What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by daves79x »

Just MHO, but I think the blue tank looks great with the Candy Glory Red striping.

Dave

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

daves79x wrote:Just MHO, but I think the blue tank looks great with the Candy Glory Red striping.
I'm with you on this. There's red on the "Supersport" part of the tank badge, and on the "X" - a bit in the stripe looks cool and kind of ties things together, IMO.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

daves79x wrote:Just MHO, but I think the blue tank looks great with the Candy Glory Red striping.

Dave
here's the lower gold and orange stripes from a Glory Red kit and a blue similar to my Signal Blue
it does look good hence my problem
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:

Dave
here's the lower gold and orange stripes from a Glory Red kit and a blue similar to my Signal Blue
it does look good hence my problem
I definitely like how it matches the bits of red in the other trim. But there's no question silver would look good, too.

In a case like this where you feel like there's no obviously right answer, that means there's no obviously wrong answer - you can't lose here! :lol:
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
I'm with you on this. There's red on the "Supersport" part of the tank badge, and on the "X" - a bit in the stripe looks cool and kind of ties things together, IMO.
there's an optical color illusion going on here...there isn't a red in the decal kits...the black, red and silver all have orange in the decals...the only differences between the 79 silver and 79 red or black is the lower stripes...on the 79 silver only the lower stripes are orange/black the top stripes are orange gold, the red and black models all the stripes are orange/gold...even when the two kits are side by side they look like red and orange, not until you overlay them can you see they are both orange...then there is a slight change in the colors tone when they're applied, the paint color underneath affects the orange or redish appearance...

anyways tallying up opinions so far I have you, Dave and a daughter liking the Glory red kit...the mrs, my son and another daughter like the Perseus kit...3-3 :? :think:
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote: I definitely like how it matches the bits of red in the other trim. But there's no question silver would look good, too.

In a case like this where you feel like there's no obviously right answer, that means there's no obviously wrong answer - you can't lose here! :lol:
yeah I can't really go wrong here which is why it's difficult making the decision..

if I go with the Glory Red kit there's the bonus of restoring my Perseus cowls stripes a saving of $50+...but the money is a minor consideration at this point...I'd need to make sure the previously removed G/R cowl stripes are still viable...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

G/R cowl stripes are good to go...but I still haven't made a decision :doh: :roll:
both color combinations look good, this shouldn't be an issue it would be an easy call if the bike belonged to someone else ...but it's mine so I second guess myself endlessly :think:

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

:think:
Stripe one side Candy Glory red and the other side Persus Silver.
There, problem solved
:laughing-rolling:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

decision made, glory red...

the choice was obvious, I still didn't know for sure if the glory red decals were viable and the only way to do that was apply them ... and the mrs switched her vote to glory red.

I applied a little Scotch spray mount glue on back side to help it stick then I molded them the cowl with a hair dryer ...I checked them today and they're on solid...tonight I'll put on the tank decals...let it all dry for a couple days and then clear coat.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

glory red decals done!...I was worried about applying the long bottom stripes but with a little soapy water I got through it...I thought once I quickly got by the first one the 2nd would be a snap...but no, the 2nd side is more difficult...difficult because I needed to copy layout of the 1st side, the 1st needed only come reasonably close to the oem tank... it took about 8 attempts until I considered it close enough ...if anyone spots a millimeter or two difference they need to back up...now I give two days to dry then 5 clear coats and wet sand/polish

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

well that didn't go well :( :shock:
preparing for clear coat I thought I'd do tiny paint touch up on the bottom of the tank first...I put soft drop cloth on my work bench and put the tank on it's side, unfortunately I didn't notice a paper towel that I'd been using for cleaning the paint surface was on the drop cloth...the cleaning product on the towel is a commercial body shop product very mild and fast evaporating, unless you leave it soaking in a towel and put a painted surface on top of it :oops:

I wet sanded the damage taking it down to the primer, put two black base coats on then three blue coats...removing the masking tape from the decals one of the decals partial peals off with the tape :doh: :sad-roulette: a little scotch contact spray and that's back on...

I can still see a very faint out line of where the paint came off, I should've put some high build primer on first...I could sand it back and do it again but I'm now short of the blue base coat too... now I'm debating whether to go ahead and shoot the clear coat or start over...

not a good day :violin: :( tomorrow maybe better . Can't possibly get worse :lol:

Edit: oh hell I couldn't wait until tomorrow, I won't sleep until I fix it(or really mess it up)...visited a few auto-body sites and youtube came up with a new approach and SUCCESS! blemish gone ready for clear coat tomorrow :D

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

We all feel your pain and frustration wyly, you remind me of someone, (me) I can't tell you how many times I couldn't leave well enough alone and would be bothered by something no one else would probably even notice but it will drive me crazy if I didn't try to repair it, and usually the repair turns to a complete redo. Glad you were able to save it this time. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly, to tell you something that you already know very well: it's Feb in Calgary - I expect that if you take the time to do it over again you'll still be waiting for riding weather when it's done. I expect you'll be happier to have it right and then chuckle at the long road to perfection when you look at it, rather than feel frustration when you look at it and see a flaw that you almost took the time to fix.

Also, I wish you'd split these detailed updates into a build thread of your own. I like seeing all of these updates, and it would be nice to be able to find them in one place instead of scattered through this mega thread.

As for what I did to my bike today - nothing. But this weekend I went and fetched some cams for it and I saw the engine assembled and in the bike, which is up on a lift. It's been so long that it felt kind of surreal seeing it looking like a bike again! I didn't ride it at all in 2016, and less than 1000km in 2015. The idea of being able to get on that machine and just enjoy it is feeling like a dream!
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:We all feel your pain and frustration wyly, you remind me of someone, (me) I can't tell you how many times I couldn't leave well enough alone and would be bothered by something no one else would probably even notice but it will drive me crazy if I didn't try to repair it, and usually the repair turns to a complete redo. Glad you were able to save it this time. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
sometimes I need to step back and take in the big picture, I'm not a pro and so maybe a level less than perfect is ok...I don't have the proper equipment and I'm doing it on a small budget as possible maybe I should be content it's turning as good as it is...the thing is I know it can be better so it bothers me when it's not...

the good thing about making mistakes, I'm learning from them...
Syscrush wrote: to tell you something that you already know very well: it's Feb in Calgary - I expect that if you take the time to do it over again you'll still be waiting for riding weather when it's done.
normally I'd agree but time isn't on my side this time, I'm having knee surgery next week, the first of two and potentially four procedures, getting things wrapped up this week is important...
Syscrush wrote: Also, I wish you'd split these detailed updates into a build thread of your own. I like seeing all of these updates, and it would be nice to be able to find them in one place instead of scattered through this mega thread.
yeah I was thinking the same thing but I didn't expect the process to be so long, still it qualifies to be in What did you do to your bike today? thread...nearing the end of the procedure so not much point moving it now, if I begin another project I'll start a dedicated thread...
Last edited by wyly on Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Wyly,

How about, during your recovery, compiling your CBX build into an article for the CBXPress? It's a story that deserves to be seen by more than just the few folks here.

And that goes for the others who've contributed to this thread as well. There have been some remarkable projects undertaken, and finished.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”