What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
sasquash
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by sasquash »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote: Was it a shortish, Spanish fellow?
If so he has the Valkyrie, just sold a Hayabusa, ZX14 and also owned a Triumph Rocket 3. A hooligan of the highest order.
Funny, that was my go-to gas station as well.
Yes, I would believe it is the same person though I was guessing he was Eastern European.

His name is Rubin (truly the name of a hooligan).
6ix-78-9

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

before changing my valve shims I did a leak down test on #1 , less than 10% which is okay...then I went ahead and adjusted all the shims before doing tests on the other cylinders...2, 5, and 6 came in at 95-100% ...#3 came in at 80% not good but maybe a long freeway blast could clean out some carbon....pot 4 came in at miserable 10%!, I had the headers off and I could hear and feel the air rushing out the exhaust ports of :(

obviously disheartened by the results particularly with number 4, I'm mulling over my options, put it all back together and hope a long high speed run clears it out or remove the head...I'm skeptical any amount of hard riding will improve number 4...

and to make my week even worse my alternate ride (GS1150ef) has developed a charging issue that I haven't solved as yet :? ...if I was able to work I'd be tempted to buy that R1200R I took out on demo day...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I knew there was an issue with pot 4...yesterday I went for a short ride, after some mild acceleration there a sudden drop in power then a surge followed by strong a vibrations something was up! I turned around and limped home...this morning I tore down the top end, metal shavings in inlet to four wasn't a good omen...cylinder head of pot four is mangled, piston has more holes than a sieve, taking off the cylinder I found the rod to number 4 is gone...small hole in upper engine case behind pot 4, rod of course... :( ...

I'll continue stripping it down to see how much can be salvaged and rebuild in the fall... called my tech told what I found so far he says the cylinder sounds salvageable and possible the engine case ...need to find a new cylinder head....not a happy day...

for the remainder of the summer I'll be riding the GS...as soon as my new stator and R/R arrive :sad-pacing:
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

at did you do to your bike today?

Post by wyly »

was planning on posting in the new picture thread but theses aren't worthy :(
cylinder salvageable with a new sleeve?

no saving this...the missing valve is the one that failed a leak down test and ended up doing the all the damage7277

you can see a small tear in the center of photo, my tech thinks it's repairable with an industrial metal/epoxy
looking inside the lower case,it looks like minimal damage, rod snapped below crank height so other then the initial small hole there doesn't appear to be extensive damage.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

That really sucks wyly :-(
The cylinder can be resleeved. I also think you can weld or use some
Devcon X to repair the upper case. The head is scrap. Do you have an
address on the USA side of the border?
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I've got a nephew in Phoenix, nothing close to the border.

parts list so far
-sleeve
-wiseco piston, overbore 1150
-set of rings
-wrist pin looks ok but why take a chance
-at least two buckets
-rod
-2 intake valves
-2 exhaust
-might as well do all the valve seals again, seals
-maybe exhaust cam, tech will have to look at it first

am I still under a $100 :laughing-rolling:

I haven't even opened the bottom end yet :?

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

You forgot to list the head :-)
It could be an issue to find a single Wiseco piston too although I think
one for a CB900 will work. I am just trying to figure out if I can be of
any help from 1200 miles away as the crow flies. Were you planning a trip to Phoenix anytime soon ??
Best,
Phil

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Yeah forgot the head...I'm still a bit shell shocked by my findings today...

a cbx buddy here has two parts bikes a 79 and a 81, he doesn't know the condition of either
There's a cbx hoard not far 40mins away and he has a head, again I don't know its condition or whether he's in a selling mood on any given day. $12,000 was his last price, comes with two extra engines two frames and three complete Cbx's :lol:

Phoenix is an option, nephew says I can come down for a visit anytime and take a dip in his pool.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Bring your ice bucket, it is 109 in Phoenix right now :-).
Sounds like you have opportunities closer to home (a good thing).
Let me know if you get stuck. Also, Devcon X should be ideal
for your upper case repair.
Best,
Phil

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Well that just stinks, wyly.
Hopefully the in-coming parts for the GS will have you riding shortly.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Ouch Wyly, that really hurts! What on earth did the merry dance on top of the piston for so long? Did it drop a valve seat?

At least the cases MAY be salvageable, so that's kind of a saving right there....

We feel for you buddy.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

herdygerdy wrote:Ouch Wyly, that really hurts! What on earth did the merry dance on top of the piston for so long? Did it drop a valve seat?

At least the cases MAY be salvageable, so that's kind of a saving right there....

We feel for you buddy.
valve and valve stem was all that was recognizable, the rest were shavings...In all the stories of broken rods I anticipated the bike would come to a dead halt when that happened but no it limped 3kms home on five pots! :o
I certainly didn't expect expect to see a broken rod when I took off the head...

cases was my biggest fear, maybe it's silly but I wanted to save the manufacturing date stamped on the back so that it's till my original engine...

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Dropped a valve first, then the rod ??
The leak down test says valve first I would think.
Best,
Phil

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

FalldownPhil wrote:Dropped a valve first, then the rod ??
The leak down test says valve first I would think.
Best,
Phil
that's my guess too Phil
after the leak down test my first thought was to tear take of the head and see what was up but then I second guessed myself and thought I might ride out the summer and do it in the winter ...I've no idea why the valve would drop :?

most difficult part source the single piston is solved...the serial number matches that of a Wiseco overbore for a cb900...good call Phil...I found two different sources for a single piston...

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just catching up on all this. Sorry for your misfortune! I'm not so sure what happened. You might have lost a rod bearing to the point that the piston began contacting the valves, then cascaded from there. If you find the big-end rod bearing spun and very thin, then that's likely what happened. Should have been a bit noisy when that all started. The parts you need are plentiful, just getting expensive. If I can help with a rod or anything else except the head (have several boat anchors here too). The #4 rod journal on the crank is likely toast too. Keep us posted.

Dave

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”