What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by Mello »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote: I like the front disc brake on the 1918 Harley.
Apparently Harley was pretty innovative with the early designs :laughing-rolling: I guess they fitted it for a bit of safety on these sorts of runs. I believe the owner of that bike was recently offered an obscene amount of money for it by a private collector in the US.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

When the Cannon Ball Baker Memorial run was held last summer, I went to one of their lunch stops and checked out the bikes, all 1916 or older. Most were fitted with modern (beaded) wheels/tires, and a front brake.

Beaded tires didn't become popular until 1928. Before that, they used "clincher" rims and tires. I have them on a 1927 bike, with no front brake. Exciting times going down hills. :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I dropped off some metric coupling bolts that will be adapted for use on the exhaust, and helped my mechanic troubleshoot a bit of the gauge wiring (which has now been worked on by 3 separate people - not including me). We also experimented a bit and determined that a stupid "inverter" (I expect it's a DC-DC converter of some sort) provided by the gauge manufacturer to drive the lighting is defective. :evil:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

tail cowl repaired, fairing re-secured, battery charged, my GS1150 is all ready to roll ... the ice on my street is finally gone, temps for tomorrow 13c :D ...most likely it'll be a short ride I'm still hobbled by knee surgery last month and I'm not at all sure I trust it to hold me up :?

I'm taking my newly painted cbx tank to a pin stripper ...when I damaged the color coat and repainted the tank I had masked off the pin stripe, in a few places the over spray crept had under the masking tape and the edges weren't sharp...I was annoyed but I could overlook the tiny spots of over spray...one small spot really annoyed me however, it was away from the edge of the stipe, so planned to carefully wet sand it out and then re-shoot the clear ...but when I sanded it, it got bigger :shock: it wasn't over spray... the masking tape had a torn a tiny piece of decal off :sad-roulette: it was the blue color coat underneath the decal that I was seeing :doh:

I found a pin stripper who says it shouldn't be a problem to fix :D ...another lesson learned...but as a bonus I found a pinstripe guy for my next paint job...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Pinstripes can transform the look of the bike. Here's one of the ultra rare yellow '79s:

Image Image
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Rick,
As I am sure you have heard before, that is one beautiful CBX !!
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Rick Pope wrote:Pinstripes can transform the look of the bike. Here's one of the ultra rare yellow '79s:
price wise I've discovered it should be comparable to decal kit...so unless I'm aiming for a factory reproduction a locally applied stripping will be my next choice...

here's another 79 canary...my camera didn't capture it's true yellow
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Rick Pope wrote:Pinstripes can transform the look of the bike. Here's one of the ultra rare yellow '79s:
We all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine! There's a reason those yellow CBXes are so rare.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

FalldownPhil wrote:Rick,
Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil. I am a sucker for yellow. The mid stripe is the color of a truck I had at the time, and the yellow/stripes were the colors with which the truck was striped.
Rick Pope

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Rick Pope wrote:
FalldownPhil wrote:Rick,
Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil. I am a sucker for yellow. The mid stripe is the color of a truck I had at the time, and the yellow/stripes were the colors with which the truck was striped.
Rick how long has it been since you painted the 79 yellow, was that originally your silver 79?

I still have my Shoei FM3 fairing also, tucked away in the shop rafters.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Rick.
Is that the factory optional reversing alarm I see by the left hand controls? :D
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Jeff,
I painted it the summer of '05, just before the C2C. I may have another FM2 floating around. Did you notice how I mounted it?

That's my original CBX, the one Susan got me for Christmas. Yes, it was originally silver, then black, now yellow. I had another silver one that made it to several rallies, it went to France. I now have another very low mile silver one.

Mouse,
If you are ever with me on a ride, you'll see that is actually an "ice cream alarm". When it dings, it's time for ice cream. ;-)
Rick Pope

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

first ride of the year! I intended to only go for a 1/2 hr but it turned into two :D ... more than a few speed restrictions may have been inadvertently broken :?

new mechanical problem popped up on the GS I don't know yet if the Z will have the same issue...Dr gave my some fancy hardware for my knee and besides hooking onto the GS fairing it's preventing me from getting my foot on the rear brake...tomorrows task, attempt to adjust rear brake and/or seating position to accommodate wonky leg...

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Rick Pope wrote:Jeff,
I painted it the summer of '05, just before the C2C. I may have another FM2 floating around. Did you notice how I mounted it?
As soon as I saw your handle bar conversion I thought back to how I mounted mine and knew you had to have done something different, I just didn't remember what until seeing your bike again. Buckminster Fuller would be proud of you!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

What did you have done to your knee?

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”