What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:What did you have done to your knee?
very old sports injured, I got the brace last october to straighten and support the knee and then I had surgery about 6 weeks ago in preparation for a total knee replacement yet to come...

I didn't expect the brace and latest surgery would cause me as much problem as it did today...if I can't adjust the brake pedal to the foot/leg maybe yoga will bring some flexibility back, most of today's ride was accomplished using only the front brake...the GS has a more forward/crouched riding position than the CBX so maybe I won't have any problems with the Z...

in spite of the problems it was great to get out and twist the throttle again! :D
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Well not something I did today but this was something I did a few weekend ago. Was tired of looking at my clutch lever perch so dug into the parts bin and found one. Sent it along with a few other parts to Tom over on the CB1100F site to have powder coated. He does fantastic work ! I don't know why I waited so long to do it.

JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

jt wrote:Well not something I did today but this was something I did a few weekend ago. Was tired of looking at my clutch lever perch so dug into the parts bin and found one. Sent it along with a few other parts to Tom over on the CB1100F site to have powder coated. He does fantastic work ! I don't know why I waited so long to do it.
That looks fantastic!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Thanks ! Need to do the lettering on the switches now.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

1st ride on the z today testing the upgrades I've done since last fall...RaceTech suspension is a great improvement, it's done a lot to eliminate the fork dive that was I experiencing with my new twin pot brakes installed last fall. Much improved braking and handling. :D and my knee brace that's causing braking and safety issues on the GS is not causing any problems on the z :D ...

I only went 70kms when the z developed a serious hesitation on acceleration, it limped home the last km :? :( ...I'm hopin' it just requires a change in plugs and it's not a carb issue, I'm not a fan of carb removal :x
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Wyly, I've had that problem on another bike when it got suddenly warm in the spring and has stations were​ still selling winter gas.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Maybe, I was thinking it might be fuel...I drained the fuel that was in the tank all winter and then bought 3 gals of low octane when I filled up the car...later I topped the tank up with supreme at another station...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

pulled no 1 plug and the gap was bridged :oops: running on five pots! so I changed them all even though the others looked ok...

starts easily, idles at 900rpm, twist the throttle from idle and the rpm climbs effortlessly and falls back quickly, yet when I take it on the road it still seemed to run rough under 3k, above that it pulls hard...maybe I'm just imaging a problem that doesn't exist, I'm not wearing earplugs like I normally do and hearing sounds that normally don't hear :?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:starts easily, idles at 900rpm, twist the throttle from idle and the rpm climbs effortlessly and falls back quickly, yet when I take it on the road it still seemed to run rough under 3k, above that it pulls hard...maybe I'm just imaging a problem that doesn't exist, I'm not wearing earplugs like I normally do and hearing sounds that normally don't hear :?
To quote the venerable Dave:
daves79x wrote:They all run good above 3000-4000 rpm - it's getting them to run right on the low-speed side that's the trick.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
wyly wrote:starts easily, idles at 900rpm, twist the throttle from idle and the rpm climbs effortlessly and falls back quickly, yet when I take it on the road it still seemed to run rough under 3k, above that it pulls hard...maybe I'm just imaging a problem that doesn't exist, I'm not wearing earplugs like I normally do and hearing sounds that normally don't hear :?
To quote the venerable Dave:
daves79x wrote:They all run good above 3000-4000 rpm - it's getting them to run right on the low-speed side that's the trick.
I wouldn't discount it's just my imagination :lol: ...I could visit another cbx owner and have him take it for a ride and see if they sense the same problem...

I'll start with the simplest fix first and go to Princess Auto today and pick up some Sea Foam and see if there's a change after a week's riding...

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Wyle, just an hours drive east of me, is out riding his CBX while my CBX is still :sleep: because another inch+ of wet soggy snow dumped yesterday is a reminder that here in the mountains, March/April is to unpredictable to be riding. :no
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:Wyle, just an hours drive east of me, is out riding his CBX while my CBX is still :sleep: because another inch+ of wet soggy snow dumped yesterday is a reminder that here in the mountains, March/April is to unpredictable to be riding. :no
16c where I am, great day for a ride :D ...would be better if the z wasn't having low rpm issues, I added some sea foam to the fuel and no improvement as yet...i'll run through two full tanks with sea foam in the next week and if there's still no improvement I'll be pulling out the carbs :( I've got the entire tilt remove and reconnect procedure down to around two hours but I still don't like doing it. :roll:

I'm glad I have my GSx as my backup ride. :D

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Sea Foam seems to be clearing the carbs, low end response is much improved and I've only gone through a half tank of fuel. :D

While out clearing my carbs I dropped by a friends home, he offered sell me a new acquisition not seen around here a grey market 1989 CBR250R Hurricane, very tempting but I think I'd rather have the CBR250RR :-) RR is the definitive crotch rocket

wife :evil: wouldn't be pleased... :(

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

wyly wrote:While out clearing my carbs I dropped by a friends home, he offered sell me a new acquisition not seen around here a grey market 1989 CBR250R Hurricane, very tempting but I think I'd rather have the CBR250RR :-) RR is the definitive crotch rocket

wife :evil: wouldn't be pleased... :(
Neither would your knees be :naughty:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:Neither would your knees be :naughty:
yeah probably not :( , the knees are not too pleased when I climb on the GS and it's ginormous compared to the tiny Hurricane...

spent 45 minutes on the Z today and carbs are now clear, it pulls hard with no hesitation from idle...Sea Foam is an awesome product... :D

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”