From you 08 Dec 2018 post.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Little late reading this one. Comment about your valve settings, herdy-- did you really set them at .013mm??? That is TIGHT! (0.0005 inch!) Did I read something wrong? From you 08 Dec 2018 post.
Think that's a typo. Anyway would be incredibly difficult to achieve.

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Could be. Hopefully, it was meant to be 0.130 mm
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Oops! Sorry folks typo' - or 'senior's moment'! I did set them to 0.13 mm. TBH I am a bit OCD about setting them to the widest end of the range. This in order to keep the valve train alive and well and help the exhaust valves in particular run cooler (compared to when set tight).

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I'm with you on that. Same clearance target, here. Same reason. [VERY familiar with those 'senior moment things, here! I said something just because I wanted to be certain you didn't mean it.] Hope y'all had a great Summer.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

This wasn't today, but it's something I've been meaning to do and share for a long time.

Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Not a single car alarm went off....amateur! lol.
Assuming this was a Christmas present to yourself or at least the dead of winter?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

There are no car alarms in Hawkesville. :lol:

January birthday present to myself. The cousin who's storing it along with his VFR actually shares a birthday with me so we goofed around in the shop before grabbing a birthday dinner. :)
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

NWI_Ken
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by NWI_Ken »

Drained oil again and pulled filter. Might need the oil tested or I might be just seeing different additives. The K&N filter had to be pried off the center bolt. I was reading about this problem on the forum a few minutes ago. Pulled the plugs. One hole I know needs to be re-threaded. Surprisingly found number 3 plug fouled, it appears for a long time. This bike I bought 2 years ago as a rolling basket. The previous owner bought it this way from a widow. Unknown history for how long it might have sat. Bike has been running for 2 to 3 months now and up until recently it had the pfft sound coming out the exhaust probably from a low compression condition. Maybe a stuck valve that finally decided to work. Today I also poured some Kroil into the cylinders to help with any collapsed rings that haven't released yet. The bike when dead cold is hard starting, it fires but takes awhile to really take off faster than the starter can roll it. When running and you grab a handful, the bike doesn't miss a beat and just laughs, how fast do you want to go. Surprised about number 3 plug, never would have guess it had one fouled. Someday it will run as it should. Cant wait.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”