What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by wyly »

AshishNJ wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:21 am
heli_madken wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:43 pm
AshishNJ I just love this bike, it just fills me with awe whenever I see it. In your video it just looks and sounds totally awesome
👍

I am going to fool around some more with tail section. To me it still looks a little chopped
It's subjective it looks okay as is but only your opinion is what matters.

Maybe blend the tail in with the tail as it is with the oem creating a continuous line, photo editing is an easy way to try new looks.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Crash bar

Post by AshishNJ »

BA8431B7-F3EC-40B5-AB92-93DBA1A78760.png
70F5B37B-2AF0-4796-994C-AF622243EA09.png
Added some home made crash protection. Had some old pucks lying around and an aluminum bar . Hopefully better than nothing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

aahrens1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by aahrens1 »

Regards
Andreas

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Definitely on my list. The ones I have will help save tank from a driveway drop :)
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

The cases are stronger than the hangars and with the length of that 'puck' you might bend your frame too. You can purchase professional crash protection for the cylinder heads that bolt to the head itself from CSG and they are not expensive.

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Today it was time to remove the sump and oil strainer. Now, the strainer looked clean enough from the outside BUT this was far from the case when I removed it. Worryingly there appeared to be oil behind the strainer which you would have thought would have drained back into the sump so I'm glad I removed it. Upon close inspection the strainer was not clogged but it was not clear either. It appears that there was old dried on oil on the strainer screen, it's only when you remove the strainer can you see this so it is vital that all CBXers remove this when they next change the oil - don't forget to buy a new rubber sump gasket!

Once the strainer was removed the trusty compressor was used to blow out the mesh screen from below, from above and then again from below (it is not on the bike at this stage). Once it is totally clear it's ready to go back on. I should say it's well worth cleaning the inside of the sump too, often some of the heavier deposits lurk there and need to be removed.

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Does anyone know if the oil pick up funnel unscrews from the oil pump? It will make it much easier to re-install the gently warmed strainer mesh. Thanks

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, but you can't do it with the screen on. One of the great PITAs working on the CBX.

Dave

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

OK, apart from using very warm water to soften the rubber, do you have any tips for installing the screen?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I use a heat gun on any screens I've managed to save (that would be very few). The new ones have nice pliable rubber that you do not need to heat. No real tricks - it's a tough job.

Dave

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Very hot water and a lot of fiddling about with it worked. Given the lack of clearance between the sides of the strainer funnel and the edges of the sump body on the crankcase, I found that fitting the strainer to the front first and then rotating the strainer as you go to fit it around the rest of the edges until it is fully seated. Phew, I'm glad that's on now.

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Checked and 'adjusted' all 24 valve shims - a fiddly job but easy in many way with the right tools, small telescopic magnetic tool, proper bucket compressor e.g from David Silver spares, small flat blade screwdriver, a box full of shims and a digital micrometer.

BUT, I noticed that one of the oil pool plates looked odd and once removed I initially thought that the black paint was coming off the middle one, upon closer inspection it became clear that these are plastic coated but somehow water has gotten underneath the plastic and started to rust the metal. I've scrapped off all of the plastic inside of the plastic/rubber surround to stop and debris coming off inside the engine and causing who knows what damage. So, if you ever remove the cam cover, check yours. Not sure if you can buy new ones... anyone?

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

I also found it quicker to isolate the two feeler fingers I would use - one was .102mm and the second was .127mm, best check you have feelers that go down thsi small before you start. This way you can quickly check the gap is between the two 'limits' A light drag on the .102 followed by the .127 not fitting means they are correct. See also the pic of the tools etc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I have VERY limited knowledge about these engines but that is the first time i have heard of rust on or near the oil pool plates.
Seems odd to me.

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Well, I was surprised too but the camera never lies... see photo

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”