What Tires?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What Tires?

Post by EMS »

The problem with a naked CBX is, that it does not have any aerodynamics. With a rider on top the bike cuts through the wind like a barn door. The 100 horsepower a stock CBX puts out, will probably get it to 130-135mph - if you give it a long enough flat stretch.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

In the Rollie Free position I would be more aerodynamic :laughing-rolling:

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Speedo top speed says 80 mph :p

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

hondaman160mph wrote:In the Rollie Free position I would be more aerodynamic :laughing-rolling:
I do not say this often, please....NO pics.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

RJ CB650 wrote:Speedo top speed says 80 mph :p
That was mandated by the Feds for the U.S. only. In the rest of the world, the speedo kept saying either 150mph or 240km/h

JoeReid
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by JoeReid »

I have 2000+ miles on Kenda Challenger K657s, 100/90-19 57H and 130/90-18 69H. I'm not the most aggressive rider but all the wear is not in the center of my tread. My '82 Pro-Link is completely stock except for Pipemasters and has no unusual handling characteristics. Because all tires continue to vulcanize at ambient temperatures with age, replacing 5 year old tires with new ones makes a dramatic difference. I'm extremely pleased with my Kendas when compared with the Contis they replaced even taking age into account.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks for the feedback, Joe.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

red_dog100
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by red_dog100 »

Has anybody had any experience with the Conti Classic Attack? It is a radial ply construction tire in the classic 18" & 19" sizes. One of the editors of Classic Motorcycles magazine put them on a Laverda and said the difference in handling was almost unbelievable.
I am a new member with a basically stock 81, it doesn't have the saddlebags,does have a Corbin seat (I have short legs) and has been repainted from its silver,faded to gray,to "Copperhead"copper and metallic blue.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

red_dog100 wrote:Has anybody had any experience with the Conti Classic Attack? .
Welcome red_dog100!
I have the Conti Classic Attacks on my BMW R100S. I cannot really comment on the tread life as they have only about 500 miles on them and I dare not to rate them for handling either. I don't really scrape the valve covers on the ground.
But so far, I like the tires.

Would like to see some pictures of your unusual color '81! 8)

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I can't comment (because I don't know) about the Contis performance. However, just a word of experience: If you use any tire with a smaller diameter than stock (and that's most any other tire size) be cautious when parking. The bike will stand a bit straighter on the side stand; and, it will lift with noticeably greater effort onto the center stand. Just little things; BUT, you want to be aware.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The Conti Classic Attack comes in a 90 aspect ratio. 100/90-19 and 120/90-18 should be fine for early CBXes :think:

red_dog100

Post by red_dog100 »

EMS wrote:
red_dog100 wrote:Has anybody had any experience with the Conti Classic Attack? .
Welcome red_dog100!
I have the Conti Classic Attacks on my BMW R100S. I cannot really comment on the tread life as they have only about 500 miles on them and I dare not to rate them for handling either. I don't really scrape the valve covers on the ground.
But so far, I like the tires.

Would like to see some pictures of your unusual color '81! 8)

I posted a pic of the Copperhead CBX along with my other mechanical Oddball in eye candy. One of my flying buddies dubbed my home Wilsons Landing and the name stuck

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

red_dog100 wrote:
I posted a pic of the Copperhead CBX along with my other mechanical Oddball in eye candy. One of my flying buddies dubbed my home Wilsons Landing and the name stuck

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”