What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by cross »

Today was a beautiful santa ana day with low 80's and i just had to take my Duc out for a short ride for coffee and breakfast
Finished up with the cam chain,
Closed the valve cover,
Cleaned carbs a bit, checked adjustment of the floats since i have a tool now and adjusted choke (i hope it works this time) bench synced carbs as they were off and now they seem to be about even.
Re-installed carbs, tilted the engine back up
Next to come: Torquing all the engine hangers, cleaning and adjusting drive chain and a complete overhaul of the brakes,
Stay tuned!
Today was a beautiful Santa Ana day with low 80's and i just had to take my Duc out for a short ride for coffee and breakfast otherwise i would of been more productive!

Thanks everyone for help with the cam chain details! Now i see that it really is not all that difficult!

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

I put my rebuilt engine back into it's frame. Went for a short ride. There's an oil leak from the cam cover and the carbs need a bit of a sync so will try sort that during the week. I have my feelers out for a good 18 inch CB1100R front wheel to replace the 16 inch VF750 I currently have on the bike. The rear shock has an air leak so that also needs to be sorted out at some stage.
20160207_153548.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

oooooh
Is that a early 60's MG GT in the garage Mello? :-)
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

Mouse wrote:oooooh
Is that a early 60's MG GT in the garage Mello? :-)
It's a '73 but it has the incorrect grill badge for this model year so you are forgiven :D I think this badge looks better than the completely red badge it should have.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I love mg's and roadsters of that era. I used to have '74 alfa spider back in high school and loved it, great car!
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

I finished refurbishing side cases as a last step to finally getting mine back on the road.

For those that remember, a few months back I posted about a red light runner causing a bit of a boo boo to my CBX. Well, with all the other goings ons, I didn't feel like posting much here til it all went and dealt with. Well, finally done. To keep insurers from total loss on my beloved bike, the dealer here which deserves a plug

Alsport in Regina!!!!

Went above and beyond to ensure it got fixed right and to insurer's requirements. To keep proper patina, and simply availability, I did have to get used parts brought in. Some clean up and looking back up to spiffiness. In addition, they even let me do some work myself and bring back to help keep labour down. They checked it, signed it off as complete and a bit under budget.

Side note, I thought I had what appeared to be RC eng exhaust, but alas, is just MAC. Though the one muffer got a bit of a tiny scuff on it. As such, insurance is REQUIRING the dealer to replace "THE WHOLE SYSTEM" because they don't understand slip-on. Service worked more magic, and as such, will be having brand new exhaust \o/

Should be back home this weekend if all is well. Poor bike has had to sit outside when waiting for parts. Cannot fault the service department, space is finite and is a tough bike to keep moving back and forth. :3

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

RJ CB650 wrote:For those that remember, a few months back I posted about a red light runner causing a bit of a boo boo to my CBX. Well, with all the other goings ons, I didn't feel like posting much here til it all went and dealt with. Well, finally done.

Should be back home this weekend if all is well.
That's great news - good luck getting it all 100% sorted out!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Reinstalled carbs and put everything back together with new air and fuel filters and spark plugs, fired it up and she sounds nice! Much smoother than before, I think this time i got the cam chain adjusted properly (with help of few individuals on here).
My choke adjustment worked and i do have fast idle when it's engaged. Things are still not perfect but at least idle doesn't hold before it drops all the way down so I'm guessing that bench sync worked too. There is also significantly less nose from the valve train and clutch.
Next time i should definitely replace my throttle cables though.
I was going to do change my brake lines this weekend but, i'm riding it today to Palm Springs for few days. It's mid 80's here and i just can't help it!

Thanks all for the help and happy valentines to celebrants!

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Have a good ride Cross!!!

Long weekend, alas, no CBX. Still having to wait for insurers to sign off on it. Poor CBX getting exposed to snow as it has to go outside at service place waiting for paperwork to be signed off.

Though I got my nighthawk to work on. CBX is the mistress but nighthawk is the one I take home to introduce the family. I remounted the exhaust to be neater and more secure. For past two years I just had it quick strapped together. Did some carb work and fixed a leaky diaphragm and while is all apart, cleaning up the frame and the hard to reach parts. Goo Gone works quite well and safe for cleaning it all up. I get a giddy smile on my face riding that bike, I just love it to pieces ^.^

For the CBX, got all my replacement panels cleaned up and ready to go, my old case metal bits swapped onto the new one. Going to order myself a Corbin seat for the CBX this week I hope as well, just waiting for a reply from their canadian distributor. Thinking I will get a gunslinger style more than the canyon dualsport. I don't ride with passengers nor do I have any intention of it as well. I am just a bit tired of looking at the icky Vtwin style cruiser grips and saddle....

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

RJ, the Gunfighter from Corbin is only offered for the '79/'80 so you are stuck with the Dual Sport.
I have both, like them both, but prefer the Dual Sport. A bit more room to move around.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I'm sorry to hear about you bike. Get a cover and cover it, it's the least you can do.
My ride to Palm springs was great and bike ran beautifully with the exception of my theottle not returning all the way by it self but I'll tend to it when I get back.
It was 90 here today, chilling by the pool with beer, it's so relaxing!
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:RJ, the Gunfighter from Corbin is only offered for the '79/'80 so you are stuck with the Dual Sport.
I have both, like them both, but prefer the Dual Sport. A bit more room to move around.
I had thought that, but that is the standard template corbin uses. However they will do their other styles for the bikes if requested. The one listed on site just has the faster turnaround and is the most common/recommended. The main thing is the seat pan. Essentially it is the single seat cut I am looking for. Will have to wait and hear from them as to how much extra that will cost.
cross wrote:I'm sorry to hear about you bike. Get a cover and cover it, it's the least you can do.
My ride to Palm springs was great and bike ran beautifully with the exception of my theottle not returning all the way by it self but I'll tend to it when I get back.
It was 90 here today, chilling by the pool with beer, it's so relaxing!
The cover would probably do more harm than good. The winters up here in the prairies can have serious temperature fluctuations. Putting a cover on it, even a proper breathing one would trap moisture. Plus risk damaging taking it on and off. If it was able to be parked somewhere indoors, I would agree. Well, not much I can do. Should be back home soon and they take it inside as well. The fairing and stuff is off with the rest of the cluster protected and the battery is out so it will be okay all buttoned up. Tank is really only concern but it will be fine with a full tank of ethanol free and stabilized.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I guess you are right. Being covered, if after the rain comes sun, it wil not be good.
My uncle had beautiful '66 t-bird that got distroyed sitting under gazebo style garage. Here in california after the rain always comes hot sun and car got so rusty from the moisture evaporation and being under that gazebo, eventhough one side was completely open, after few years car bubbled up everywhere as if it came from Midwest.
I would probably keep it covered while it's snowing and raining and uncover it immidiately after that
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

cross wrote:I guess you are right. Being covered, if after the rain comes sun, it wil not be good.
My uncle had beautiful '66 t-bird that got distroyed sitting under gazebo style garage. Here in california after the rain always comes hot sun and car got so rusty from the moisture evaporation and being under that gazebo, eventhough one side was completely open, after few years car bubbled up everywhere as if it came from Midwest.
I would probably keep it covered while it's snowing and raining and uncover it immidiately after that
That would work, but end of day the dealership even taking the time to fix it is beyond what I would consider normal service. Working with me to get replacement OEM fairing and parts and helping to negotiate with insurance that it is the way to go vs repaint or crappy aftermarket, etc. Expecting them to always be covering and uncovering, well, end of day they have a job to do too. The fact they did so much to help me to ensure it didn't get totaled off was massive. If it was a salvage titled, I would have had to buy it back from insurance. They rate parts value so high that I would have only had about 1000 bucks from insurance after buying it back from em.

So being exposed to a bit of weather vs having to spend thousands out of pocket to fix somebody else's mistake. I will take some nervousness. Cold and dry means no rust as long as not exposed to salt. Frost is the big hitter which is the risk of covering, getting frost inside stuff vs just surface frost. The main concerns of mine is only the gauges as long as they stay sealed and don't crack the face/needles as well as that my cluster still has all the original break in decals.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Trouble sleeping so I went out to do the valves as well. ugh... I need to organize. Cringe in fear those with shiny garage floors!

Bit of a mess where the CBX parks...

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”