What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Some good started clutch info here.
viewtopic.php?t=5186

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

My starter clutch dislikes thick oil. It likes 10W-40 or 5W-40. It absolutely hates 20W-50.
Al

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

Hi
Went with my nephew to the Classic Car and Bike Show with time trials last Saturday in Geelong, Victoria ,Australia. He rode my FXR while I rode my X. Amazing how these things draw attention. Without being arrogant or egotistical kind of feels good to have something that is so appreciated. Within minutes of parking I had people out with cameras.
People ask me what's it like and I occasionally tell them I couldn't get the wife to come so I brought my X!
Michael
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Michael Vidovic wrote:Hi
Went with my nephew to the Classic Car and Bike Show with time trials last Saturday in Geelong, Victoria ,Australia. He rode my FXR while I rode my X. Amazing how these things draw attention. Without being arrogant or egotistical kind of feels good to have something that is so appreciated. Within minutes of parking I had people out with cameras.
People ask me what's it like and I occasionally tell them I couldn't get the wife to come so I brought my X!
Michael

So true Michael, motorcycle people REALLY enjoy seeing these bikes, and quite a few feel some sort of connection to them; remembering when they first saw one, wanting one, having had one. That is definitely part of the fun of CBX ownership, getting out to gatherings of motorcyclists and letting them enjoy it.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

NobleHops wrote:So true Michael, motorcycle people REALLY enjoy seeing these bikes, and quite a few feel some sort of connection to them; remembering when they first saw one, wanting one, having had one. That is definitely part of the fun of CBX ownership, getting out to gatherings of motorcyclists and letting them enjoy it.
I couldn`t agree more.

I just wish that some of those people coming up to me and wanting to chat about the bike would be cutie-pies as opposed to the variety of 40-70 year old dudes. ;)
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

About 2 weeks ago a mate and I went on a breakfast run, me on my X and he on his GS. Stopped for breakfast and when we got back to the bikes, I found a business card on the seat with a note asking to call if I was interested in selling. Not the first time this has happened!

Last weekend I was walking the dogs in the park near our house - I have 2 border collies (black and white running machines that are usually seen herding sheep) that need to get out a lot. I heard this unmistakeable sound (music actually). Stopped and watched as a beautiful looking CBX came round the corner. Watched it until it was out of sight and then listened for a bit longer. Noted that the carbs could do with some good cleaning, hmmm. The dogs had to get me out on my trance to carry on with the walk.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

Want2ride
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Want2ride »

After going to Las Vegas Mecum Auction in Jan '14 and losing out on a CBX (by not being willing to budge above $8k), We got busy when we arrived home and found a CBX on Craigslist about 200 miles away and bought it. My wife and drove down and picked it up that weekend. I got the '79 started running fullly last night for the 1st time! After buying it 11 months ago (running on 4 cylinders), it has been on the workstand most of that time. The usual neglected things are pretty much taken care of ((fluids changed, brakes cleaned w/new seals and lines, forks (new fluid and paint), headlight bucket fiberglass repair and paint, valve adjust, painting a few items)) and the last hurdle was the carb disassembly and cleaning which got finished over the weekend. It started and ran pretty well for not being sync'd as I'm waiting on a Motion Pro Carb adjusting tool and new coils are on order as the current units show visible cracks. But all that work and $ seems to be paying off.

I need to give a big thanks to CBXPerformance, David Silvers, Randakk's, Bill at Tims, Louis at UsedCBXParts, and my local Honda shop for parts and information. Mike Nixon and his carb cleaning book was a lifesaver. Finally the CBX club and website have been the foundation of getting the project rolling and now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

That about it but as you can imagine, I am pretty jazzed and grateful to be at this place where after about 30 years of off and on wanting a CBX to have a runner. Its not done yet and I'm sure when I told my wife that I was just about done spending money on the bike I was lying, but hey its getting to be an impressive machine to own, see and to hear.

:laughing-rollingyellow:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Congrats! - and be prepared for a lot of final little things to get it just right. Perhaps we talked at Las Vegas in January. I watched the CBXs pretty closely and talked to quite a few guys that were there kicking the tires on them. You very well may have been one of them. If you are coming down next January, give me a shout on here and we'll be sure to look you up.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Want2ride wrote:After going to Las Vegas Mecum Auction in Jan '14 and losing out on a CBX (by not being willing to budge above $8k), We got busy when we arrived home and found a CBX on Craigslist about 200 miles away and bought it. My wife and drove down and picked it up that weekend. I got the '79 started running fullly last night for the 1st time! After buying it 11 months ago (running on 4 cylinders), it has been on the workstand most of that time. The usual neglected things are pretty much taken care of ((fluids changed, brakes cleaned w/new seals and lines, forks (new fluid and paint), headlight bucket fiberglass repair and paint, valve adjust, painting a few items)) and the last hurdle was the carb disassembly and cleaning which got finished over the weekend. It started and ran pretty well for not being sync'd as I'm waiting on a Motion Pro Carb adjusting tool and new coils are on order as the current units show visible cracks. But all that work and $ seems to be paying off.

I need to give a big thanks to CBXPerformance, David Silvers, Randakk's, Bill at Tims, Louis at UsedCBXParts, and my local Honda shop for parts and information. Mike Nixon and his carb cleaning book was a lifesaver. Finally the CBX club and website have been the foundation of getting the project rolling and now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

That about it but as you can imagine, I am pretty jazzed and grateful to be at this place where after about 30 years of off and on wanting a CBX to have a runner. Its not done yet and I'm sure when I told my wife that I was just about done spending money on the bike I was lying, but hey its getting to be an impressive machine to own, see and to hear.

:laughing-rollingyellow:

Fantastic stuff. Looking forward to your shakedown ride!
Nils Menten

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Want2ride wrote:That about it but as you can imagine, I am pretty jazzed and grateful to be at this place where after about 30 years of off and on wanting a CBX to have a runner.
Wicked! :D
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I tried in vain to not add up the money I've spent on it when trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on some sessy billet Brembo calipers... :o
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

Finally I had some time to make fork brace for my cbx, 50 deg F today, I will be testing it for sure :D

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

That's a hell of a job, Mike! Really nice. You could go commercial with this! 8)

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

Like I've said before: it amazes me the work people put into their CBXs. Impressive.
Al

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

asacuta wrote:Like I've said before: it amazes me the work people put into their CBXs. Impressive.

What you guys said. Spool it up Mike, I'll help organize a group buy if you can make these in quantity! Looks gorgeous.
Nils Menten

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”