What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Syscrush wrote:
Gearheadgregg wrote:The only good thing about pods "if any" is fast removal of the carbs without engine tilt..definitely not expecting too much smoothness with the Pod and CV combo ,,they were on the pike when purchased ..just like every other part that was missing when i give up the Stock Air Box and rejet will be a must ! Cant stand lousy running motors. The Top mount on the carbs must be removed to reach the lock nut for sync, last carb sync was prolly never ? I will do it so it can go 37 more years for next sync, hoping my bench sync was close :-)
It sounds like you're not looking to change your setup, but I've often wondered if a setup like this would work well with the CBX carbs. I know that guy who designed this for his CB550 and lots of SOHC4 people swear by them:

SOHC4 Honda Anti-Pod
Cool i checked out the link,,well i ran Pods 40 years ago and put 40.000 miles on my K1 CB 750 with the pods it ran great ! ..and still have my 1978 Cb750 F3 with 17.000 original miles..But were the dynamics come in with the CBX is the CV carb Vacuum slide is problematic ..Had a 40 mm Keihen CV single on my Supercharged GL 1500 for about a week and gave it away and installed a Mechanical HSR Flatslide 13 years ago and tuning was so much better in the Mid and Idle circuit ,Also before i start spouting off i need to get the CBX out of the shop and see what happens..hard to say...Might just be surprised ! good or bad hahaha :lol: btw i rejetted my F3 shimmed the stock needle and 1 step lager Slow jet ..Easy cold start and no Bluing Chrome pipes Runs strong and clean !! Better Mid range Punch ImageImage

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Finally got down to trying to figure out my intermitant misfire. I've narrowed the misfire down to cyl 1,2 or 3. I found it to be on the left bank of cyl's by holding my hand near the rear of each muffler while running the bike at 3000 rpm. Right side exhaust has a smooth flow of air, the left side exhaust is also smooth but there is a chuff in the air flow every once and a while.
So, I changed the NGK DR8EA plug in each cyl with a new one and changed each plug wire with a test plug wire which was checked for spec resistance via a multi meter as was the NGK resistor cap. I changed the plug and wire one cyl at a time. After making the change on a cyl l ran the bike checking for the chuff in the air flow before moving to the next cyl and repeating the change. Frustratingly I have still not found which of the 3 cyl's is intermitantly misfiring as the chuff was there after each cyl was changed over to new a plug and the test plug wire.
1- The exhausts are a split design with no connector pipe between them so Its not cyl 4,5,6.
2- Mike Nixon rebuilt the carbs in the spring (boy did they need it)
3- I'm running pods, but that may change.

So, what am I doing wrong? And where do I go from here? :?
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Perhaps just pull one plug wire at a time. Running it on 2,3,4,5,6. Then 1,3,4,5,6 etc. until the miss disappears.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Have you checked the air cut off valve gasket on the side of the carbs,careful with the very small O ring? Can cause a misfire on the over run if hole in the rubber gasket. Just a thought.
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

cbxmel wrote:Have you checked the air cut off valve gasket on the side of the carbs,careful with the very small O ring? Can cause a misfire on the over run if hole in the rubber gasket. Just a thought.
Replaced by Mike during rebuild but checked it anyway. No holes.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

FalldownPhil wrote:Perhaps just pull one plug wire at a time. Running it on 2,3,4,5,6. Then 1,3,4,5,6 etc. until the miss disappears.
Best,
Phil
Did this and I think No#2 cyl is the problem.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Well after following Phils suggestion I think the issue is N0#2 cyl, but know I see that I've started smoking out the left side exhaust so looks like the intermitant misfire might be linked to a bigger issue. :(
Looks like I'm going to have to book it into a shop for an evaluation because I've exhausted my capabilities.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Maybe you can gather a few of your local CBX friends to have a look at it. Beer and BBQ is cheaper than shop rates and very few shops have anyone qualified to work on a CBX.
I think I saw a photo recently with at least 3 CBX's in it.
Best,
Phil

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

FalldownPhil wrote:Maybe you can gather a few of your local CBX friends to have a look at it. Beer and BBQ is cheaper than shop rates and very few shops have anyone qualified to work on a CBX.
I think I saw a photo recently with at least 3 CBX's in it.
Best,
Phil
well one of those three was mine :? and what I know about such things is well above my pay grade ...
but yeah there are other very knowledgeable cbx owners who around here who may be able to help I'll see what I can do to help...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:but then to counter that we have many who say they've encountered issues running without the oem airbox...mouse has pods and has said his Z doesn't feel right, I have an oem airbox and find my Z pulls smoothly right through the rev range with no hesitations, hiccups or burbles. When mouse gets his Z running efficiently maybe we'll have to switch rides to get a better comparison.
Getting CV carbs to work right without an airbox is something that I always saw as an impossible feat, that the best one could hope for would be spending so much time on tuning that you forget what the stock setup feels like. :lol: But the guy who designed the anti-pod knows his stuff and they are very highly regarded in the SOHC world.

I'm not saying that this is the way to go with a CBX, but if I wanted CV carbs but didn't want the airbox for some reason, I would want to try the anti-pod intakes.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

I am sure that you are correct about the anti-pod unit on a four.
Sadly, this is not apples to apples. The CBX is an entirely different animal than a four even though both used CV carbs.
The CBX has 3 different length intake tracts and there must be compensation for those differences. Honda did it inside the airbox.
Best,
Phil

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

FalldownPhil wrote:I am sure that you are correct about the anti-pod unit on a four.
Sadly, this is not apples to apples. The CBX is an entirely different animal than a four even though both used CV carbs.
The CBX has 3 different length intake tracts and there must be compensation for those differences. Honda did it inside the airbox.
Best,
Phil
maybe this is too obvious or I'm not understanding the problem but why not just alter the intake lengths?
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Picked up the new rear tire for my '79.
It is a bastard size 150/70-18 so i am always worried about build dates. This one was produced 2 months ago. Outstanding!

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

Spent the week putting my engine back together for my current restoration.

Have completely stripped it, had everything vapour blasted and painted the cases / covers.

Don't have much history to the bike, but it has been off the road since 2000.

Someone had obviously stripped the engine before, and made a few mistakes putting it back together:
- camshaft timing was out by one tooth
- primary shaft timing out by one tooth, ignition timing out as a result,
- gearbox mechanism in side cover not assembled correctly
- lots of debris on the oil filter screen (gasket material by the looks of it).

I suspect the bike did run after the rebuild, but it couldn't have run very well, and gear selection would have been a bit hit and miss.

What I can't work out is why they stripped it in the first place - everything checks out, and nothing has obviously been changed / replaced internally.

Engine before:
20160126_163417.jpg
20160520_125504.jpg
Crankcases after Vapour blasting and painting:
20160705_102913.jpg
Bottom End assembly (new chains courtesy of Brent):
20160705_112729.jpg
20160705_164750.jpg
20160706_105747.jpg

Cylinders:
20160706_160630.jpg
20160707_115021.jpg
Cylinder Head:
20160707_160112.jpg
finished article except for the side covers:
20160708_151127.jpg
Next week should have the rolling chassis ready for the engine.

Paul.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Well done Paul,

An excellent job.

Mel #1876
:flags-australia: :flags-canada: :flags-usa: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”