What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by cross »

I find what the problem is. One of the coils has insulation burned and copper windings are exposed. Additionally, brush terminal that's coming out of one of coils, the one that attaches to brush holder is unsoldered from rest of the connectors so it's loose. It going through one of the connectors between the coils, I would say that it should be soldered. This is right by the coil that has burned insulation. Now what happened first and caused the other to fail I'm not sure but in either case I need new starter.
So what is everyone recommending here, new one from ricks or eBay or used. I already have rebuilt kit
Thanks
Sasha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

I think that a Rick's starter has the positive terminal on the wrong end of the starter. I
believe that otherwise it is good. Just requires a small change is positive wiring.
Nothing wrong with a good used one either. You even have new brushes to put in it.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Thank you Phill, I'll post wanted add on here to see if someone has one to sell
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Just curious, should there be any play and if so how much in a starter shaft once starter is assembled?
In and out play not radial

Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The 2 used ones i have in the pile have approx. 2mm/1/16" of in/out play.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Does anyone know how much play is permissible? I have second starter and could add shims from bad one to compensate

Thanks
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Learnt the really hard way to check throttle cable installation on the carbs AND connect it up fully to the throttle tube ass'y and confirm correct operation BEFORE you:

a) install the carbs & airbox;
b) tilt the engine back into home position and
c) put ALL the engine mounts back in snugged up good'n tight.

Sure as hell wasn't gonna work too well with a throttle that opened the butterflys by rolling the throttle FORWARDS! What a luvverly little afternoon's surprise THAT was.

Coulda' been worse though, at least I didn't have to pull the carbs back off ! DOH! Profanity tempered with patience helped HEAPS to get that pesky PULL cable into the right position. But hey, I finally got it done and peace reigns once again in my shed.

Only myself to blame really, but I knew I didn't like Motion Pro cables for a reason - the mounting nuts where they attach to the brackets on the carbs are the same length on Motion Pro's, and yet very different lengths on OEM, which has always been my guide in the past.

And honest Sir, I really tried so VERY hard not to mung it up - BUGGER!

(Ye olde 'measure twice, cut once' saying springs to mind)

Cheers... Tony (now aka 'flexy fingers'!)

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I have a feeling you are not the only one to have done this. Don't ask how I know.
SCH Rochester, MN

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Beat me to it, Spencer.

Tony, perhaps a re-hydration of Kirin instead of Fosters would assist in the re-connection.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

that would mean I only guessed right every time I've re-connected mine :D ...it's nice to see even the smart owners mess up, I can learn from their mistakes as well as my own...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I rode mine to work, and then back home again - as if I were a normal person with a normal bike.

Looks good with a bit of mist
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

my day was spent cleaning crude and carbon off valves, shim buckets, shims, springs lot's of them :( ... and I'm still not done :violin: ...

and then some chain maintenance on the GS as prep for a group ride tomorrow with a Meet n' Ride club...I'll see if the ancient GS can keep up the cbr 600, yfz 600r, victories, a bonny, africa twin, super tenere...I already know I can leave my bro-in-laws HD behind 8)
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I took a friend from work out for her very first motorcycle ride! As we were walking to the bike, she said she didn't even know that motorcycles could go on highways.

:lol:

Anyhow, we went out for a quick 40 minute ride - a bit of in-town stop & go, some semi-scenic highway and cloverleaf time, and back downtown to work. She said she had a great time, and I got the double pleasure of a mid-day ride as a cap to an otherwise boring and frustrating work week, and introducing someone new to the pleasures of motorcycling.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote: She said she had a great time, and I got the double pleasure of a mid-day ride as a cap to an otherwise boring and frustrating work week, and introducing someone new to the pleasures of motorcycling.
as long as you don't forget to tell the wife of your pleasure :lol:...you never know who may have seen you and report back to the your real boss of your pleasurable excursion, better you telling her than one of her friends ...I find that's worked well for me in the past...

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:as long as you don't forget to tell the wife of your pleasure :lol:...you never know who may have seen you and report back to the your real boss of your pleasurable excursion, better you telling her than one of her friends ...I find that's worked well for me in the past...
Haha, to paraphrase Dusk 'Til Dawn... I might be a dumbass, but I'm not a f'n dumbass! :laughing-rollingyellow:

The only thing I've ever kept from my wife is the amount of money I've put into the CBX. Then it came up when we were out with a friend and he asked how much it's taken to get here. I said "I don't really keep track", and she said "I think he's gotta have $50k in that thing" - and I was like "WAIT, you thought I had spent FIFTY on this bike and you were OK with it?!?" :o

Anyhow, yesterday I took the bike to the shop for its post-break-in valve adjustment, and a list of about 20 little items I want sorted out before the end of the season - including some nice new Braking CM55 pads for my Brembo 4-piston calipers. I am so excited about those pads - since the caliper swap I've been riding the old OEM pads. They're good, but not great - I suspect that they were contaminated with brake fluid or oil at some point before or during the fitting to my bike. I'm especially hopeful that the CM55's will give a better initial bite.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”